U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 06:48 AM

3,100 posts, read 179,638 times
hamilton has a nice downtown library. have also noticed that it's become quite over-run with illegals from mexico/central america lately. you may notice a quirky guy sitting on a bench (or riding a bike) on high street occasionally who covers himself in stuffed animals. strangest thing but an interesting site! the other day i saw a man digging thru trash cans but the interesting part is that his pants were so low that he was exposing his entire behind (no underwear either). hamilton really is relatively safe overall but it just seems like the city has been trying to improve itself for decades and it never comes to fruition. at the moment though things seem to be on the upswing. dont forget to check out living in fairfield twp because it is only 5 mins away from hamilton.

Old 08-31-2007, 07:41 AM

122 posts, read 639,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
you may notice a quirky guy sitting on a bench (or riding a bike) on high street occasionally who covers himself in stuffed animals. strangest thing but an interesting site!
LOL! Yes, I've seen that guy quite often! (I don't think he's "right".)

Old 09-01-2007, 01:53 AM

36 posts, read 128,149 times
"Hamiltucky" got its "bad rep" about 5+ decades ago, when THE major thing in Hamilton was the Fisher Body Plant. Fisher Body was a part of GM and made Chevrolets. Low/no income "hillbillys" from southern Kentucky moved 'up north' to get a job at Fisher Body, and "built" Hamiltucky into what it is today. We superior Ohians looked down our superior, educated, sophisticated, noses at "those people" as everybody knew 'they' were nothing but trouble making, white lightening drinking hill-billys. NO respectable person could ever associate with them, eh? WHAT? Just because we, or our parents, came from Kentucky does NOT make us one of "those people"!!!!! (Get the picture?)

Old 09-01-2007, 05:30 AM

2,434 posts, read 5,485,591 times
CincyJim...

Yes that is pretty much the picture I've been getting... Also, since I, as a Michigander, am that much more superior to all Ohioans (and goes without saying Kentuckians) I should fit in well in Cincinnati in general!!

Thanks again everyone for all your comments, advice, suggestions. There are towns in MI that were always referred to as hilly-billy when I was a child, but then when I grew up and went there - they were charming, lovely, if-a-little-rural, places to live.

I've found really nothing to justify the attitude towards Hamilton, at least not for me personally. I realize the crime rate is higher, I realize the schools are urban, but honestly - there's just nothing there that is bad enough to engender the constant looks/winces/warnings I've gotten...

So if the builder can meet our price (don't you love the current market crisis!!) - Governor's Hill may very well be our new home.

Old 09-01-2007, 09:40 AM

10 posts, read 29,950 times
Hamilton does have a couple regular "characters" that you see around downtown. There is a guy who sits on the post office steps trying to sell his candy that I always feel sorry for. I've encountered these people walking the streets, but they've never approached or bothered me. There used to be an older man who once asked me for a dollar, but I haven't seen him in a couple years.

The library is a really neat asset. It is located in the German Village and named Lane Public Library, after Clark Lane who built it. It was the first public library west of the Alleghanies. (spelling?)

Fisher Body was actually in Fairfield. Champion papers is what really drove the influx of people from Kentucky. Peter Thompson, the president and founder of Champion, was said to only want strong men from Kentucky due to his work ethic. It was known that if you came up from Kentucky, you could easily walk onto the company, which was the largest paper mill in the world for a decade or so around 1915.

Man I love this city!

Old 09-02-2007, 04:06 PM

3,100 posts, read 179,638 times
yes i think the influx of kentucky ways started WAAAAAAAAAY before fisher body auto plant. it goes way back! also, i think that hamilton was referred to as "little chicago" way back during prohibition due to all the saloons or whatever you call them (places that serve liquor). also, i think i read that back in the 30's or 40's that downtown hamilton was THE place to be seen strolling along the street (high street) on a saturday for shopping and such. i think people would dress to impress (fur coats) and that's how they spent their saturdays.

Old 09-06-2007, 10:15 PM

2 posts, read 5,758 times
Default Meager means and moral values...

In an otherwise normal statement, you embarrassed yourself. "Meager means and moral values" are not connected. You may as well connect the young Dr. King and Paris Hilton. Ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Pratt View Post
Oh, good grief! Cincinnati has many people who have transferred into the area! You don't know what you are talking about!

The two biggest reasons to avoid east Hamilton is crime and diminishing property values (unmaintained property). Just like any bad area of any town, it's so far ingrained it will never change, plus people of meager means and moral values will always be drawn to these areas, perpetuating the same life style forever. It's just life and it happens. Not every area can be wonderful.

Old 09-11-2007, 07:31 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,880,489 times
Quote:
n an otherwise normal statement, you embarrassed yourself.
She also embarresed herself by telling me I "don't know what I'm taking about" when I made a reference to the historic Appalachian migrtion to Hamilton....subsequent posters reaffirmed my observation.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:27 AM

2,434 posts, read 5,485,591 times
Well appalachian roots or not, we're very happy to consider Hamilton as a place to live. Assuming the builders we're looking at can come up with a reasonable price in this buyer's market. We just wanted to make sure there wasn't some horrible secret (secret seat of the SW Ohio branch of the KKK, chemicals leached into the soil turned the whole city into an Ohio Love Canal, crazy Hamilton-specific serial killer who's killed 80 people over the last 20 years but has never been caught) reason that "newcomers" weren't aware of.

Poverty, changing industries, and a city that is struggling hard to come back -- those are things we are more than familiar with (we're from the Detroit suburbs) and can happily handle.

Thanks again for all the info on Hamilton. Especially those of you with encouraging news about the city's future. I hope the plans for the new hotel and some new businesses come true. That would be fantastic for the city (whether we ultimately buy there or not).

Thanks again everyone!

Old 09-15-2007, 04:25 PM

3 posts, read 5,905 times
Default Janet59

I am a hamilton resident have been my whole life I I was raised on the west side of town and after I got married I have lived on botheast and west Yes it use to have a lot of industry but slowly it has deminished. This is my home and I love it here . Like all towns it has its faults it is all that you make it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati