U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2011, 07:59 PM

5,807 posts, read 10,350,802 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

A few weeks ago, I started a thread asking for suggestions on a sightseeing trip I was planning to Cincinnati. And well, I got back and had a great time!

I was there from Thursday through Saturday!

Tour of Cincinnati. Suggestions/advice?

On my way down there. I stopped in Oxford and relaxed at a coffee shop on High street, the main drag. Its a really beautiful college town. I took the little tour of the McGuffey house who published the McGuffey readers back in the 1800s. Then went for a little jog in a park on the edge of town.

As it was St. Patrics Day, there was a great Irish band playing in fountains square. It was really cool being there on St. Patricks Day. I love fountain square. It gives the city a very European touch. And of course that night I had skyline for dinner, and Graeters for desert! Even bought some cans of skyline so I could make some myself at home.

The next day, I went hiking in Mt. Airy forest. It is so cool to have woods like that so close to downtown. And ther streams in the ravines have little fossils in the rocks. After hiking for a couple hours. I had coffee at the College Hill coffee place. A real nice neighborhood place.

I spent the afternoon checking out the Gateway quarter of Over the Rhine. Went inside both the Music hall and Memorial hall. I used to play in an orchestra so I wanted to spent time there. Later on I walked all up and down the waterfront from Sawyer Point Park to the ball stadium. I ate at the Boathouse and then had a drink in the lounge at the Cincinnatian.

The next day, I checked out the Reds hall of fame and museum and had Graeters one more time in Hyde Park.

Your city is awesome. I will be back again. Hopefully to see an actual performance in music hall!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 01:09 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,655,718 times
Ahh St. Patrick's Day!

It was one of the best I've ever spent in this city. Virtually everywhere was jam-packed. In fact, it was almost impossible to get into a few downtown places (Arnold's, Bagpipes and the new Holy Grail, which when we stopped by around 5 p.m. had at least a 90-minute wait for a table).

Glad you had a good time!

Old 03-22-2011, 07:04 AM

3,335 posts, read 5,731,421 times
thanks so much for reporting back. a funny thing.. you literally did more in three days than many locals do in three years! glad you enjoyed it.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:35 PM

4,730 posts, read 10,942,054 times
Glad to hear the vice squad, and the "vice" they're after, weren't in Mt Airy Forest when you were!
You'll be back, all right; there's still a lot on the lists from the last thread you have yet to experience. If you find yourself in town again on April 17th, catch some of us live at the meetup!

Old 03-22-2011, 09:07 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,125,075 times
Great to hear that you enjoyed your trip; Cincinnati certainly has a ton of great things to do. I hope that you can make it back soon.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:35 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,371,704 times
Happy you reported back and also you had a good time. As others have said you did quite a lot, but there is still a lot more to do. Hope you make it back soon.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:35 PM

5,807 posts, read 10,350,802 times
Thanks everyone.

I definitely want to make it over there for Oktoberfest in the fall. I speak German, and know a fair amount about the culture, and Oktoberfest-Zinzinnati is one of the largest in the country.

Other than that, I definitely want to see a performance in music hall, and maybe even see a Reds game. I'm not a superhuge sports fan, but I do kind of like that stadium.

Meetups are always a good idea. For major events it can be awefully lonely being by yourself, and friends aren't always available to go on a road trip. I'm single right now, but as a guy, I always check out cool and fun things to do in other cities, with the thoughts of a weekend away with a future girlfriend.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:13 PM

329 posts, read 564,590 times
Glad you liked your visit. Its a very nice place to live too!

Old 03-23-2011, 07:55 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,655,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Thanks everyone.

I definitely want to make it over there for Oktoberfest in the fall. I speak German, and know a fair amount about the culture, and Oktoberfest-Zinzinnati is one of the largest in the country.

Other than that, I definitely want to see a performance in music hall, and maybe even see a Reds game. I'm not a superhuge sports fan, but I do kind of like that stadium.

Meetups are always a good idea. For major events it can be awefully lonely being by yourself, and friends aren't always available to go on a road trip. I'm single right now, but as a guy, I always check out cool and fun things to do in other cities, with the thoughts of a weekend away with a future girlfriend.
Better hurry. The entire building is slated for a major $92 million renovation starting next year. The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra will temporarily relocate to Taft Theater during the construction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati