U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 07:37 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,087,109 times

Advertisements

The money in virtually every major American metro resides in the suburbs, because you really can't build million-dollar mansions on endless acres surrounded by woods and golf courses inside city limits. That doesn't give those suburbs any real pull over their parent city.

Indian Hill is where the real money in this metro sleeps at night. If you think that makes IH anything more than a well-to-do burb with good schools then you're mistaken. Those people identify with Cincinnati, not their dinky bedroom community.

And since this has nothing whatsoever to do with CVG, DAY or a shared airport between, I don't really want to comment further on it. We've done this suburban vs. city battle royale too many times for it to be interesting anymore.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:52 PM

8,705 posts, read 6,838,365 times
Glad to know you consider Indian Hill a dinky bedroom community. I believe a few people there would disagree with that. I know it has nothing to do with a shared CIN-DAY airport, but it does relate to how unrealistic some people are relative to what drives the area as a whole.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:01 PM

421 posts, read 273,898 times
>You see, this whole argument is rediculous, since until Cincinnati can rebuild its population to something close to the 1950s, the fact is the decision makers and the money reside in the suburbs.

So by your measure third world cities where millions of peasants have moved from the countryside since 1950 to live in shacks are out-gunning Cincinnati.

Again, for the millionth time (yes I have made this point to you several times and you choose to ignore it, just as you ignored my lunchtime smackdown today) many former residential areas in Cincinnati are now COMMERCIAL. Cincinnati has about 1/3 fewer residents than 1950, but it has MORE JOBS -- at least DOUBLE. It has A HUGE DIVERSE TAX BASE. As I have mentioned many times, the city's 6 mill property tax is LOWER than most area municipalities, because the city gathers the majority of its income through its earnings tax, which IS NOT THE HIGHEST IN THE REGION.

Who has the highest earnings tax in the region? That's right, COVINGTON, which at 2.5% is SIGNIFICANTLY higher than Cincinnati's 2.1%.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:04 PM

854 posts, read 704,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
You are very quick to ridicule the suburbs, but exhibit about zero tolerance for anything in return.

So pursue everything on your own and with animosity and see how far you get. Like it or not, the concentration of the income to make things happen is in the suburbs.

Once again, you're jumping to conclusions about me and my life. I lived in the suburbs for over 20 years and loved it, but I live in the city now and love it more. I have not put down the suburbs once on this board. Both have their strengths, therefore I don't ridicule either one. I want both the city and suburbs to be successful and can't understand for the life of me why others on here don't feel the same way.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:05 PM

421 posts, read 273,898 times
Oh, and Cincinnati's 2.1% earnings tax includes .3% for Queen City Metro. Covington's earnings tax DOES NOT pay for TANK (TANK is funded by the NKY counties). So Covington's earnings tax is a whopping .6% higher than Cincinnati's.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinciFan View Post
Once again, you're jumping to conclusions about me and my life. I lived in the suburbs for over 20 years and loved it, but I live in the city now and love it more. I have not put down the suburbs once on this board. Both have their strengths, therefore I don't ridicule either one. I want both the city and suburbs to be successful and can't understand for the life of me why others on here don't feel the same way.
Didn't mean to jump on your life. But some here seem to feel the suburbs are the cause of everything evil. As long as they feel and come across that way I will be in opposition.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
>You see, this whole argument is rediculous, since until Cincinnati can rebuild its population to something close to the 1950s, the fact is the decision makers and the money reside in the suburbs.

So by your measure third world cities where millions of peasants have moved from the countryside since 1950 to live in shacks are out-gunning Cincinnati.

Again, for the millionth time (yes I have made this point to you several times and you choose to ignore it, just as you ignored my lunchtime smackdown today) many former residential areas in Cincinnati are now COMMERCIAL. Cincinnati has about 1/3 fewer residents than 1950, but it has MORE JOBS -- at least DOUBLE. It has A HUGE DIVERSE TAX BASE. As I have mentioned many times, the city's 6 mill property tax is LOWER than most area municipalities, because the city gathers the majority of its income through its earnings tax, which IS NOT THE HIGHEST IN THE REGION.

Who has the highest earnings tax in the region? That's right, COVINGTON, which at 2.5% is SIGNIFICANTLY higher than Cincinnati's 2.1%.
Yes, I will continue to ignore your ownsided opinions. Jobs in Cincinnati are primarily service industry oriented. You can only have service industry jobs providing you have people capable of paying for services. Please explain what sections of Cincinnati which were residential are now Commercial. I can point out a whole lot of areas which were once Commercial but are now defunct. And please identify anywhere in the City where Manufacturing is making a comeback. As long as the majority of the goods we purchase are produced outside of the US, we are headed for nothing but downhill. Revive your city areas all you want, but once people cannot pay for them they will revert back. We need a substainable economy, and at the present we are headed in the opposite direction.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Didn't mean to jump on your life. But some here seem to feel the suburbs are the cause of everything evil. As long as they feel and come across that way I will be in opposition.
Like Cincifan, I, too, grew up and, as of right now, have spent the majority of my life in the suburbs. And, believe it or not, my first apartment in Cincinnati after college years ago was for one year on - gasp - Fields Ertel Road (Macaulay Crossing) then Harpers Point in Montgomery. I know the northern Cincinnati burbs very well.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Yes, I will continue to ignore your ownsided opinions. Jobs in Cincinnati are primarily service industry oriented. You can only have service industry jobs providing you have people capable of paying for services. Please explain what sections of Cincinnati which were residential are now Commercial. I can point out a whole lot of areas which were once Commercial but are now defunct. And please identify anywhere in the City where Manufacturing is making a comeback. As long as the majority of the goods we purchase are produced outside of the US, we are headed for nothing but downhill. Revive your city areas all you want, but once people cannot pay for them they will revert back. We need a substainable economy, and at the present we are headed in the opposite direction.
My god, you must be the life of the party on New Years Eve. Could you be any more of a downer?

And if Cincinnati is service-oriented jobs, as you falsely claim, what exactly is Mason with its amusement parks, movie theaters, chain restaurants as far as the eye can see, big box retailers, gas stations, golf courses, tennis courts, etc.?

Old 04-20-2012, 01:17 AM

75 posts, read 23,209 times
Címon now guys. With so much in common, maybe take it to a bar to share a few beers somewhere between downtown and Mason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati