Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 08:55 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times

Advertisements

Briolat21, you're right about the steel mill. Armco operated a coke and iron plant in Hamilton! (heh) for years, until the early 90s. There may have been other steel mills in Hamilton, but it's mostly known for textile and paper mills, many of which have faded off into history.

I dunno why Hamilton has such a bad rep. It's a typical city for its size and its background/history; it's the county seat, so at the very least the government will keep it hopping. Naturally when the mills closed, people moved away, housing became inexpensive, less affluent folks moved in, etc. etc. It happened -- and is still happening -- in cities all over the country.

West Hamilton is a lovely area. If you want to live there, don't let anyone talk you out of it! A few open-minded people moving into an area can maybe effect a little change.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:46 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,548,295 times
Ohiogirl81,

That's kind of how I felt about it. I come from a manufacturing area in Michigan (most of Southern, populated, Michigan made its original money in manufacturing) so the city doesn't seem particularly "bad" or dangerous to me. I've looked at the East area, and I don't plan to live there (we will buy in a new development on the West side) but honestly - it doesn't look that bad. I drove around in Cinci proper to Walnut Hills, and Avondale and other areas - and they appear MUCH MUCH worse than anything in all of Hamilton. Yet when I say "Hamilton" to locals that I work with they actually visibly wince and shake their heads. Its just amazing. I can't tell if its typical yuppie disdain of blue-collar areas, or if there was some horrendous crime-of-the-century there (that non-locals don't know about)... but its just weird. I realize the city isn't as "safe" necessarily as West Chester, but then again, I just don't find West Chester that appealing.

Thanks everyone for their comments (negative and positive)... its been interesting reading these forums finding out how people perceive different regions in the Dayton/Cinci metroplex.

Old 08-08-2007, 05:44 PM

5 posts, read 41,550 times
Default Hamilton is a city that has the maladies of old cities, But...

I moved to Hamilton 2 years ago and experienced the same response you are receiving. The plus is that if you like older homes Hamilton is a great buy, as far as new construction outside of Hamilton in Ross you will also get a good price on a 2000 sq foot home and a decent sized yard. Ross just built a new high school and it is a very decent school system

The city is old and with old cities you have old buidings, a population of the less fortunate and unemployment because of the decline in manufacturing.

The positive is that you have a city trying to redevelop it's infrastructure and downtown. Old building facades are being renovated and they are making and effort to develop the river front. The development along 75 and West Chester is also bringing people back to work.

It is safer than other parts of Cincinnati but it will not of course be as safe as a new developed suburban community or township as Mason or West Chester. I will say this.. that among the people that I have spoke to that live in Hamilton there is a deep sense of community and pride. These are very good people that represent what is great about small town middle america.

I live on the west side and you will find more new construction and great values and less in RE taxes than W Chester, Mason or other areas. Feel free to reply if you have any questions and if you are still looking... my wife can help she is an Agent that was raised in Hamilton and lives in Hamilton.

The reason I am in Hamilton.

Success

Old 08-10-2007, 11:07 AM

thanks so much for your other assurances!! I don't need anyone's "approval" to live in Hamilton, but just wanted to see if others shared my point of view. Glad that there are some others out there who think its a viable and nice place to live. We know that the city has some problems (where doesn't, to be honest), but for us, the pros outweigh the cons. Plus, I hope that in our own small way, we can help contribute to the resurgence of the city. I'd rather my tax dollars went to that anyway!

Old 08-11-2007, 09:02 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,533,933 times
Good for you, Briolat21! I guess I, m gettin' old but I'm disapponted that so few citizens feel a responsibility to their town, city or township where they live! It's always refreshing to hear from people that take part in their local affairs out of a genuine desire to make things better! Best of luck you and yours! Wave at any Meijer trucks yousee, it could be me!

Old 08-11-2007, 10:27 AM

1,225 posts, read 4,453,539 times
Quote:
Oh, good grief! Cincinnati has many people who have transferred into the area! You don't know what you are talking about!
Oh I think I do. There most certainly was a large immigration from the Southern Appalachians into southwest Ohio. This is well known to people who live here..
@@@@@@@@@

I think those blast furnances in Hamilton shut down in 1987 or 88, so it would be twenty years ago. That was an interesting operation as they poured the metal into thermos cars and hauled molten steel up to the main plant in Middletown. Trains hauling molten metal running between Hamilton and Middletown. Imagine that!

Old 08-14-2007, 08:44 AM

122 posts, read 958,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGVCINCY View Post
Ross just built a new high school and it is a very decent school system
It's a matter of perspective, but I disagree. Ross schools are woefully behind the nearby Lakota, Mason and even Fairfield schools. Go to a school play or graduation ceremony and you will see the difference immediately. I know all schools have drugs and teen-aged pregnancy, but in Ross it seems to be accepted as "everyone does it". Check out the high school dropout rates and the % of college bound students for Ross High school and compare to other areas. The class president a few years ago was a known pot-head (dad sold drugs) and it seemed to be OK with everyone! I, personally, would not live in Ross or Hamilton, but hey, to each his own! You can get a lot of house for the dollar, because it's not as desirable to live there. And let's not forget the old Fenald's Plant that could be still leaching toxins into the soil and water.

Old 08-18-2007, 06:28 PM

9 posts, read 45,420 times
It depends on the area you need to be in. There are a LOT of new construction in Lebanon and So. Lebanon area. It is also only 4 mins.from I-71 and 8 mins. from a hospital. There are lots of shopping areas, festivals arts, friuts, and other things to do; such as the bike trail that runs along the river; so you can bikes, ride horses, canoe, kyack and a state of the art YMCA. As far as Hamilton goes...it's just old and I guess that is the only reason I can see that i do not have my business there. I TRIED there.

Old 08-19-2007, 09:33 PM

I really appreciate everyone's thoughts. We still like the Hamilton area, and think that between Pyramid Hill, the pretty downtown, the shopping area on the West Side (near the housing development we like), and the close access to WestChester, etc (thank you Butler Regional Highway) that its a good choice. We are also thinking of Monroe (different builder). I've been to Lebanon, prices are too high for me there. 5-10 years ago I'm sure you could get bigger lots for reasonable prices, but now most of the developments I'm looking at you're paying $240 for a house on a lot that is 65 feet wide. Sorry, too close to the neighbors for me.

I would agree that Lebabon is cute, though its funny because I've heard locals really dog S. Lebanon as a very backwards area. So, there are all sorts of areas out here that the locals seem to have issues with.

Anyways, thanks again for all the comments, its been very interesting to see the local sentiment.

Old 08-20-2007, 09:04 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,533,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
(thank you Butler Regional Highway)
Watch them speed cops on the Butler, especially at night...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati