Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2011, 12:54 PM

5,975 posts, read 13,112,439 times

Advertisements

So, I want to check out your fair Queen city when I have a break around March 16-18. (Thursday, Friday, Sat. morning).

And here is what I am thinking. Feel free to give any advice.

Stroll around Fountain square vicinity, as well as the riverfront. I'm definitely going to eat some skyline chili, some Graeaters ice cream, and Montgromery Inn. Cincinnati is known for its delicious local grub it seems.

The historic architecture is a big thing for me to see, so I am going to spend some time, around the nice, revitalized, southern part of Over-the-Rhine like the entertainment district around Main and Central Parkway and see the music hall. In terms of architecture in that area, there is nothing comparable in Chicago. It feels more east coast, or even European.

Is there anything performing wise thats within a reasonable budget say on Thursday or Friday night at music hall or nearby?

I also want to stroll through the woods that give the neighborhoods their character. I'm always very interested in natural areas within a city, and would like to hike around Mt. Airy Forest. Is that generally, for a 30 year old guy to hike around. Don't want to sound like a wuss, just making sure.

I might also check out some hiking trails at the Clifton Gorge on the Little Miami possibly as well.

Sounds good to you? Any advice/suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 02:31 PM

577 posts, read 1,280,053 times
Here are some of my favorites:

Fountain Square
Taft Museum
Dixie Terminal
Ingalls (ACI) Building
Roebling Suspension Bridge
Bicentennial Commons
Eden Park
Art Museum
Mt. Adams
Contemporary Arts Center
Garfield Place
Gateway Quarter
Germania Building (corner of 12th and Walnut)
Main Street
Music Hall
Hamilton County Memorial Hall
Findlay Market
Union Terminal (Museum Center)

The Symphony and the Pops are not performing the weekend you mentioned but the Ensemble Theatre has a play that weekend. Tickets are $31-34 each. The Ensemble is on Vine near 12th Street.

As far as other things that will be going on that weekend, check out City Beat for a complete list: CityBeat | Cincinnati News, Music, Art, Movies, Opinion, Events, Theater, Dance and Literature |

Old 02-21-2011, 06:01 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
CityBeat reco seconded!

Safety is not an issue in any of the city parks during the day. But particularly in Burnet Woods, Eden Park, and Mt Airy Forest, be aware that despite the century Cincy still has an overzealous "vice squad" in the police department. In these times of budgetary hysteria they stay well funded to entrap males traveling solo and generate "solicitation of lewd etc activity" arrests guaranteed to draw headlines. Be sure to not scratch where all of us guys itch from time to time, unless nobody's watching, and be mindful of where any conversation a man strikes up with you is headed. There are men who are partially or fully same-sex-oriented who "carry on" in those three parks - not always discreetly - but they're avoided easily enough.
Bellevue Hill Park, French Park, LaBoiteaux Woods, and Ault Park are just four of the expansive natural areas within or right next to the city limits which are not known as "cruisy." Mt Storm Park is smaller, but has some spectacular views (not that Eden Park and many of the others don't too.) So does Devou Park across the river in Covington. Then there are the county parks...

You might like to check the College-Conservatory of Music (CCM) link from The University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio for possible low/no-cost classical music performances. CCM is nationally renowned, and its Corbett Auditorium is an easily found landmark north of Calhoun St. Some of the museums also host musicians from time to time.

If your interest in historic architecture extends to houses, Cincy can definitely get your shutter clicking. There's a wealth of photos to be found in threads within this forum for inspiration. Showplace homes (if not mansions) abound in the gaslight district of Clifton, across North Avondale, throughout East Walnut Hills, and along/near Grandin Rd in Hyde Park. Some architectural gems - including the embattled Gamble Mansion on Werk Rd - can also be found "across the viaducts" in Westwood. And the northernmost-within-the-city community of Hartwell, plus the adjacent suburb Wyoming and more distant Glendale, have plenty of large fine homes still in place that were originally built for industrial and railroad tycoons. (Stay east of Route 4 in Hartwell and Wyoming, and east of 747 in Glendale; the treasure zones are south of Galbraith Rd in Hartwell, between Pendery and East Mills Ave's in Wyoming, and south of Sharon Rd in Glendale.)

If a place to sleep (assuming this is to be done indoors) has yet to be decided, I'm always happy to hype the Parker House B & B in "CUF" (Clifton/University/Fairview Heights.) The owners are a trip unto themselves and take great care of their 19-Century mansion. If the rates weren't low enough, their only having three guest rooms also means no "hospitality tax." For Web info and reservations visit The Parker House, Cincinnati, Ohio Bed and Breakfast, Hotel, Travel . To me the choice between a Holiday Inn Express or Marriott room at a higher cost than a place with hand-painted murals on its 12-foot ceilings is a no-brainer.

For good eats, you never have to go hungry in the Queen City although the local Jewish population - and goyim of taste like me - still weep for the long-gone Izzy's and Upper Krust. I happen to be one of those who shows the flag for Graeter's, but Aglamesis Brothers in Oakley is the ice cream parlor of choice for many and I definitely don't lack love for them too. Here's a very abbreviated list of good spots to chow down in da Nati:

Quatman Café (Norwood, not within the city limits I KNOW but surrounded by Cincinnati) - burgers!!!
Song Long - Vietnamese/Chinese - and Amma's Kitchen - vegetarian South Indian (Roselawn, not far west of French Park)
BBQ Revue (Madisonville - big pig statue in front), Goodie's (College Hill), and Pit-to-Plate (incongruously enough in Mt Healthy) - ribs n' soul food
Jean-Ro Bistro (downtown) - casual French and a place to be seen in
Terry's Turf Club (East End/Linwood) - burgers!!!
Alabama Fish - 3 guesses - and Tucker's - standard-setter for greasy-spoon diners (Over-the-Rhine)
Ron's Roost (Bridgetown/Western Hills) and Greyhound Tavern (Fort Mitchell KY) - FRIED CHICKEN
Also in OTR, excuse me the Gateway Quarter, the place to be seen called Senate is winning much love for their French fries as well as their "creative cocktails."

I've done smarter things than compile a list like that at suppertime...

Old 02-21-2011, 09:04 PM

17,534 posts, read 13,324,825 times
See an earlier thread on The Queen City Tour
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati