U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2011, 06:44 PM

34 posts, read 65,499 times

Advertisements

Hey y'all! OH natives here, but we've just moved back up to the Dayton area after living in the St. Pete, FL area for the last 5 years. We also lived in the Denver metro for 7 years. We're hoping not to move for quite a bit this time!! I'm hoping someone might have some suggestions on good areas for our fam... I took this from another board we were possibly considering moving to.

-Where you are working? -We work from home, and have for the last 10 years.. we can live anywhere we want, well as long as there's high speed internet!

-How much you are willing to spend on housing? -Preferably under $1200 for a 3-4 bd., approx. 1600 sq. ft. w/o a basement.. with a basement maybe around 1400 sq. ft., absolutely need a garage!

-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate? -The only commute we'll need to make will be the children's hospital for our daughters neurologist visits! As long as it's under an hour to get there, we're good!

-If you have kids: Private school or public school? -Neither, we home school.

-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight? -We're looking to leave cookie cutter homes behind!!! So away from suburbia would be GREAT! We don't mind having to drive to get places. We'd actually like to have a place somewhat in more of a country setting where we can have a garden, let our dogs run around and enjoy our astronomy hobby! Probably asking a lot at first for a rental, but hoping to buy relatively soon as well!

-Community amenities important to you? -None.. really... don't need those HOA fees. If we can get to the science center, museums, natural parks and things like that, it's a bonus!

Thanks for any suggestions!!!
Andrea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 05:42 AM

2,886 posts, read 3,949,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyho View Post
Hey y'all! OH natives here, but we've just moved back up to the Dayton area after living in the St. Pete, FL area for the last 5 years. We also lived in the Denver metro for 7 years. We're hoping not to move for quite a bit this time!! I'm hoping someone might have some suggestions on good areas for our fam... I took this from another board we were possibly considering moving to.

-Where you are working? -We work from home, and have for the last 10 years.. we can live anywhere we want, well as long as there's high speed internet!

-How much you are willing to spend on housing? -Preferably under $1200 for a 3-4 bd., approx. 1600 sq. ft. w/o a basement.. with a basement maybe around 1400 sq. ft., absolutely need a garage!

-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate? -The only commute we'll need to make will be the children's hospital for our daughters neurologist visits! As long as it's under an hour to get there, we're good!

-If you have kids: Private school or public school? -Neither, we home school.

-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight? -We're looking to leave cookie cutter homes behind!!! So away from suburbia would be GREAT! We don't mind having to drive to get places. We'd actually like to have a place somewhat in more of a country setting where we can have a garden, let our dogs run around and enjoy our astronomy hobby! Probably asking a lot at first for a rental, but hoping to buy relatively soon as well!

-Community amenities important to you? -None.. really... don't need those HOA fees. If we can get to the science center, museums, natural parks and things like that, it's a bonus!

Thanks for any suggestions!!!
Andrea
Have a look at the Ross, Ohio area.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:54 AM

74 posts, read 166,523 times
Andrea, Hi, We are in a similar boat! Moving from NY, both work from home as well so we can go anywhere, but we also want to be an hour or under from the children's hospital for our daughters ongoing visits as well.

We are going to rent for 6 months (Anderson Twp.) while we look at houses. Mostly looking in the new Richmond, Monroe Twp. area, also amelia, Batavia ad even up towards Stonelick and Goshen.

We too are done with cookie cutter suburbia and want a unique home out in the country, garden, we plan to get a dog and my husband also wants a clearing for his telescopes!!

I think we are in the same range as well; under 200K can get us what we are looking for.

Sounds like we have a lot in common!!!

Old 03-14-2011, 12:19 PM

3,335 posts, read 5,725,886 times
i am an OH native and relocated from colorado. it has been a great move overall. abr7rmj's comments i suspect are largely related to the problems we're having with our governor, who is sort of the twin of wisonsin governor scott walker.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:28 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,358,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
i am an OH native and relocated from colorado. it has been a great move overall. abr7rmj's comments i suspect are largely related to the problems we're having with our governor, who is sort of the twin of wisonsin governor scott walker.
Your definition of problem comes under scrutiny. I believe in the next couple of weeks we will see state bills enacted in Ohio and several other states which are mirror images of Wisconsin's. In case you people haven't noticed this is exactly what was voted in last fall. Cut the deficit, cut the expenses! Do you have another idea how they will do this other than what they are doing?

Old 03-14-2011, 04:11 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,124,416 times
If you're looking to live out in the countryside, Batavia and Amelia would serve you well. There are also quite a few areas across the river in Kentucky that are rural, with beautiful countryside.

However, you may wish to consider looking at some of the great neighborhoods in the city as well. Everyone's got their own preferences, of course, but there is a ton of regional culture within the city limits. Cincinnati also has a ton of great parks (including a few dog parks - Cincinnati Dog Parks), a public observatory in Mt Lookout (http://www.cincinnatiobservatory.org), and even a few community gardens (ex.The Village Green Foundation --- Northside --- Cincinnati, OH) for the hobbiest to rent space in. Just so you know, I tell everyone to consider living closer to downtown - Cincinnati is a great city to be a part of.

If you're going to live an 45 mins from downtown, you may as well live four hours from downtown, because you'll hardly ever make the trip. At least that's been my experience. Most of the people who I talk to that don't like Cincinnati hardly ever actually see the city.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:16 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,358,349 times
I frankly don't believe that whether you live in the City or not has anything to do with whether you like the City. The City is the hub of the entire area so it is imperative we all desire to see it succeed.

I happen to be a old codger and live in a further north suburb. I have very few if any reasons to go into the City. But I will still sell it to younger families as to all the cultural benefits it offers. I just don't care to live there.

If I worked from home, was not concerned about a daily commute, desired a non cookie cutter type of house, and was looking for a tranquil existence, I would certainly be looking to Clermont Co. such as Amelia, Batavia, Goshen, Stonelick Lake area.

Then I would be looking toward Clinton Co. and Wilmington. This is a great buy right now because the major employer left town. On one hand it is a disaster and on the other a great opportunity.

Even cities like Wilmington are not that far from downtown Cincinnati. Not on a daily basis, but when you want to partake of the cultural attractions - the zoo, playhouse in the park, Cincinnati Symphony, etc. And I do believe you could get to Cincinnati Childrens in about an hour or under.

As was previously mentioned, the west side such as Ross may also offer what you are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati