Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 01:04 PM

901 posts, read 2,387,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by t45209 View Post
Too bad those 12 people couldn't ride a train between Cincinnati and Cleveland.
Oh but you can, you can! You can take a train to Chicago, where you can pick up another train heading east and arrive in Cleveland a little over 24 hours later!

OR....if you're really adventurous, you can hop on a train from Cincinnati to Washington DC, where you would then pick up another train and head back west to Cleveland. That takes a little over 25 hours, but you would have just over a 22-hour layover in DC. So you're not looking at getting into Cleveland until roughly 47 hours after you leave Cincinnati - but personally I'd take that train because I'm sure it's more scenic that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 08:28 AM

901 posts, read 2,387,335 times
BTW...I was being sarcastic.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:12 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOD220 View Post
really Delta? $850 for an in-state flight, when Continental is $370...am i missing something here?

and are there really zero direct flights from CVG to Pittsburgh?

these are flights I have to take every week, not sure Cincy will work if I can't get a flight path figured out
I was checking last minute fares last night. I went on Orbitz last night and the cheapest RT fare ORD-CVG was $900. The cheapest RT Fare between ORD -CMH was only $365. No kidding.

AMtrak is $84 and Megabus is $90 in comparison.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:33 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,177,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonToKC View Post
I believe Delta has at least 3 daily flights between CVG and Pittsburgh.

An aside: airfares are not necessarily based on distance. They are based on several factors including:

1. Supply/demand on the particular route.
2. Level of competition that exists on the route.
3. Mix of business/leisure traffic on that route.

For the case of CVG - Cleveland, two airlines (Delta and Continental) fly that route. Delta has a (greatly diminished) hub at CVG and Continental still has a hub at CLE. The most recently released US DOT statistics reveal that only 12 passengers fly daily each way between CVG and CLE (this does NOT include connecting passengers - only local traffic). Delta has 86% of that local traffic between the two cities. That should explain a lot in terms of the ridiculous airfare you saw.
12 passengers...righhht. That's why Continental has 2 daily non-stops from CLE to CVG with planes that carry 37 passengers. Given your statistics, 12-(12*0.86) = 1.86 passengers per day or 0.93 passengers per plane per day. I find that model to be a bit flawed, doncha' think?

The fare rationale is quite simple: All business travel with no competition.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:15 AM

131 posts, read 320,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
12 passengers...righhht. That's why Continental has 2 daily non-stops from CLE to CVG with planes that carry 37 passengers. Given your statistics, 12-(12*0.86) = 1.86 passengers per day or 0.93 passengers per plane per day. I find that model to be a bit flawed, doncha' think?

The fare rationale is quite simple: All business travel with no competition.

You're logic would make sense in a simplistic world, however the airline industry (which I know a lot about) is not so simplistic.

Most of the seats offered in this market are filled with CONNECTING traffic, not local or "origin/destination" traffic (as I stated earlier). For instance, someone flying from CVG - CLE - BDL (Hartford) or CLE - CVG - MSY (New Orleans) are counted as connecting passengers and not local (CVG-CLE) passengers.

US DOT statistics showing how many passengers fly each way between most major city-pairs (each quarter) is readily available. Look the information up if you are interested.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:47 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,334,427 times
Ya know, everyone blames Delta for the high airfares, but I notice all of the airlines at the airport have higher fares than elsewhere... which makes me suspect that the fees that airlines have to pay to the airport are exorbitant.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:54 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,838,629 times
^Because Delta would just lower it's price on their(other airlines) particular routes and then raise it once they give up.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:22 AM

780 posts, read 1,577,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOD220 View Post
really Delta? $850 for an in-state flight, when Continental is $370...am i missing something here?

and are there really zero direct flights from CVG to Pittsburgh?

these are flights I have to take every week, not sure Cincy will work if I can't get a flight path figured out
First, CVG to CLE isn't an in-state flight. Sorry, couldn't let that technicality go...lol.

Secondly, have you looked at CAK as an alternative to CLE or PIT? Not sure if that'd be a viable option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati