Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 06:34 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,838,037 times

Advertisements

^Country don't bring in jobs. lol

Old 04-01-2011, 07:12 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,795,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
I hope I have finally caught on to your identification of country. Am I right you are referring the the area along I-75 between Cincinnati North and Dayton, from about the Hamilton interchange, past Monroe and Middletown, up to Centerville, etc? If I am wrong please enlighten me, as I do want to know the area you are referencing.

Hamilton and Middletown will hopefully see rejuvenation within their boundaries. Some positive things are happening in both cities. Other areas like Monroe seem to be bent on fly-by-night outfits like the outlet mall. If you don't agree just lookup outlet malls nationally and see how many have failed.

The area between Cincinnati and Dayton will fill in soon enough. It is not happening immediately and with the current economy will be decelerated. But to think it will be another Dallas/Fort Worth is fantasy. Frankly since the last time I visited Dallas/Fort Worth I hope I never have to go back.

We in the Cincinnati/Dayton area should be thankful for what we have, and fight like Hell to retain it. We don't need a shared airport, just dedicated people to retain what we already have. Cooperation between the two cities is a must, and must be oriented to mutual benefit.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:00 PM

I was referring too what Ohiogirl81 said about what's the problem with country(rural).
Greater Cincinnati and Dayton will need each other to compete with other area's of the country competing for federal $$$.

From 2000-2010 Cincinnati was passed by 4 metro area's in population. Portland, Sacramento, Orlando and San Antonio. Even though the land area's those metro take up are smaller than Cincinnati they will still get more federal dollars than the Cincinnati metro alone.

For region it means less money to build a regional light rail and or commuter rail system. Columbus is not helping one bit with the banning of federal dollars to help build the streetcar system. They will haev to look to the Federal government for more money.

The area should also look at Denver and see how they financed their newer airport.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:28 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
And plowing over every available inch of land doesn't put food on the table.

LOL

Old 04-01-2011, 10:11 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,468,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I feel having CVG on the south side of Cincinnati and DAY on the north side of Dayton is a good compromise.

Even though I live in Mason, I preferred going through CVG, even though I often took flights through DAY because they were cheaper. I preferred CVG because I would much rather travel I-71/I-75 to CVG than I-75 through downtown Dayton. People complain about I-75 through Cincinnati, but to me it is a cakewalk compared to the monstrosity of I-75 through Dayton.
Which is where light rail could/would/should come in

Old 04-02-2011, 02:08 PM

I would definitely be in favor of light rail extending all the way from CVG through downtown Cincinnati up the corridor through downtown Dayton and to DAY. With proper planning as to stops, parking areas along the route, it should be a boom to both cities. Unfortunately it also requires vision and cooperation, which seem to be sorely lacking anywhere in our governmental bodies today.

The streetcar to patch up a small section of Cincinnati pales in comparison to what a true regional rail system could do for the entire area. But that is where the rub comes in. Cincinnati can try and control a project totally within its boundaries, using other people's money of course. But when it comes to a regional system everyone involved has to acknowledge what is for the common good. That is unlikely to happen since those other people do not have votes over me.

Old 04-02-2011, 03:40 PM

Using other peoples money? Do you honestly think Cincinnati sends no money to the suburbs to maintain their highways?

Old 04-02-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
do you honestly think cincinnati sends no money to the suburbs to maintain their highways?
yes.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:49 PM

526 posts, read 1,481,955 times
Exclamation Yes

I am totally in favor of such a proposal. Since Delta killed CVG it is becoming less of a viable choice for so many residence of this region.
CVG is convenient but too expensive; DAY is affordable but not very convenient (to Cincinnati & immediate suburbs).

Establish an airport convenient to Cincinnati, Dayton and all the communities close by and I would foresee air travel becoming both convenient and affordable again.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:16 AM

Puting an airport between Cincy and Dayton solves nothing. How are you going to get there - I75? This is already a mess and one of the unsafest stretches of highway in the country.

In addition to a huge initial cost, financed by what?, you place most of Cincinnati itself, all of NKY, and the northern area of Dayton in a less desirable position. These cities have little incentive to participate. CVG in particular is not going to just shutdown in deference to Ohio. So what do you end up with - three smaller airports all juggling for airspace and traffic?

CVG has lost traffic simply due to the fact the concept of a hub airport has lost favor. The idea of collecting people like cattle to a central source for distribution has been seen for what it is - herding. That is why Delta is selling off Comair's assets and the other regionals it owns. Their day in the sun has come and gone.

Once CVG downsizes to the level supported by the volume of local air traffic, things will settle out. Yes flights to everywhere will become less common. Delta will be unable to charge a premium for flights to/from CVG as there will not be other pass-through traffic to make a profit on. Other airlines will be able to consider adding CVG to their route base as they will not be strangled by Delta.

People need to take interest in what makes an airport run. CVG is controlled by the Kenton County Airport Board. The board is said to be comprised of all-volunteer members. Now what do you think it takes to get a seat on this volunteer board? I have been unable to get a handle on the application, screening process, or who makes the actual decision. My guess it is a good-ole-boys club arrangement. I don't mean to say there are not some very civic minded people on boards of this type, but I do mean to say it is not exactly an elected representative situation.

CVG is a large operation. I estimate it is the largest single employer in Boone County. Airports also typically encompass a large parcel of land. Do airports pay taxes to the local jurisdictions based on the value of their property? Far as I can tell NO, they are exempt, though I can't tell exactly why.

If this current fuel cost situation continues for a prolonged period, airlines will be forced to raise their fares or go broke. So if there was ever a worse time to consider a joint Cincy/Dayton airport this is it.

This should be the time when the advocates of light rail for a region such as Cincy/Dayton should be screaming for its justification. Yes, it also costs a lot of money, but the payoff and return even in such troubled times should be saleable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati