Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2011, 12:05 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,992,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post

Where's our representation? I wonder if our esteemed speaker even knows or cares about any of these issues besides the bridge (since Obama embarrassed him on it) and airport (since he flies commercial into it and surely notices its demise)? We elect these people to national posts, from which they spread their wings and become party leaders, but they forget about or lose interest in helping out back home.
Need I add that Kasich and his innermost sanctum of political cronies reside in Columbus? Pork-barrel feasting for everyone there; table scraps for everyone else. (same as it ever was)

Old 12-06-2011, 12:15 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,696,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
Need I add that Kasich and his innermost sanctum of political cronies reside in Columbus? Pork-barrel feasting for everyone there; table scraps for everyone else. (same as it ever was)
So what is your point? the state elected him and Columbus does not have the clout to do that by themselves. I thought the former governor had done a good job, but he lost out in a political backlash situation. So the voters are now getting what they voted for.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
So what is your point? the state elected him and Columbus does not have the clout to do that by themselves...
My point's pretty simple--and also one that I've expressed over and over, both on CityData and UrbanOhio. And that is that life in Ohio can be really unfair to two of its big "3-C" cities politically. And most of us know that, kybrill, so don't act too surprised when one of us continues to cry "foul play." Need evidence? It's all there above in abr7rmj's #129 post! Exactly what DOES Cincinnati have to do to get more than political table scraps from Columbus? Secede from Ohio and become a part of Kentucky? Secede from all of its neighbors and become its own city-state? Just how MANY times, kybrill, do we in Cincinnati have to get shafted by Columbus before we "cop an attitude"?

A case in point: the looming Sears decision (assuming the company relocates to Ohio). How easily forgotten is that the very first publicly-acknowledged discussion of Sears & Ohio was in Cincinnati between Governor Kasich and John F. Barrett, the powerful chieftain of Western & Southern Life (no small players in either downtown Cincy real estate or politics). Check out the Business Courier, 4-29-11 or 5-10-11, for capsule summaries of those discussions. Then the Anna Louise Inn debacle exploded and sullied W & S Life and John F. Barrett both. The local press kept insinuating that W &S Life wanted the inn for business condominiums, but I suspect that Barrett secretly wanted that space for another large office tower--now just GUESS what he might have had in mind! But, then again, he was also talking to Kasich...

Fast forward to now: here is our Queen City, easily the state's Mecca of Marketing. Jesus, folks! Do I need remind any of you that Cincinnati is home to Procter & Gamble--the world's largest consumer products company? Home to Kroger--the nation's largest grocery company? Home to Macy's--one of the country's most renowned department store companies? (Oh-hh--and the city DOES come equipped with the retailing infrastructure to handle any newcomer, an educated workforce, an airport and a lot of jet engines, and all the suburbs that a giant retailer might look for) And just where has this tremendous merit, this pronounced advantage gotten Cincinnati? Well, in this case, nowhere near the $400 MILLION FEEDING TROUGH to matter. So, kybrill, back to my point just once more... Life in Ohio can be terribly unfair.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:07 AM

1,607 posts, read 2,822,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
- we lose a Fortune 500 company after failing to offer competitive incentives
Which F500 company are you talking about ? NCR?

Old 12-07-2011, 01:45 AM

368 posts, read 635,890 times
an airport farther away from downtown cincinnati would be a business killer for cincinnati,when i lived in cincy most ppl i knew complained how far the airport was ,it was a hassle to cross the bridge ..it was like 45 minutes from northern cincy with traffic..and why would dayton residents want to drive farther..if you added daytonsflights to cincys now..it wouldnt add alot..not enough to justify,alot of duplicate flights would be eliminated so there would be small net gain

Old 12-07-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet_kinkaid View Post
an airport farther away from downtown cincinnati would be a business killer for cincinnati,when i lived in cincy most ppl i knew complained how far the airport was ,it was a hassle to cross the bridge ..it was like 45 minutes from northern cincy with traffic..and why would dayton residents want to drive farther..if you added daytonsflights to cincys now..it wouldnt add alot..not enough to justify,alot of duplicate flights would be eliminated so there would be small net gain
chet_kinkaid, your observations about CVG are right on the money. Since Delta abandoned Cincinnati for Detroit, this city's running scared. At one time CVG was every bit as big and successful as that of Charlotte's hub, but that was yesterday--and yesterday's gone...

Old 12-07-2011, 10:38 AM

901 posts, read 2,377,115 times
Quote:

Then the Anna Louise Inn debacle exploded and sullied W & S Life and John F. Barrett both. The local press kept insinuating that W &S Life wanted the inn for business condominiums, but I suspect that Barrett secretly wanted that space for another large office tower--now just GUESS what he might have had in mind! But, then again, he was also talking to Kasich...
I highly doubt another large office tower could be built on the site of the Anna Louise Inn. It sits too close to the I-71 tunnel, and in fact a part of the property extends over it. The foundation for a tower would have to go too far down and I suspect that would pose an engineering dilemma for them, being so close to the tunnel and all....wouldn't it?

Old 12-07-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insightofitall View Post
I highly doubt another large office tower could be built on the site of the Anna Louise Inn. It sits too close to the I-71 tunnel, and in fact a part of the property extends over it. The foundation for a tower would have to go too far down and I suspect that would pose an engineering dilemma for them, being so close to the tunnel and all....wouldn't it?
Perhaps you're right, but W & S desperately wanted to acquire that property for something--and I don't believe they wanted to merely renovate the inn for a "businessman's retreat house," i.e., expensive condominiums. A lot more than dirt and concrete underlie what's happening there, but nobody we know knows for sure.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:40 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,696,285 times
motorman... Why are you acting like I don't know we are being shafted? It is the old don't shoot the messenger. I simply pointed out Columbus alone does not have the votes to elect a governor. And I will guarantee you several of the counties around Cincinnati, which are overwhelming Republican, had a large hand in electing Kasich. As I said, you get what you vote for.

One of the first things he does is deny the state contribution to the Cincinnati subway project, which threw the whole project into disarray. Some of you may deny it, but it was thrown into disarray. Without the state money, the entire project becomes less viable, particularly as an actual transportation system. Now everyone is waiting to see of the Feds will grant Cincinnati the money to actually build a transporation system rather than a tourist curiosity.

I will go on public record saying I did not vote for Kasich, but his opponent. But I knew at the time I registered my vote it was to no avail. The political backlash had already prevailed.

Of course this is far off topic relative to a joint regional airport between Cincinnati and Dayton. But I enjoy arguing politics, particularly since so many do no seem to have a clue.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:48 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,445,916 times
Quote:
My point's pretty simple--and also one that I've expressed over and over, both on CityData and UrbanOhio. And that is that life in Ohio can be really unfair to two of its big "3-C" cities politically. And most of us know that, kybrill, so don't act too surprised when one of us continues to cry "foul play." Need evidence? It's all there above in abr7rmj's #129 post! Exactly what DOES Cincinnati have to do to get more than political table scraps from Columbus? Secede from Ohio and become a part of Kentucky? Secede from all of its neighbors and become its own city-state? Just how MANY times, kybrill, do we in Cincinnati have to get shafted by Columbus before we "cop an attitude"?

A case in point: the looming Sears decision (assuming the company relocates to Ohio). How easily forgotten is that the very first publicly-acknowledged discussion of Sears & Ohio was in Cincinnati between Governor Kasich and John F. Barrett, the powerful chieftain of Western & Southern Life (no small players in either downtown Cincy real estate or politics). Check out the Business Courier, 4-29-11 or 5-10-11, for capsule summaries of those discussions. Then the Anna Louise Inn debacle exploded and sullied W & S Life and John F. Barrett both. The local press kept insinuating that W &S Life wanted the inn for business condominiums, but I suspect that Barrett secretly wanted that space for another large office tower--now just GUESS what he might have had in mind! But, then again, he was also talking to Kasich...

Fast forward to now: here is our Queen City, easily the state's Mecca of Marketing. Jesus, folks! Do I need remind any of you that Cincinnati is home to Procter & Gamble--the world's largest consumer products company? Home to Kroger--the nation's largest grocery company? Home to Macy's--one of the country's most renowned department store companies? (Oh-hh--and the city DOES come equipped with the retailing infrastructure to handle any newcomer, an educated workforce, an airport and a lot of jet engines, and all the suburbs that a giant retailer might look for) And just where has this tremendous merit, this pronounced advantage gotten Cincinnati? Well, in this case, nowhere near the $400 MILLION FEEDING TROUGH to matter. So, kybrill, back to my point just once more... Life in Ohio can be terribly unfair.
The inattention and favoritism from Columbus is aggravating, to say the least. I also remember the initial Sears to Cincinnati stories. Then all of a sudden Ohio offers Sears $400 million to move to Columbus, just days after offering Chiquita barely $6 million to stay in Cincinnati?

Something doesn't smell right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati