Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2011, 02:22 PM

38 posts, read 141,453 times

Advertisements

I am a Colerain native (Northbrook) who currently resides in another state. I still keep in touch with family that is there; some of the things I hear about my old neighborhood are disturbing (gangs, drugs, abandoned houses, etc.). Our family moved out about 6 years ago, and my parents shortly thereafter.

I am curious as to the local perceptions of the Northbrook area (as well as the rest of Colerain) these days. Are gangs/drugs really that big of a problem now? Is the housing situation that awful. When I left, many homes along Niagara were Section 8.............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 02:35 PM

329 posts, read 696,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldgage View Post
I am a Colerain native (Northbrook) who currently resides in another state. I still keep in touch with family that is there; some of the things I hear about my old neighborhood are disturbing (gangs, drugs, abandoned houses, etc.). Our family moved out about 6 years ago, and my parents shortly thereafter.

I am curious as to the local perceptions of the Northbrook area (as well as the rest of Colerain) these days. Are gangs/drugs really that big of a problem now? Is the housing situation that awful. When I left, many homes along Niagara were Section 8.............
Nowadays, anything east of Colerain Avenue in the township is considered dangerous, alot of gangs and African Americans came in and took the area under control. Northbrook is a very bad neighborhood. I have a cousin who lives on Niagara and hes been mugged, burglarized, and car broken into 4 times. Its definitely a place to avoid and not on sight seeing list.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:32 PM

1,607 posts, read 2,822,421 times
Took the area under control? What do you mean? That's a racist thing to say.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:06 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,794,903 times
Northbrook, and several other neighborhoods east of Colerain Ave have integrated at a pretty fast pace over the past decade. I think the recent census has Northbrook's non-hispanic white population at 64%. However, I don't think this neighborhood is any more dangerous now than it has been in the past. As other threads mentioning Northbrook will indicate, based upon people who have lived there over the years, its problems date way back before African Americans were prevalent in the area. Growing up a few miles to the southeast of Northbrook, the stereotype of the area a few years ago when I was in high school was that it had more of a "white trash" problem versus a "blacks taking over" problem.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:37 PM

4,881 posts, read 13,744,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
Northbrook, and several other neighborhoods east of Colerain Ave have integrated at a pretty fast pace over the past decade. I think the recent census has Northbrook's non-hispanic white population at 64%. However, I don't think this neighborhood is any more dangerous now than it has been in the past. As other threads mentioning Northbrook will indicate, based upon people who have lived there over the years, its problems date way back before African Americans were prevalent in the area. Growing up a few miles to the southeast of Northbrook, the stereotype of the area a few years ago when I was in high school was that it had more of a "white trash" problem versus a "blacks taking over" problem.
Quite true, the snooty Wyomingites I grew up among lumped Northbrook + Groesbeck in with Hartwell when putting down "hillbilly" areas. 36% of a population doesn't say "prevalent" to me - BUT - unwritten laws kept the AA folks of Colerain Twp confined to Skyline Acres at least until the '80s. So that means quite a jump in numbers. From there it's not much of a stretch for some people to say "It was nice before 'they' took over," never mind that the neighborhood had been sliding downhill to begin with. It's one thing for a group of White kids to lean on a car belonging to none of them while talking loudly to a "cranked up" metal soundtrack - then it's "obnoxious teenagers." When some of their Black peers do the same perfectly normal adolescent thing, with the music of their choice, then it's "gang activity destroying the community."
The reality about Section 8 is that maybe 6% of the houses and apartments in Colerain Twp are rented to subsidy holders. But it only takes a few abusers of the program before the right-wing stereotypes of steak-eating Cadillac-driving welfare queens with twelve children from eleven imprisoned fathers start recirculating wildly. Painting with a broad brush causes many spots to be missed.
BTW these examples of poor parenting look pretty pale to me:
Police: Couple took kids on drug buy | Cincinnati.com | cincinnati.com
It's all about economic class, but that picture is always clouded from hysteria over "them." Until the unlikely day when post-WWII ranch houses and Cape Cods - not to mention '70s-era apartment complexes - are eagerly sought after by working- and middle-class folks as a sign of a "step up the ladder" there isn't much hope for Northbrook and vicinity to improve. No amount of finger pointing is going to change that.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:53 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,949,040 times
I'm sorry if this offends anyone, because it's only intended as relating some history of Northbrook. My parents both came from Appalachia to Cincinnati around 1950. They were schoolteachers from the mountains' professional class and they wanted to raise me in a city so I'd be exposed to more of...well, more. My mom happily took up teaching again, first in Mt. Healthy and then in Northwest. I remember her dismay when she ended up in the elementary school which served Northbrook. Hearing her say "This is exactly what I left eastern Kentucky to get away from," is etched in my memory.

Northbrook was never anything to write home about, and the cheap construction pretty much guaranteed it would be as close to an instant slum as you could find.

I do want to caution against the wild generalizations about Colerain Township which sometimes appear on this board. It's large, and particularly its western reaches contain some beautiful and still essentially rural places to live--assuming you don't mind the drive to get anywhere. The area where I grew up is largely unchanged from 40 or 50 years ago. A few more houses. That's about it.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:46 AM

329 posts, read 696,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
Took the area under control? What do you mean? That's a racist thing to say.
Not racist at all, its true though.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:22 AM

45 posts, read 94,224 times
I just moved out of Northbrook. I lived right off of Sturgeon. The crime is going up, and they are handing out section 8 vouchers like cracker jack prizes. I bought a house there ten years ago and just can't stand it anymore. Between the crime and the hordes of roaming teens, dirt bikes and go carts on the street and in yards. And the Police NOT ENFORCING THE LAW. I've had enough. I've had cars broken into, cars and bikes vandalized and have been threatened. That neighborhood is the main reason I started to carry a gun. Not my job (repo man)
It's simply insane.

Old 05-10-2017, 07:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,254 times
6 years later and it's not bad I like the gocarts it's good clean family fun when you don't have the property and you can feel half way safe on the road's that's a good time and I don't see teens doing anything other then walking and there's way more kids playing and ppl exercising but I live in one of the post war ranches but I'm in one of the nicest areas of northbrook. Northbrook is better every year if you ask me. If your nice to ppl and your respectful to ppl I keep to myself wave at ppl and smile and that's what I get in return all kinds of nice ppl I'm sure there's a few ruf necks but you get that everywhere

I'm remodeling the house and it's a prefab post war house built cheep the design was based on housing are military families in the 50s and yeah if you have original plumbing 70 years old and you have drainage issues like my house did you might want to replace because a 2 inch piping probably has a half inch opening threw the build up but being pre fabled it's pretty simple engineering over the hole house and my house has great bones a Lil bit of paint and caulk drying in your windows and exterior and blow insulation into the addic and you got yourself a easy upkeep place to call home I say home is where you make it and maybe ppl will see how good these Lil houses can look when they see mine

Old 05-11-2017, 06:18 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,949,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Dean jr View Post
6 years later and it's not bad I like the gocarts it's good clean family fun when you don't have the property and you can feel half way safe on the road's that's a good time and I don't see teens doing anything other then walking and there's way more kids playing and ppl exercising but I live in one of the post war ranches but I'm in one of the nicest areas of northbrook. Northbrook is better every year if you ask me. If your nice to ppl and your respectful to ppl I keep to myself wave at ppl and smile and that's what I get in return all kinds of nice ppl I'm sure there's a few ruf necks but you get that everywhere

I'm remodeling the house and it's a prefab post war house built cheep the design was based on housing are military families in the 50s and yeah if you have original plumbing 70 years old and you have drainage issues like my house did you might want to replace because a 2 inch piping probably has a half inch opening threw the build up but being pre fabled it's pretty simple engineering over the hole house and my house has great bones a Lil bit of paint and caulk drying in your windows and exterior and blow insulation into the addic and you got yourself a easy upkeep place to call home I say home is where you make it and maybe ppl will see how good these Lil houses can look when they see mine
Thanks for checking in. Glad it's working out for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati