Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 02:22 PM

6 posts, read 12,521 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have lived in the Hyde Park area of Cincinnati for two years. Recently he got a job at Wright Patterson Air Force Base and we need to move before he starts in August. I still have a good job in Cincinnati and we both love this area, so we are hoping to stay in the Cincinnati area but perhaps up in the northern suburbs. What areas might be a reasonable commute to Wright-Pat? Are there any pedestrian-friendly neighborhoods with fun stuff for a younger couple to do? We know we'll definitely have to move further out to shorten his commute but are a little worried about being bored/isolated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 04:27 PM

8,312 posts, read 3,925,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allicat463 View Post
My husband and I have lived in the Hyde Park area of Cincinnati for two years. Recently he got a job at Wright Patterson Air Force Base and we need to move before he starts in August. I still have a good job in Cincinnati and we both love this area, so we are hoping to stay in the Cincinnati area but perhaps up in the northern suburbs. What areas might be a reasonable commute to Wright-Pat? Are there any pedestrian-friendly neighborhoods with fun stuff for a younger couple to do? We know we'll definitely have to move further out to shorten his commute but are a little worried about being bored/isolated.
I commuted between Milford and Dayton for a year and a half, and one thing I can assure you; I would not want to live in a location that would require me to drive on the stretch of I-75 between Cincy and Dayton. The congestion is ridiculous, the freeway not sufficient for the traffic, lots of trucks. It's very dangerous and frustrating.

So I would be looking for something east of the midpoint, like Lebanon, south of Springboro or north of Mason. (Mason itself is now officially useless due to the congestion). That way you could get on I-71 to get into Cincinnati, and your hubby can come due south out of WPAFB, and avoid I-75. Really can't advise about neighborhoods.

I'm not sure why you are saying you have to move right away? I did a commute like that for a year and a half, it's hard but not impossible. That way you can take plenty of time to make a good decision.

Old 04-18-2011, 05:50 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,795,375 times
I would have to second a recommendation for Lebanon. It is about an hour commute to WPAFB using OH-48 and I-675, avoiding I-75. You can also take OH-48 the entire distance with more city traffic near Dayton.

From Lebanon, OH-48 to I-71 is the best route to Cincinnati. It has its conjestion points, but is highly superior to I-75. Downtown Cincinnati is about a 45 minute commute.

Another option is Springboro. A OH-741 and I-675 commute to WPAFB would be about 50 minutes. OH-741 can be taken the entire distance, again with more city traffic near Dayton.

Fom Springboro, I would recommend OH-741 south through Mason to I-71 south to Cincinnati. This would average about an hour.

I also agree with trying to avoid I-75 between Cincy and Dayton. It is just a nasty stretch of road and not something I would desire to travel on a daily basis.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:58 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,532,525 times
FWIW, I-75, at times, is no fun. But the construction that will expand it to four lanes until the Montgomery Co. line will be finished in the next year or so. So I expect an improvement. While I'm in agreement with the Lebanon & Springboro recommendations, OH 48 is still two lane and rapidly reaching it's saturation point as Northern Warren Co. builds out its' open land. I-675 can get dicey, too. Snow/ice removal seems to be more of an issue than on I-75, in my experience.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:28 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
What about Waynesville? From Waynesville, your husband could take the back roads up to 675 and you could use 71. It would probably take you 45 minutes to an hour to get to wherever you need to go.

Waynesville is about as pedestrian-friendly as you can get. It's only seven or eight blocks wide, and 12 or 15 blocks long.

Quote:
From Springboro, I would recommend OH-741 south through Mason to I-71 south to Cincinnati. This would average about an hour.
I wouldn't recommend that at all. It would take forever to get to 71.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:57 AM

2,107 posts, read 5,084,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
What about Waynesville? From Waynesville, your husband could take the back roads up to 675 and you could use 71. It would probably take you 45 minutes to an hour to get to wherever you need to go.

Waynesville is about as pedestrian-friendly as you can get. It's only seven or eight blocks wide, and 12 or 15 blocks long.
I second Waynesville. I'd either take Old Stage Rd to Bellbrook Rd to Feedwire Rd to Wilington Pk to I-675. Even then, it is possible to cut through Upper Bellbrook Rd to North Fairfield Rd and take that through Beavercreek to reach the base. It would take about 45mins to an hour. Probably more in a major snow storm, but the base usually closes in most of those events.

To reach Cincinnati, I'd take US42 to OH-48 Bypass in Lebanon to reach I-71 south. That would roughly be an hour drive depending on I-71 traffic and where in Cincinnati you are going.

Lebanon is another possibility, just further south on the route than Waynesville. If you are going all the way downtown in Cincy, I'd choose Lebanon over Waynesville due to traffic being worse going south than north. Again, the only problem would be going north in a snow storm, which usually isn't a problem as the base often closes except for essential people in those situations.

Finally, avoid I-75 for now. Crew Cheif makes a good point that it will likely become much better when the construction wraps up in the near future. The commute then from Monroe north or south would become doable. The only problem with that situation is if you must commute to downtown Cincinnati, as I have heard many a times that inside I-275, I-75 becomes a bear.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:34 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
it will likely become much better when the construction wraps up in the near future.
Except that "near future" to ODOT means five years and upward ...

Old 04-18-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

I wouldn't recommend that at all. It would take forever to get to 71.
I beg your pardon. I play golf at the Heatherwoode Golf Course in Springboro on 741, and it is an easy 20 minute drive from my home in Mason right off of 741 near I-71. Much prefer that than fighting I-75.

Waynesville is a nice sleepy little town, but these young people already expressed concerned about feeling isolated. Lebanon is enough of a compromise. Springboro would be closer to other activity but the commute is not so great. Waynesville will feel like the sticks to young people.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:55 AM

171 posts, read 354,318 times
I commuted from Lebanon to Kettering (not too far from Wright Pat) for 3 years. It's not too bad. I would not recommend taking 48 up from any of the areas mentioned to get to 675. It was horrendous with traffic. You want to take back roads. I took Township Line Rd up to get to Bellbrook, and then jumped onto Wilmington Pike to get to my office. From Wilmington Pike you can get 675 as well. It took me about 45 minutes. Might be a better route to 675 for where you husband would go, but avoid 48! It's a mess through Centerville.

Lebanon is nothing like HP. You really would be going to the suburbs up there. There's a little, older town, but unfortunately minus a couple nice streets, most of the actual town is pretty run down and full of rented houses. Most of the nice houses are in the typical pool community neighborhood. Not much walkable around there expect within your own neighborhood. I always thought Centerville looked like a nice little town with cute shops, restaurants, but it may be getting too far out for you to get into Cincinnati.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:42 AM

Centerville is a very reasonable location for WPAFB but pretty well sucks for Cincinnati. To get to Cincinnati in even close to a decent time-frame you are pretty well stuck with I-75.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati