U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 09:23 PM

5 posts, read 6,764 times

Advertisements

I just moved to my new home in Green Township in the Westchase Park Subdivision off of Rybolt Rd from Atlanta... I love it here! No section 8 housing to worry about as much, no street trash constantly changing what neighborhoods are good and bad on a constant basis, and no traffic. Only things I dont like are the conditions of the roads, and the pointless East vs West crap. East vs West... Were all in the same Cincinnati, if you have arguements about who is better, its pointless and stupid. Look at Atlanta, people dont discriminate on other sides of town and it seems that the city in general actually does things to make itself nicer... Thats the other thing. Cincinnati isn't gentrifying properly and is losing city population. Atlanta on the other hand is growing like crazy in MSA and city population. Probably because we gentrify like crazy if youve been there you know... Looking forward to my days here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 09:44 PM

12,766 posts, read 12,744,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinciMover View Post
I just moved to my new home in Green Township in the Westchase Park Subdivision off of Rybolt Rd from Atlanta... I love it here! No section 8 housing to worry about as much, no street trash constantly changing what neighborhoods are good and bad on a constant basis, and no traffic. Only things I dont like are the conditions of the roads, and the pointless East vs West crap. East vs West... Were all in the same Cincinnati, if you have arguements about who is better, its pointless and stupid. Look at Atlanta, people dont discriminate on other sides of town and it seems that the city in general actually does things to make itself nicer... Thats the other thing. Cincinnati isn't gentrifying properly and is losing city population. Atlanta on the other hand is growing like crazy in MSA and city population. Probably because we gentrify like crazy if youve been there you know... Looking forward to my days here!
My only contention with your post is that, while Atlanta's MSA is growing fast, the city population growth was very small, something like 4,000 people. Most of Atlanta's growth has clearly been in the suburbs, which is what the national trend has been for this census. It's not gentrification.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:34 AM

2,886 posts, read 3,950,603 times
The East vs West thing is kind of paradoxical. I think people take it as a joke for the most part, except for the fact that there actually are some differences. Live in the area long enough and pay attention to local customs, and eventually you'll get pretty good at spotting them.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:06 AM

1,130 posts, read 2,023,021 times
Quote:
Thats the other thing. Cincinnati isn't gentrifying properly and is losing city population. Atlanta on the other hand is growing like crazy in MSA and city population. Probably because we gentrify like crazy if youve been there you know... Looking forward to my days here!
If this is a concern of yours, why then did you choose to move to Green Township?

Old 03-21-2011, 07:07 AM

10,139 posts, read 22,409,188 times
Welcome here. First, the east-west thing is really an inside joke. People who are secure with themselves on both the east and west side get the joke and continue the "rivalry." People who are insecure don't get the joke. There are probably a lot more west siders who propagate the joke than east siders. I know, all of my in laws (and there are a lot of them) are west siders secure with who they are.

As for improvement of the inner city, you may change your opinion after you have been here long enough to get perspective. Yes, Cincinnati is a little slower pace than Atlanta and a lot smaller, but we have so much more to work with in terms of inner city charm. Come down and walk the streets of OTR and look at what is going on at Washington Park and Gateway. REmember that there are only about 8000 people living downtown. That's about equal to 1/4th of Atlanta's inner city.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:32 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,360,925 times
I will admit to not being familiar with Atlanta, having only passed through it on my way to Florida (and now around it), and hoping I never have to pass through the airport again.

I decided to try and find out a little more and Googled Atlanta Rapid Transit, bringing me to the MARTA web site. What stood out to me is the main page contains information touting their bus system, new buses and routes, high speed bus transit, etc. Knowing they have a rather large rail system I expected to see expansion plans, etc. what with all the ballyhoo about rail. Just surprised me to see the attention given to bus.

Just noticed a current proposed $61 Billion federal public transportation subsidy cut in the House. If passed, this will be a major dent in MARTA, etc. How much federal subsidy does METRO get?

Last edited by kjbrill; 03-21-2011 at 07:46 AM..

Old 03-21-2011, 05:25 PM

901 posts, read 1,950,606 times
Ah yes, gentrification: Where the rich get richer at the expense of the poor.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:30 PM

5 posts, read 6,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t45209 View Post
If this is a concern of yours, why then did you choose to move to Green Township?
Becuse its quickly growing unless you never come here and i love the country feel and the area in general. Its suburban yet close to downtown and safe... Win win win.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:10 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,652,794 times
Quote:
Becuse its quickly growing unless you never come here and i love the country feel and the area in general. Its suburban yet close to downtown and safe... Win win win.
That's what Charlie Sheen said

Old 03-22-2011, 06:04 AM

1,130 posts, read 2,023,021 times
Quote:
Then why the surprise if others are making the same decision and not gentrifying the city?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or