Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 08:02 AM

74 posts, read 188,970 times

Advertisements

Hi, we're moving to Clermont County this summer and need advice on the various Townships or towns.

We are looking for a location that is between 30 and 45 minutes from downtown. So far we have looked at New Richmond (and Moscow), and up in the Batavia area. Amelia looks like it might be a bit to congested. We are looking for at least 2 to 5 acres of wooded land with a 3+ bedroom house, 200-250K. I have also seen some houses up in the Stonelick Twp. area and out in the Williamsburg area that look nice. From my research it looks like all the schools in these areas are quite good.

Being in NY it is hard to pick the right area without actually living there for a while. Would anyone like to share their thoughts on these areas. We have spent some time in new Richmond, but I am curious about these other areas. Thanks very much in advance! Can't wait to get out there!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 05:34 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,543,351 times
Sorry - I don't know much about Clermont. I'm out in Warren myself. I've driven through Milford, etc... out past Mount Orab .. but never actually looked at houses around there.

About all I can say is that Milford is cute, and the whole area is very pretty in terms of mild-hills, forest, fields, etc...

Good luck in your search - I'm sure some of the real-estate people will be along to help..

Old 04-05-2011, 06:14 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,790,065 times
Used to go to Clermont Co. and further when I was young. Stonelick and Grant Lakes were favorites for our overnights in the station wagon. Dad, brother and I all slept on air mattresses in the back of the wagon. We were up at the crack of dawn to go fishing. We would venture as far as Lake White near Waverly and Rocky Fork Lake past Hillsboro. Back then Clermont and beyond were pure country. Today I just consider it Cincinnati East.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:39 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Most of the Batavia school district is as congested as Amelia, really. Without knowing exactly where you're looking, it's hard to talk about school districts in particular, since the district boundaries meander all over the place and don't stay within township borders. Generally, though, the schools in Clermont County are solid. They all have the same funding issues, probably issues with a growing student population, etc.

Stonelick Township is pretty, as is around Moscow. A friend of mine about 20 years ago bought a farm out that way, and her family absolutely loves it.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:16 AM

8 posts, read 16,580 times
Work with a realtor based in Clermont Co as properties within this time frame to downtown are available but tucked in nooks and crannies. Clermont county roots are agricultural, but the northern sections and along 275 are suburban. Pierce Township sometimes has the tracts of land available and you can get to downtown within 30 mins. In northern Union township, sometimes a 1950's ranch with 2+ will appear, but larger tracts will be expensive. Also properties in the Milford school system will be available - checked, there is a 3 bedroom log home with 2+ available now. Outskirts of Loveland, Miami Township have larger tracts. ( Land near the rivers will be hilly. )

Loveland, Milford, Bethel-Tate, and New Richmond are some of the better public school districts in Clermont. (and there are several private schools in Clermont or in Hamilton Co. very near the Clermont county line).

Be aware that some areas in Clermont county have Cincinnati addresses, (for example some homes in Union Township have Cincinnati address and are in the Milford school system).

There are a few areas in Clermont that have local income taxes.

Primary routes to downtown from Clermont are

1) 275 to 471
2) Kellog to Columbia Parkway (rt 50)
3) 32 to Beechmont levy to Columbia Parkway
4) Rt. 50 (Columbia Parkway in Cincinnati)
5) Rt 28 to 50 or
6) Rt 28 to 275 to 71
7) Wards corner to 275 to 71

New Richmond has a more suburban feel (lot of transplanted suburbanites here), Stonelick/Owensville has a more country feel. Both have beautiful wooded land.

Last edited by Yac; 04-11-2011 at 02:42 AM.. Reason: 3 posts in a row merged

Old 04-12-2011, 10:36 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,543,351 times
Hope the OP is still looking at this thread -- that was a really informative post I-tree-Cinci. I have only been here a couple of years myself, so always nice to learn more about my neighboring county!

Old 04-14-2011, 10:11 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,333,858 times
You mentioned that you're looking for a good tract of land. Are you looking for hilly property or flat? You should definitely be able to find what you're looking for out east of 275.

I drive east on OH-32 weekly, and things get really rural really quickly after you get past the Eastgate Mall. Although, you're not really out in the sticks until you get past Peebles... but that's clearly further from the city than you'd like to be.

I don't know if you've looked across the river in KY or not, but there are some nice bits of property over there as well.

Old 04-16-2011, 06:56 AM

Hi, thanks everyone for your thoughtful replies!

Actually our search began in NK, a year ago. there are just not many houses on the market with 2ac or more. I just looked again just to be sure, but there were only two. We ended up liking the Clermont area.

We will be in town this week and have nine properties selected to see in Stonelick, Batavia, Ohio, Monroe Townships and one in Cleves, in Hamilton.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:45 PM

8,313 posts, read 3,921,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelent View Post
Hi, we're moving to Clermont County this summer and need advice on the various Townships or towns.

We are looking for a location that is between 30 and 45 minutes from downtown. So far we have looked at New Richmond (and Moscow), and up in the Batavia area. Amelia looks like it might be a bit to congested. We are looking for at least 2 to 5 acres of wooded land with a 3+ bedroom house, 200-250K. I have also seen some houses up in the Stonelick Twp. area and out in the Williamsburg area that look nice. From my research it looks like all the schools in these areas are quite good.

Being in NY it is hard to pick the right area without actually living there for a while. Would anyone like to share their thoughts on these areas. We have spent some time in new Richmond, but I am curious about these other areas. Thanks very much in advance! Can't wait to get out there!!
Lived there for many decades so I can tell you anything you want to know.
Miami Township and Milford schools are probably the best; but Miami Township is very congested and property is expensive.

I'd avoid Goshen, the land there has very poor drainage in that portion of the county.

I think Stonelick has the nicest topography but check out your neighbors before you buy out there in the country. Remember there is little or no zoning, and if a neighbor wants to install a gun range or a pig farm or a dirt track or a mud bog run, there is nothing to stop him.

Batavia is less congested than Amelia. Route 125 is ridiculous it is so dangerous that I avoid driving on it if possible.

The areas down around Felicity and Salt Air are nice too, getting into rolling hills more like Kentucky.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:49 AM

Hi, Well we settled on a house, made an offer and are under contract!!

We chose a house on 5 wooded acres in Stonelick Twp., Batavia. It's Clermont Northeastern School District and it is right along Rte 50, near 132. It's private, wooded and beautiful! Thanks for all the advice. I look forward to being an Ohio resident this July!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati