Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 10:31 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,831,089 times

Advertisements

Other Richie's are at Vine & Woolper (can't miss it when you're driving to the zoo) and on Linn St close to Music Hall in the West End. (Or is that OTR? "City West"? Whatever.) The Reading Rd location is at the corner of Yarmouth Ave in Bond Hill, just a couple of blocks north of the Norwood Lateral. If there's an actual Richie, he was one smart and enterprising fella to start a mini-chain of fast food places in areas the national chains thumb their noses at.
Go on Yelp.com and you'll see nothing but love for Richie's. It goes to show that in Cincinnati you have to go to the 'hood if you're serious about fish - and not mahimahi or "Chilean sea bass." Alabama Fish Company fans know that's right too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 05:59 AM

1,130 posts, read 2,542,768 times
The question is, do any of the churches serve anything other than the frozen fish shaped like a triangle anymore?

Old 03-25-2011, 06:46 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,797,022 times
Earlier in the thread there was mention of a church in Florence which does an extraordinary job. Unfortunately it was not explicitly identified. But last year at this time, my oldest daughter who works in Hebron heard about it from her colleagues, looked it up, called and put in her order, and drove by to pick it up at their carry-out. It was everything people touted. I hope someone will chime in here and give us the exact identification and location.

In addition to the churches, some of the fire department auxiliaries also sponsor fish fries during this season as a fund raiser. We have a decent one here in Mason.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:47 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,241 times
Saint Paul Catholic Church

Yes, carryout is the best option, I think we waited in line for about 45 minutes to eat in. And the atmosphere was frenetic, to say the least.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:54 AM

51 posts, read 161,535 times
If we are speaking of the same place in Florence, then it is St Paul's. I have also read that Mary Queen of Heaven in Erlanger is good. Both places have been voted among the best fish frys at this time of year.

Menus:
http://www.mqhparish.com/home/fishFry/fishFryMenu.pdf
http://saintpaulflorence.com/artman/uploads/St%20Paul_standard_menu_2011a.pdf (broken link) and
http://saintpaulflorence.com/artman/uploads/St%20Paul_specials_%20menu_2011a.pdf (broken link)

Apparently, St Paul also has crab bisque and crab cakes.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:36 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,831,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
i have merely heard that the nativity fish fry in p. ridge is very good. it is certainly well attended. likely i'll be there this friday.
How was it?

Old 03-27-2011, 12:46 PM

51 posts, read 161,535 times
So.... despite my very best efforts, I didn't actually get out to the fish fry in Erlanger. Had plumbing issues and the plumber didn't leave our house until 7:15 PM and the drive from Montgomery to Erlanger/Florence would make the 8:00 PM closing time tight. However, DH and I did go to Joe's Diner on Sycamore. Apparently, they just re-opened that location in the last 6 months or so. It was your usual greasy spoon diner, but they make a lot of their things from scratch. Red Velvet cake was good as were the garlic buffalo wings (homemade sauce). The fish and chips were also delicious. They claim to batter their own fish. DH enjoyed the chicken and waffles. Best part --- they serve beer and wine

Old 03-27-2011, 03:40 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Where in Cincinnati or Dayton can you get some good fried catfish - unlike the battered fish you find everywhere?
Actually, I found a great place for fried catfish on Saturday night. CJ's Southern Cooking at 1535 Xenia Ave. in Yellow Springs. Three four ounce filets fried in fresh oil with french fries, cole slaw, and grilled peppers for $8.99. In addition, the mixed greens were excellent.

CJ

Old 03-31-2011, 06:23 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,797,022 times
Decided my best fish preparation was at home. Spotted some good looking cod loins at the store yesterday, two lbs for less than $10. Cut the cod into serving size pieces and arranged in a pyrex baking dish. Sliced some tomato and layered on top along with some thinly sliced onion. Added a little salt, pepper, and some garlic powder. Covered the top with slices of lacy swiss cheese. Put in a 350 oven and baked until the cod began to flake and the cheese was melted. Ummm Good, and I did not miss the frying oil or breading at all.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:12 PM

88 posts, read 233,102 times
A great fish fry in Cincy is Hartzell United Methodist in the Blue Ash/Deer Park area. All you can eat and freshly made fish along with cole slaw, mac and cheese, rye bread and home made desserts - including sugar free, which is good for my diabetic husband and a drink. Since it is not Catholic, no alcohol - but plenty of taverns close by if needed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati