U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-15-2011, 08:47 AM

2,319 posts, read 2,094,240 times

Advertisements

I was facing my two weeks of jury duty with a certain amount of dread, and want to report that I was pleasantly surprised. The staff is courteous and efficient, and the jurors' accommodations are outstanding. The contrast of carrot and stick approach with what I experienced in Fayette County, Kentucky is notable. Things may have changed in the last 10 years, but jurors there were herded around like cattle, all the while getting a message that we'd better be cooperative and compliant or the judge would come down on us hard. Here the message is "we appreciate you being here, we'll do whatever we can to make the experience as pleasant as possible, and if you have a problem we'll do all we can to work with you."

I didn't know that the "extras" provided to jurors, like an extensive selection of magazines, free coffee, kitchenette, bottled water and one-day-a-week doughnuts are provided by jurors' voluntary contributions of part of their $19 a day fee. No pressure to contribute, but a great idea nevertheless. I'll personally be putting a little bit in the collection plate.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 09:28 AM

8,705 posts, read 6,829,425 times
Our justice system needs to bend over backwards for the jurors. We are demanding they take time out of their lives to serve. In come cases, this may be a financial hardship. The jurors are the background of our system. We demand they make a fair and impartial judgement.

My only occasion to be called for jury duty here in Warren Co. was satisfying. After the preliminaries and actual call to court the defendant agreed to a plea bargain with the DA just before the actual trial, after jury selection. The judge thanked us all for our participation as he dismissed us.

The jurors are placed in a intenable position. Forget everything you have heard about this case, even though it has been drawn extensively through the media, and state you can impart an unbiased and impartial verdict. Now I find this a very difficult position. Any rational person can determine this may be an impossible position. But as citizens we are charged to make our best attempt at this unbiased review of the trial result. It is imperfect but still the best we have devised if ordinary people are to have input.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:19 PM

9,395 posts, read 11,516,888 times
[quote=kjbrill;18284852]Our justice system needs to bend over backwards for the jurors. We are demanding they take time out of their lives to serve. In come cases, this may be a financial hardship. The jurors are the background of our system. We demand they make a fair and impartial judgement.[quote]

I have done jury duty several times and the experience has run the gamut.

In Lorain Co., Ohio and in one county of Illinois, we were expected to show up on a Monday and instructed to call in each day in the week to see if we were needed. So in essence, we missed one day of work.

In St. Louis, you reported each day of the week. However, they would release you daily after every case was started. Not bad BUT the jury room was on the 8th floor in a buliding with non-functioning elevators.

The absolutely WORST was Cuyahoga Co., Ohiio (read Cleveland). You had to show up AT 8:00 am and stay until 5 PM for five full days. It is 2 pm on a Friday with no cases going on and you still had to wait in a huge room waiting for nothing to happen.

Honestly, most cases that you encounter in the court system are exceedingly boring and not the cases you hear about on the news. The last case I sat on as a juror was a bodily injury case where one car rear-ended another. The plaintiff was seeking $3,000 to cover the cost of an emergency room visit and Xrays. The defendant argued that the woman really wasn't hurt and he should not have to pay it. Deliberation took nearly three minutes but the jury decided to take 20 minutes so that we could have a short break.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:46 PM

2,319 posts, read 2,094,240 times
[quote=jlawrence01;18288421...Honestly, most cases that you encounter in the court system are exceedingly boring and not the cases you hear about on the news. The last case I sat on as a juror was a bodily injury case where one car rear-ended another. The plaintiff was seeking $3,000 to cover the cost of an emergency room visit and Xrays. The defendant argued that the woman really wasn't hurt and he should not have to pay it. Deliberation took nearly three minutes but the jury decided to take 20 minutes so that we could have a short break.[/quote]

I had the dubious distinction of being one of 15 people selected out of a pool of hundreds of jurors to serve on the grand jury--not once but TWICE. That was really pretty okay, because the first day they told us the schedule for the entire month, you could plan around it, you didn't feel you wasted a lot of time just sitting around, and the parade of cases was interesting.

But the time I served on a petit jury was nearly as boring as the case above. Some girl left her car running in a convenience store parking lot, and the defendant decided to drive off in it.

jlawrence, you sound as lucky as I am. This is the fourth time I've been called as a juror; my husband has never been called at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati