Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 01:33 PM

12 posts, read 23,759 times

Advertisements

I'm still slightly amazed at how much difficulty I'm having finding a decent place downtown. There are a few very expensive condos that won't rent, a small handful of very expensive rentals (think $2700+ for a 2 bedroom), a steep gap down to places like 1 Lytle and The Banks (both of which seem overpriced for what they offer) and that's about it.

My needs are pretty simple:
1) Decent build quality. Sorry, 1 Lytle.
2) Hardwood floors. Sorry, Banks. Seriously, how do you build a modern "luxury" building and lay carpet everywhere? It makes everything look like a retirement home.
3) Sunny windows.

I can't find anything. Every realtor I speak with tries to push me to Laurel Park Drive, which isn't really walkable. I spent the past year in Walnut Hills and felt very, very isolated during the winter. Walking is key.

OTR has some great looking places, cheap too, but I spent 4 years in Newark, NJ. I saw enough major crime. I find it amazing that there's nothing downtown around $1500/m with hardwood floors, decent size, and a place UPS is willing to drop off packages (they refuse to in Walnut Hills and I've been told many 3rd story walkups downtown have the same issue.) Any major rental downtown is either cheap and shabby or carpeted. The condos all tend to be beautiful, and from what some have told me very much empty, but no one is willing to rent.

Any suggestions? I honestly don't know much about the area still and I'm sure I'm overlooking a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 01:37 PM

12 posts, read 30,146 times
sorry there are no luxry apartments downtown but there are luxry apartments in hyde park which is 5-10 min. from downtown sorry

Old 04-13-2011, 06:04 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,333,858 times
Have you checked Sycamore Place at St. Xavier Park or Renaissance at the Power Building? Both are very nice and in the CBD.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:13 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,466,639 times
The Renaissance at Eighth and Sycamore sounds like it could be the perfect place for you. Elegance galore (CSO maestro Paavo Jaarvi lived there), dripping with a century's worth of history, and smack-dab in the middle of the city.

I'd love to live there.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:13 AM

Sorry, turned my nose up at both those places. Carpeted floors everywhere, kind of dingy inside, all generic and cookie cutter. Neither are worth even a fraction what they charge.

There's a distinct lack of places downtown that charge around those two, a few hundred more if they have the same amenities, but aren't bland, carpeted and dull.

With downtown turning around quickly I think we'll see more of these show up. The only one is The Waldo, which sells out quickly from what I understand.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:26 AM

171 posts, read 354,191 times
Did you check out Huff Realty rentals section? I just took a quick look at what they have to offer, and I saw some that appeared to be beautiful. Not sure of your price range, but you may be able to find a condo to rent downtown that has more what you are looking for?

Downtown Rentals (http://huffrealtyrentals.com/downtown-rentals.asp - broken link)

Old 04-14-2011, 09:04 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,333,858 times
Have you checked 107 Shillito Place? I'm not sure if there would be anything available, but it sounds like what you're looking for. I used to live next door at the Lofts at Shillito Place, which was super cool, but the walls were a bit thin. The lofts had a few units with hardwood floors as well, though - and fantastic management.

You might also look into Emery Center Apartments. When I looked into living there, they didn't have anything available. Still, I think it would fall in line with what you're looking for. How cool would it be to live above the Coffee Emporium, eh?

Most apartments install carpet to help with sound deadening, but there are some hardwood floors available in the city. I'd definitely keep an eye on Craigslist for condos. The Gateway District has some really nice new condos that someone might want to rent with plenty of nearby shops to walk to.

Last edited by flash3780; 04-14-2011 at 10:33 PM..

Old 04-18-2011, 08:35 AM

Yeah, the Gateway Quarter is starting to seem like the winner. Thanks, guys.

I'm checking out 107 Shillito Place, too. It had been mentioned to me before but I confused it for the Lofts at Shillito, which is an awful living space designed by someone looking to be as cheap as possible. They brag about their amenities but the gym is worse than you find in most low-rent retirement homes and the "driving range" is a $40 net you could buy off Amazon and put anywhere you have room to swing. I don't need these things, but I'm not paying extra money each month for something so awful. Man that place was monstrously disappointing.
107, though, looks quite nice on the website.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:48 AM

10 posts, read 20,345 times
I'm moving to the Gateway Quarter. I empathize with you about the Banks and other places. They all just felt too boring and standard to be charging what they do. I'm moving into the Gateway Quarter in June.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:17 AM

Did you buy or rent?

I'm looking to move in July or August so I've got some time. Feeling some pressure, as there's next to nothing on hotpads right now, but there had been quite a bit for a while and things are sure to open more. I hope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: