U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 04:11 PM

42 posts, read 70,178 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I am relocating back to Cinci in a month and looking for some help. We lived in Hyde Park for just under a year, and then I was relocated. We loved the city so much we decided I kept looking for a job there and we are now moving back.

We are considering moving back to HP / Mount Lookout area, but are also thinking about Wyoming this time. We have two young children (4&2) so while schools are not critical now, we are thinking to the future (we will be sending our kids to public schools, and know that Wyoming has a great rep for schools).

A friend of mine has been cautioning me against Wyoming. She says that its an island surrounded by undesirable areas, and its just a matter of time before it is swallowed up. She sites Glendale as an example of where this is currently going on.

So what are your thoughts? Any insight on where Wyoming is heading? It really has some nice homes, and the community seems to have some nice amenities (pool, schools, etc), but if the place is destined to go south, then we are better off going back to HP/Mount Lookout and praying that our kids get into walnut hills.

Are taxes (income, property, etc) in Wyoming the same as the rest of Cinci?

Also, we are looking to spend around 300. Is it posssible to get a decent 3 bed 2 bath house in Wyoming for that?

Thanks for the anticipated help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 05:30 PM

2,886 posts, read 3,952,895 times
Wyoming gets discussed to death on this forum. Do a search on the word on the Cincinnati forum, and you can read for days. I'll only say that I find the suggestion ludicruous that "it's only a matter of time" before Wyoming becomes undesirable. Well, and I'll also say that it may be difficult to find a house in your price range. But if I had school age kids I'd personally live in a one-bedroom condo if I had to in order to have them in that school system. Okay....seriously, do that search.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:36 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,024,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
Wyoming gets discussed to death on this forum. Do a search on the word on the Cincinnati forum, and you can read for days. I'll only say that I find the suggestion ludicruous that "it's only a matter of time" before Wyoming becomes undesirable. Well, and I'll also say that it may be difficult to find a house in your price range. But if I had school age kids I'd personally live in a one-bedroom condo if I had to in order to have them in that school system. Okay....seriously, do that search.
I also find that hard to believe. If anything, neighboring Hartwell is on an upswing, although Lockland's star has faded a bit.

I also don't see any signs of Glendale's imminent demise, although I have seen some struggle mightily to sell houses there.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:31 PM

4,730 posts, read 10,938,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
Wyoming gets discussed to death on this forum. Do a search on the word on the Cincinnati forum, and you can read for days.
LMAO!!!!! Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa!
If you want an "island surrounded by undesirable areas," look no further than the Garden and Gaslight Districts of Roselawn - or the quintessential example, North Avondale. Wyoming has always been a step up the economic ladder from its neighboring communities. You can tell as soon as you've crossed the city line when approaching from the north, south, or east. The treeless roadscape, lined mainly with businesses, gives way to houses and some brick-box or duplex apartment buildings set back from the street amid lush greenery. As has already been brought up, Hartwell - never really a "bad" area to start with, just less affluent - is in somewhat of a renaissance. Finneytown to the west is doing just fine despite Section 8 paranoia. The places perceived as least "desirable" (predominantly working-poor and AA Woodlawn, Lincoln Heights, and western Lockland) seem to have all bottomed out and started on a rebound also.
When scoping the real estate listings recently I saw a sweeeeet lil' house in Wyoming, near the high school, on the market for $249,500. I want it for Christmas. You wouldn't find a high-end dwelling in town for much less than half a mil, but there are plenty of nice places that'd fetch $300k and under. If you want an in-depth analysis of a specific street or even house I'm a DM away.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:45 AM

Appreciate the insight regarding the stability of the town.

I know that property taxes are somewhat higher. Does anyone know if there income tax is higher than Cinci?

Specifically, two places caught my eye:
19 Central Ter (MLS 1238254)
121 Forest Ave (MLS 1237666)

Anyone have any thoughts on these locations?

Old 05-13-2011, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
LMAO!!!!! Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa!
If you want an "island surrounded by undesirable areas," look no further than the Garden and Gaslight Districts of Roselawn - or the quintessential example, North Avondale. .. If you want an in-depth analysis of a specific street or even house I'm a DM away.
Goyguy, when I said "discussed to death" I was actually thinking of ALL the people, myself included, who immediately start chanting "Wyoming, Wyoming" when someone planning to relocate asks about an upscale neighborhood with 5-star quality schools. I requoted the "island" part of your posting mostly for emphasis: the OP should know that Wyoming's land area is really too large to be considered the type of neighborhood which undesirables could or would readily penetrate.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:00 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,367,556 times
I am a firm believer in the law of supply and demand. From the number of requests posted in this forum, there appears to be a reasonable demand for housing with shorter commute times to the City. The often repeated refrain seems to be a desire for safety, feeling of neighborhood, and good schools. The good schools, in particular, start to separate the availability. Terrace Park & Mariemont, Wyoming, and Hyde Park & Mt. Lookout are on most of the short lists. Other areas rapidly increase the commute distance or suburban feel.

When you come right down to it, this is a pitifully small list of recommendations. As long as Wyoming continues to offer the excellent schools and people are willing to pay the price to live there, I see no reason why anything should change.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bopfletch View Post
Appreciate the insight regarding the stability of the town.

I know that property taxes are somewhat higher. Does anyone know if there income tax is higher than Cinci?

Specifically, two places caught my eye:
19 Central Ter (MLS 1238254)
121 Forest Ave (MLS 1237666)

Anyone have any thoughts on these locations?
Those are both pleasant, quiet streets well located within the Wyoming city limits. In fact, that specific area is one where you're likely to find a home in your price range AND it does not border on or adjoin the less affluent neighborhoods that you mentioned hearing about in your original posting. I know home prices are depressed, and that realtors puff their descriptions, but even so I was surprised at the apparent reasonableness of the prices of those two listings.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:10 AM

kjbrill - you actually identified all the areas I am thinking about. The exception being TP, which frankley I never heard about until yesterday... maybe I should look there too??

We lived in HP and really liked it, but it seems like you can get more bang for your buck in Mt Lookout (and be walking distance to the park). Mariemont has some nice houses, and I hear the schools are pretty good, its a little further commute, but not too bad.

What we really liked about HP was the community feel. When we moved to Akron, that community feel is frankly what we are missing the most. The neighbors who welcomed us to the neighborhood, people would talk to you when you saw them in their yards, etc. From the locations you listed, do they all have that open and inviting neighborly feel?

All of our family is back east, so in reality we are moving to a place where we know virtually no one. The last thing I want to do is move my family to a stuffy neighborhood where we cant make friends.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:30 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,367,556 times
Terrace Park is adjacent to Mariemont and shares the same high rated school system. Terrace Park is pure residential, more spread out on flat land near the Little Miami River, does not have the walkability feel of Mariemont, has larger average lot sizes, property values, and high taxes. The draw is definitely the schools and a safe sleepy environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati