U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 01:43 PM

5 posts, read 6,697 times

Advertisements

My family is considering relocation to Cinci. The job in question is downtown.

We have young elementary students in the family.

Short commute is important (<30 minutes, <15 minutes even better), and schools are of the utmost importance. I don't place a high priority on the schools that are perceived to be *the* best so much as a high priority on schools that offer the best things to their students. It has been my experience that the schools perceived to be the best often have some more snobbishness in the community, but I understand that may not be the case, either. Great academics, welcoming of great teaching practices, preparing students very well for college and life.

We're accustomed to big high schools (600/graduating class) and now live in a town with 300/class. I can't say we have a preference for one over the other.

Want a nice neighborhood - kids outside playing, moms/dads chatting.

Budget? I don't know. Probably up to $500,000 for a 4 bedroom. 2000+ square feet. Preferably with some major renovations completed already. Have no compelling need to spend that much, if our wish list can be found for $350,000 then that's fine, too.

Where would you look with these things in mind? Suggest some towns to consider! Newer build, older build --- it's all fine by me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 03:05 PM

2,886 posts, read 3,949,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathbooboo View Post
My family is considering relocation to Cinci. The job in question is downtown.

We have young elementary students in the family.

Short commute is important (<30 minutes, <15 minutes even better), and schools are of the utmost importance. I don't place a high priority on the schools that are perceived to be *the* best so much as a high priority on schools that offer the best things to their students. It has been my experience that the schools perceived to be the best often have some more snobbishness in the community, but I understand that may not be the case, either. Great academics, welcoming of great teaching practices, preparing students very well for college and life.

We're accustomed to big high schools (600/graduating class) and now live in a town with 300/class. I can't say we have a preference for one over the other.

Want a nice neighborhood - kids outside playing, moms/dads chatting.

Budget? I don't know. Probably up to $500,000 for a 4 bedroom. 2000+ square feet. Preferably with some major renovations completed already. Have no compelling need to spend that much, if our wish list can be found for $350,000 then that's fine, too.

Where would you look with these things in mind? Suggest some towns to consider! Newer build, older build --- it's all fine by me.
Ft. Mitchell, Kentucky. Beechwood School District.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:54 PM

3,335 posts, read 5,725,886 times
read through this thread if you haven't already:

Looking for good schools in area with older housing. Assistance appreciated.

consider clifton gaslights area and send your kids to some of the excellent CPS magnet schools. you'll avoid (some of) the snobbishness yet be in a great community.

you aren't going to get a sub 15 minute commute outside of the City proper

Old 02-25-2011, 06:54 PM

171 posts, read 294,976 times
In Ohio, the state does annual report cards on all districts so you pretty much know which districts are the best. The top within the Cincinnati area from last year's report card (in the order the came in):

1.) Wyoming
2.) Madeira
3.) Mason
4.) Indain Hill (Indian Hill, Kenwood)
5.) Mariemont (Mariemont and Terrace Park)
6.) Sycamore (Montgomery, Blue Ash)

You really can't go wrong academically with any of these. They are historically considered the solid districts and are always well funded and sought after for schools. If schools are what you are after, I would stick to one of the districts above.

Here's my opinions on them, somewhat limited as I didn't look into several of the districts due to size.

1.) I live in Wyoming, so I love it here and am also going to be biased towards it. Smaller size district (~175 kids per grade) Most racially diverse of all the districts mentioned. Some people seem to feel it's a closed community, but I have never felt that (and we are new to town). Check out the Wyoming thread with any questions on Wyoming. It's a bit of a gem surrounded by less appealing areas, which throws some people off of the area. Before we moved here, I researched it, and it has very low crime.

2.) Maderia - Very small district (~125 kids per grade). I have no idea the stereotype of this area. Maybe someone can weigh in on it

3.) Mason - too far out commute wise, so I would rule it out. It's also a big district (~675 kids per grade)

4.) Indian Hill - I think you will have a hard time finding a house in Indian Hill in your price range. Indian Hill is where all the estates are, so this will probably be your snobbiest area. Smaller district (~165 kids per grade)

5.) Mariemont - Very cute town. I've heard very good things about it, although a few people I know from the area say that it lacks greatly in diversity. Terrance Park also feeds this district. I head wonderful things about it as well, although also not diverse. Small district (~110 kids per grade)

6.) Sycamore - Large district (~500 kids per grade). Montgomery has a very high brow reputation. Blue Ash seems to be a bit more down to earth. People may want to weigh in on it's image as well.

You should have no problem finding a house in any of the districts mentioned above in your price range (except Indian Hill).

Old 02-25-2011, 10:05 PM

723 posts, read 1,784,502 times
Also consider:

Fort Thomas, Kentucky: just across the Ohio River on I-471, great community, 15-minute commute to downtown.

Turpin Hills/Anderson Township, Ohio: many superb neighborhoods, 20-30 minute commute to downtown.

Old 02-26-2011, 05:03 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,358,349 times
I will just comment the Kenwood section (Sycamore Township) which is in Indian Hill school district may very well have housing within what you are looking for, probably closer to the $350K or under. Commute would be roughly 30 minutes.

Indian Hill proper is an area of large estates, but Kenwood is a more modest area which borders both Blue Ash and Montgomery.

Another comment, Madeira has had top ranked schools for the last 1/2 a century plus which is about when I went to school there. During the time Madeira was being built out, GE Evandale was exploding as an employer. Many of the engineers and other professionals transferred into Cincinnati by GE needed a place to live. At that time, early 50s, the selections were minimal. Madeira was ripe for expansion and many of these people elected to live there. Being the professionals they were, education was high on their list for the children. I definitely attribute this influx and their demands for good schools as to why Madeira reached the higher plateau of education. They slipped a little in recent years but have come roaring back. In my opinion, biased because I grew up there, Madeira is primarily a community of modest homes. Home values remain high due specifically to the reasonable commute to the City and the schools.

Old 02-26-2011, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
read through this thread if you haven't already:

Looking for good schools in area with older housing. Assistance appreciated.

consider clifton gaslights area and send your kids to some of the excellent CPS magnet schools. you'll avoid (some of) the snobbishness yet be in a great community.

you aren't going to get a sub 15 minute commute outside of the City proper
With due respect, I think my suggestion would result in a shorter commute time than yours would. Or at least a similar time. And although I'm not intimately familiar with Beechwood, I don't think there's really that much of a "snobbiness" issue.

Old 03-06-2011, 02:23 PM

Thanks for the insight. Online, at least, I think I'm finding the kinds of housing that I'd like in Anderson Township, Terrace Park, and Milford/Miami Township.

Good to know that should still be a <30 minute commute.

Comments on the Milford school district?

I do need to look into KY as well.

Old 03-06-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathbooboo View Post
Thanks for the insight. Online, at least, I think I'm finding the kinds of housing that I'd like in Anderson Township, Terrace Park, and Milford/Miami Township.

Good to know that should still be a <30 minute commute.

Comments on the Milford school district?

I do need to look into KY as well.
Just in the interest of saving you some time, be aware that housing prices in Terrace Park are very high for what you get house-wise. I put that qualifier on it because obviously enough people feel they're getting other amenities that justify the prices to keep them stratospheric.

Old 03-06-2011, 03:53 PM

Interesting!

Of course, this is all based on some looking, only online, only based on what's on the market right now. That obviously can change in a week/month's time.

Newton was another one with good looking houses! I think I liked Terrace Park for its location. I think it was closer in than some of the others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or