U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 09:12 AM

8,337 posts, read 5,729,437 times
Jen35... Just some comments on your post. Most of it I agree with, except for Madeira. Admitedly I am biased since I grew up there. The small district size is a plus as the kids do not face as much competition for what they want to do. I graduated from there in 1957 and my class size was 57, same as the year. When I got to UC I found that the curriculum at Madeira had actually prepared me better than many from much larger schools. Back then we did not have AP courses, etc. but the basic college prep as it was called curriculum was much stronger than most schools.

What dismays me about Madeira is that its close in location to jobs in the City coupled with the quality of the schools has sent property values out of sight, especially along the Kenwood Rd corridor. It is becoming almost as bad as Mariemont and Terrace Park when it comes to inflated property values and very high taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 10:12 AM

164 posts, read 154,536 times
kjbrill - I probably didn't write it correctly. I meant that's why we didn't buy there. We wanted a bit bigger district than Madiera, and smaller than Mason or Sycamore. For us, it came down to Wyoming and Mariemont for the district size out of the 6 mentioned (Indian Hill is just not us). We wanted diversity and closer commute to Evendale, so Wyoming it was...

Old 04-11-2011, 11:32 AM

120 posts, read 134,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
The houses you reference are very nice, on large lots, and attractive. But I question a 30 minute commute to UC Medical, more like 45 or more.
Nope, I mapped it before I posted. 30 minutes or less.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:37 AM

3,096 posts, read 2,955,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandasene View Post
rush hour + colreain ave + i75 = kill me now

Old 04-11-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Well, mapping is one thing, reality on a daily basis is something else. I am not knocking your posts as I feel the basic property value is very good, and even if the commute stretches to 45 minutes average it is still a desirable consideration. The entire commute from West Colerain Twp. requires some decisions. Back to I-275, east to I-75. then south down to the UC area. Or down Colerain to Ronald Reagan, east to I-75, then south down to the UC area. The mapped times are dependent on the maximum speed limits on the roads traveled. I am just saying the reality is during rush hours the maximum speeds are not realized.

Again, even if the commute time is longer, if the OP wants a 20 year max. house on a reasonably large lot, your recommendations are very good.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:55 AM

2,283 posts, read 1,863,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
rush hour + colreain ave + i75 = kill me now
Or you can omit the I-75 part and go through Northside. And still kill me now.

Seriously, these are areas and traffic patterns I'm very familiar with. Even though I think the rural parts of Colerain Township are a nice place to live, the commute times are not something I'd wish on my worst enemy. The best I can say is that one can get from there to Clifton and effectively avoid an interstate that's shut down by an accident. They do have that going over Mason or West Chester.

And although the OP's children are very young if I recall correctly, the two secondary schools in Northwest Local would not be my first choice by any means. Better to get out onto the far west side and opt for Oak Hills. Don't know how the elementary schools in the western part of the township are faring. Maybe okay.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:56 AM

2,283 posts, read 1,863,879 times
Quote:
I'm just curious if you've driven the full length of Colerain Avenue at rush hour, and how long that part of the drive took you.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
I'm just curious if you've driven the full length of Colerain Avenue at rush hour, and how long that part of the drive took you.
I would rather take a whipping than drive the full length of Colerain Ave. at ruish hour. The only part of the City which is equivalent is Beechmont Ave. and we have all seen what that has done.

Old 04-11-2011, 01:01 PM

8,239 posts, read 10,924,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I would rather take a whipping than drive the full length of Colerain Ave. at ruish hour. The only part of the City which is equivalent is Beechmont Ave. and we have all seen what that has done.

I would rather be boiled in oil.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:40 AM

120 posts, read 134,920 times
Colerain High School is a good, diverse mix of kids at all levels. My niece graduated from there and received a full ride to MSJ. My own son is a senior there and received a good scholarship to Xavier. School is what the kids and parents make of it.

Agreed, Colerain Avenue is a pain at rush hour. Is the OP driving at rush hour times though, with going to UC Med? And there are more options that rush Colerain Avenue. If I lived above 275, I would hop on 275 to 74 east to 75 south and avoid Colerain Ave all together. But the great thing about Colerain is there are many other options besides "the avenue". And living here, you learn these pretty darn quick to avoid the backup.

Myself, I live just near Cross County Highway and have the luxury of working in Blue Ash 2 days a week at not rush hour times. I get there in about 20-25 mins depending on how many lights I hit on Reed Hartman Hwy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati