Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2011, 01:28 PM

116 posts, read 455,713 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are moving to Cincy in June, when i will be five months pregnant. We love our OB group here (we had our first baby with them as well), and are hoping to find a good group in Cincy as well. We will be living in Evendale. I would personally love an all-women group (which is what I have right now), but if there's another better option out there, I'm open to it.

I'm looking into going to For Women in Evendale and they only deliver at Good Samaritan. We'll live a lot closer to Bethesda North but all the doctors are residents--which can be okay.

We were hoping to hear from Cincy people what they think of the two hospitals for baby delivery? (and post-delivery)

Any nightmares (or dreamy experiences) at either hospital?

Are there other options we are not thinking of (by living out of state currently and not knowing anything else...)?

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 01:54 PM

171 posts, read 354,289 times
I actually delivered one baby at Good Sam and one at Bethesda North. The first time, I used For Women in Evendale and the 2nd time I used a different practice. I was not enthralled with For Women since they make you see each of the doctors in their practice and then you have no idea who will deliver you. It's based on who is on call that day. I ended up liking the Dr that delievered my son from For Women, but didn't like some of the others. I just felt like the Drs didn't get to know you since you might not see them for months, and then they weren't up to date on what was going on with you. Just felt impersonal. I remember asking when I got to the hospital who was on call and was thrilled with who it was.

The 2nd time around, I switched to a practice out of Montgomery with just 1 Dr so I didn't have to go through the whole thing over again. I loved him! By then, I didn't care if I saw a male doctor...first time around I wanted a female.

As for hospitals, I really didn't see a big difference between the 2. I believe Good Sam has gone through a huge renovation in their maternity ward since I delievered there (2006). Bethesda North seemed pretty similar. I really was just in my room the whole time. Nurses were great at both hospitals. Nice thing with Good Sam is the have the level 3 NICU, so if something goes awfully wrong with the baby, that's where they will send him/her regardless. I didn't need a NICU, but for my first it gave me a level of comfort. Honestly, from Evendale you will be able to get to either hospital quite easily. If you like your Dr, you will be fine with either hospital. I know tons of people who delievered at Christ Hospital and raved about there as well.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:28 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,334,107 times
My wife's a nursing student at the University of Cincinnati and her professor recommended Bethesda North, although they're both great hospitals.

If you're closer to Bethesda North you may want to consider it merely because of the distance. Do you really want to take a car ride across town when you're in labor?

For more complicated stuff, Christ Hospital is one of the top 50 hospitals in the country, and the best heart hospital in the area. St Elizabeth is also ranked in the top 50 US hospitals.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/...n6239146.shtml
http://www.healthgrades.com/business...Report2011.pdf

Old 04-15-2011, 12:00 PM

Thank you! that's very helpful.
I like the idea of having a level 3 NICU in the hospital. One never knows.
It sounds from what I'm reading that everything is around 20-25 minutes drive, so no big deal.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash3780 View Post
My wife's a nursing student at the University of Cincinnati and her professor recommended Bethesda North, although they're both great hospitals.

If you're closer to Bethesda North you may want to consider it merely because of the distance. Do you really want to take a car ride across town when you're in labor?

For more complicated stuff, Christ Hospital is one of the top 50 hospitals in the country, and the best heart hospital in the area. St Elizabeth is also ranked in the top 50 US hospitals.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/...n6239146.shtml
http://www.healthgrades.com/business...Report2011.pdf
I talked to Bethesda North (where my husband will also be working--so that would be convenient), and the only two things that I'm not too sure about are:
- I need to send all my medical records to them before I can even make an appointment for a consultation (to see if we would be a good fit in the first place)
- all physicians (32 of them) are residents. I don't have anything against residents, but I like having attendings there as well...

Old 04-17-2011, 06:33 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,135,189 times
I delivered at Bethesda with my first son 18 years ago, and had the choice between Bethesda & Good Sam with my current pregnancy...i went with Bethesda again. Good hospital, closer to home, closer to family, more places for my family to run our & grab a bite to eat (and bring me something back)...

Last edited by Hartwell Girl; 04-17-2011 at 07:37 AM..

Old 05-11-2011, 08:33 AM

3 posts, read 15,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebecoise30 View Post
Thank you! that's very helpful.
I like the idea of having a level 3 NICU in the hospital. One never knows.
It sounds from what I'm reading that everything is around 20-25 minutes drive, so no big deal.
As a medical professional in Cincinnati and with a wife who works at Children's, this was a huge deal for us. The NICU at Good Sam is by far and away the best in the city outside of CCHMC. They are both staffed by the same neonatologists from Children's. One hopes to never have to need the NICU, but if you do, it can be a difference maker.

Good Sam delivers more babies than an other hospital in Ohio which means they have seen everything and are ready to deal with it. If you have an uneventful pregnancy and delivery, then delivering at any hospital in town would be a breeze. It is when the unexpected happens, which you can never plan for, that you want to be at a place that is ready for the worst.

We had a wonderful experience there and won't hesitate to deliver there again if we have more children.

My 2 cents, though I know it is a bit late...
Mike

Old 05-13-2011, 02:10 AM

1 posts, read 13,770 times
If you are still undecided, I was a NICU nurse at Good Sam and actually decided to have my baby at Bethesda North. Every postpartum room at BN is a single room, whereas at GS it is possible you might have to share it with another mom and baby, and if you want your husband to stay over (which I did) and the other woman does too, it gets real crowded real fast. Sharing bathrooms with another woman was just not what I wanted to do after I just delivered a baby. GS does have a maternity unit with single rooms, but there is no guarentee that you will get one. Their main maternity units are shared rooms. BN has a level 2 NICU and the docs and (some) of the nurses are the same as at GS, it is connected with GS as well, so if there are any complications it is a simple transfer. They also have just rennovated their NICU and it is state of the art, single rooms, very nice. I felt very confident in my choice to go to BN and had a good experience there.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_X View Post
As a medical professional in Cincinnati and with a wife who works at Children's, this was a huge deal for us. The NICU at Good Sam is by far and away the best in the city outside of CCHMC. They are both staffed by the same neonatologists from Children's. One hopes to never have to need the NICU, but if you do, it can be a difference maker.

Good Sam delivers more babies than an other hospital in Ohio which means they have seen everything and are ready to deal with it. If you have an uneventful pregnancy and delivery, then delivering at any hospital in town would be a breeze. It is when the unexpected happens, which you can never plan for, that you want to be at a place that is ready for the worst.

We had a wonderful experience there and won't hesitate to deliver there again if we have more children.

My 2 cents, though I know it is a bit late...
Mike
Thank you Mike!
Your advice is not too late, and I greatly appreciate your perspective. We will be moving to Cincy at the end of June and I will meet with a couple different groups of OB and see which one is a better fit.
Sounds like Good Sam is a great hospital!! (and I do hope we don't need to use the NICU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati