Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2011, 01:01 PM

577 posts, read 1,280,204 times

Advertisements

This is a great idea. It really simplifies the bus routes:

A frequent transit guide for Cincinnati by Nathan Wessel — Kickstarter

"This map reduces the system's current complication to a legible structure that is complex but interconnected, with an easily visible structure of primary, secondary, and tertiary routes. The map is laid out so that people who are new to riding the bus can quickly and easily see which line they need to take, how to take it, and most importantly how long they can expect to wait."

I'll be the first to admit that I have always had a problem with the way the Metro system is laid out. In fact so much that I have avoided Metro for many years but after seeing this it really cleared things up and I took Metro downtown for the Opening Day Parade!

The lay out of the map reminds me of the maps you will see in major cities and it's similar to the DC metro map. Great idea!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 01:14 PM

575 posts, read 1,370,519 times
Default there used to be one

Up until the early 1970s, Metro (I can't remember what it was called then) had complete route maps for its riders. I don't know why it discontinued printing them.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:14 PM

75 posts, read 175,887 times
I think the main problem with metro is that it can take two to three hours to get from one side of the city to the other. This isn't Chicago for f**k sake. They really need to scrap the street car and put that money into bettering countywide transit. Just a note, this is coming from someone who lives near where the streetcar would run.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomomo11 View Post
I think the main problem with metro is that it can take two to three hours to get from one side of the city to the other. This isn't Chicago for f**k sake. They really need to scrap the street car and put that money into bettering countywide transit. Just a note, this is coming from someone who lives near where the streetcar would run.
They tried to start a countywide transportation system in 2002 and it was rejected by voters. Now, the city is starting on a smaller scale with the streetcar and build up from there but that doesn't seem to be good enough either. Spend all of the money on the freeways and complain about that as well. It seems like nothing is ever good enough is it? Anymore it seems like no one in Cincinnati is happy unless they have something to complain about.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:57 PM

75 posts, read 175,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deg1114 View Post
They tried to start a countywide transportation system in 2002 and it was rejected by voters. Now, the city is starting on a smaller scale with the streetcar and build up from there but that doesn't seem to be good enough either. Spend all of the money on the freeways and complain about that as well. It seems like nothing is ever good enough is it? Anymore it seems like no one in Cincinnati is happy unless they have something to complain about.
I am saying upgrading metro. Worry about rail when the suburbanites finally have to start shelling out 6 and 7 dollars per gallon. Upgrade the bus transit so that those of us who actually use it can get from Clifton to say Kenwood in a reasonable amount of time. Rather than the 2 hours it currently takes.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:09 PM

Then the time to worry about rail systems is right now. Depending on how much area is covered with a mass transit system it could take 1, 2, or even 3 decades to complete. Just think, in March of 2000, gas was averaging about $1.52 a gallon. What is it now?

As far as expanding express service for buses, Kasich cut funding for that as well as for the 3C corridor and the streetcar.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:34 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,791,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deg1114 View Post
The lay out of the map reminds me of the maps you will see in major cities and it's similar to the DC metro map. Great idea!
It may be a great idea. But why are such ideas seemingly always outside of the existing structure? I would think Metro would welcome such an idea. But is it a fact they will not, being locked into their current business structure?

In my opinion (you can commensurate with the public flogging now), we have far too many public advocates offering ideas on how to solve all of our problems. The only reason they are a public advocate is so they don't have to get a real job.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:25 PM

I for one am glad there are people like this who care enough about a cause to take the time to do the research and improve. I just hope once the original print of the maps are over that Metro has the sense to carry it on. As far as jobs or no jobs, students definitely seem to be the ones taking up things like this but I also know people who have full time jobs and do things like this. I for one don't have the energy after work to do things like this but if one day I win the lottery, supporting local causes would be something I would do.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:09 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,264,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomomo11 View Post

They have made so many of the routes so long that you don't want to take them.

The 24 route goes through Clifton to get to Anderson.

In the old days, it went Gilbert to McMillan to Madison to Mt Lookout, a much more direct route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: