Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 02:56 PM

310 posts, read 1,740,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LylaL View Post
I attended Swifton Primary from 61-63. My teachers were Mrs Trainer and Mrs Backs. How's that for a 53 year old? Can someone remind me what the lady principal's name was?
It was Miss [Mrs.?] Tucker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LylaL View Post
I lived on Catalina Avenue in Bond Hill
Did you sneak over to watch movies at the Twin from a backyard on Lawn Avenue?
We lived on the south side of Catalina, and were good friends with our
neighbors to the south, on Lawn. They had teenaged kids who knew where
to catch good views of the Twin's screens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 03:00 PM

310 posts, read 1,740,253 times
Default B.H. library

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkgibb1 View Post
Does anyone else remember the two display case windows on either side of the door that could be seen from the street?
I don't recall the windows, but do recall that there was a portrait of
George Washington above the main desk at the entrance. I also remember
the "book smell" that greeted customers on entry.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:15 PM

11 posts, read 31,708 times
Bond Hill Branch library was an air conditioned haven in the summer. My dog would follow along behind my bicycle and wait outside the library on the steps for me. The librarians eventually allowed me to bring him inside out of the heat (or maybe because he was scaring away customers).

I also remember making the transition from juvenile fiction to adult literature. My first "adult" book (i.e., without pictures) was an Agatha Christie. I'd tote 20 plus books a week home in my bike basket throughout the summer; I knew my library card number as well as my phone number.

Over 5 years of borrowing, not one book was ever lost or overdue. I take a bow.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:20 PM

4,882 posts, read 13,747,341 times
[quote=jkgibb1;7787937]Several months ago, there was a "For Sale" sign in front of the Bond Hill library. I know it has been closed for some time and there is a new branch closer to Swifton perhaps...it has a different name, too.
[\quote]
The Bond Hill and Roselawn branches were consolidated, and are in spacious new quarters on Langdon Farm Rd. It's said that this location is the most used satellite library. Evidently part of the former Swifton (now "Jordan Crossing") shopping center property was used for the building.

Old 03-14-2009, 03:49 PM

3 posts, read 10,294 times
I remember the library, my older sister would walk me there, I also remember the tiny Beatrix Potter books, they were a sage green color. Don't remember much else, but do recall it being dark and liking the smell of books.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:50 AM

76 posts, read 315,305 times
The weather was so beautiful yesterday that after I finished my volunteer work near downtown Cincinnati, I decided to drive up Reading Road and go through Bond Hill. Has anyone out there seen the NEW Bond Hill School? UGLY!!!! I can't believe that CPS replaced that beautiful, majestic building with this drab, box-like structure which looks like a hospital or a college dorm. It is a depressing-looking building on the outside and probably the inside is no better--I am sure there are no Rookwood fountains, wood parquet floors, tiles on the walls, marble in the bathroom, black and white tile bathroom floors, the beautiful front entrance, etc. What a shame that they could not salvage the old building and bring it up to code. Seeing this new monstrosity ruined the very beautiful day.

As I looked at the tiny windows throughout the new building, I had a fleeting memory of those huge classroom windows in the old building being open on an early June day...the catalpa trees outside would be in bloom and thoughts of summer vacation were on my mind. Yeah, the new building might have AC, but give me a warm summer breeze flapping the shades and a view of California Avenue any day.

Old 04-18-2009, 02:56 PM

1 posts, read 2,335 times
Default Carter's

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbiecb1 View Post
Hi, I just read your posting about Bond Hill and Norwood. I read what you wrote about Carter's store on Worth Ave. I am their daughter and I guess I went to school with you. It was amazing to read this.
Debbie
Wow, I cannot believe your mother is still alive! My BFF and I would go to Carter's almost every day. I lived on Avonlea. I saw your mother several years ago at a program about the Holocaust. I believe it was at UC.

I remember there was a grocery store down the street. I think, A&P.

JG

Old 06-02-2009, 09:46 PM

4 posts, read 12,152 times
I just stumbled on this. Most of the posts look older and I am not quite sure what to do here. Anyway, I remember Denick. She grabbed students and pushed them around. There was a school bully - I forget his name - but he beat me up a couple times. Denick publicly pummled him. No one said anything about the puppet shows. They had one every year and it was absolutely my favorite event of school. I also remember the Thanksgiving assemblies we had. We had to be absolutely quiet as (I think) we deposited cans of spaghetti and meatballs at the front of the gym/auditorium. I remember Mr. Lanwehr. I forgot to bring my shorts and he mad me take gym in my underwear (coed as I recall). In 5th grade I had a male teacher. He use to make jokes implying that I and some girl were friends. It was very strange since there was nothing either of us did to provoke that. He also made us have a wagon together in the westward ho thing.
I don't know if anyone will see this but it brought back memories writing it.
Charles Shafer

Old 06-11-2009, 10:38 AM

76 posts, read 315,305 times
Lois Volkman's obituary was in the June 9, 2009 edition of the Cincinnati Enquirer. Many of you might have had her for a kindergarten teacher at Bond Hill School in the fifties and early sixties--and maybe beyond that.

No age was given.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:45 PM

7 posts, read 14,624 times
I grew up on Andina as well, 1819. My family lived there from May, 1964 to May, 1990 (my parents living there alone from 1982 to 1990). Were you there in that period? (This in response to jkgibb1's post from 07/17/2008.)

There are so many memories of Bond Hill. I just sent the link for this thread to my siblings, who may be able to share many details of the neighborhood.

I have been trying to track down the Huber family, sisters Terry and Sherry. Terry and I were in Mrs. Stoffregen's 6th grade class, 1969-1970. Her family moved to a small town east of Cincinnati right after that year. Her dad worked at or owned what I believe was called Jim Hayden's Body Shop (?) on Reading Rd. right across from California Ave. I've also been trying to locate Kerry Young since that year, who was one of my two best friends and who was also in Mrs. Stoffregen's class that year. His dad, Dan Young, was an announcer for Channel 12, if I remember right, and the Young family (Kerry, his brother Sam, etc.) moved to the Dayton area when their dad died suddenly in 1970.

Mrs. Stoffregen inspired me to be a teacher, and was by far the best teacher I ever had. For years afterward I used to visit her at her home on Langdon Farm Rd. near Montgomery Rd., to share how I was progressing during my adolescent years. She always welcomed me with such warmth into her home, and listened to my stories with interest, sharing her words of wisdom with me. This lasting connection helped me through my difficult high school years at Woodward.

I recall that Mrs. Stoffregen was fond of Newbery award books. One of the books she read to us was "From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler." For years after we were in Mrs. Stoffregen's class, my good friend, Phil Charles, and I used to quote lines from many of the poems we learned by heart in her class. For instance,

Abou Ben Adhem (may his tribe increase!)
Awoke one night from a deep dream of peace,
And saw, within the moonlight in his room,
Making it rich, and like a lily in bloom,
An Angel writing in a book of gold. . .

I still have the copy of "One Hundred and One Famous Poems" that Mrs. S gave all of us on the last day of 6th grade.

Is there any way to post photos on this site? I have a nice class photo of Mrs. Stoffregen's class from 1969-70 that some might find interesting. The photo shows 31 kids, along with Mrs. Stoffregen and Mr. Guastini (the principal).

Last edited by phil.centers; 06-25-2009 at 11:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati