U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 06:54 AM

3,190 posts, read 3,289,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiskkm View Post
Honestly, this is the only real concern I have about moving to Cincinnati. Parts of the city have really been neglected and are falling apart. Part of me wonders if it is the right decision to move to a place like that (when I could move to a place like Nashville where that has not happened). Many of my friends from Columbus directly question me about moving to Cincy over Columbus. But, I also really like old housing (which CBus doesn't really have), am originally from Ohio, would like to be closer to home, and want to possibly be a part of some revitalization.

I would love to get into an up and coming neighborhood - an area where things are coming back. the schools are improving, young families are investing in old homes, and retail is coming back. It sounds like that is not Avondale (at least for now), but I am hoping Pleasant Ridge or something like it fits the bill.
Columbus is a nice city, too. It is quite a bit different from Cincinnati but the people I know who live there (w/in city limits) are happy. Columbus, like Cincinnati, has its up-and-coming areas and its almost up-and-coming areas and its will-this-ever-turn-around areas. It sounds like the number one thing for you to do is get boots on the street and put together a plan to spend some time in different parts of cincinnati, columbus, dayton, and anywhere else that might interest you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 09:13 AM

2,319 posts, read 2,090,047 times
Quote:
Honestly, this is the only real concern I have about moving to Cincinnati. Parts of the city have really been neglected and are falling apart. Part of me wonders if it is the right decision to move to a place like that (when I could move to a place like Nashville where that has not happened). Many of my friends from Columbus directly question me about moving to Cincy over Columbus. But, I also really like old housing (which CBus doesn't really have), am originally from Ohio, would like to be closer to home, and want to possibly be a part of some revitalization.

I would love to get into an up and coming neighborhood - an area where things are coming back. the schools are improving, young families are investing in old homes, and retail is coming back. It sounds like that is not Avondale (at least for now), but I am hoping Pleasant Ridge or something like it fits the bill.
You got good advice to this same message from progmac. Something to consider: I don't know a lot about Columbus, but to have as ineffectual a city government as Cincinnati, (and to a lesser extent the Hamilton County government) they'd really have to outdo themselves. I see this as the biggest problem facing this area: elected officials who seem to have no sense of fiscal responsibility, or ANY sense of responsibility to the taxpayers for that matter, wasting enormous sums of money on high-visibility projects and boondoggles for personal cronies, while the existing infrastructure crumbles and the city increasingly fails to deliver basic services.

It's more complicated than that, of course, but that's as much time as I want to spend on the topic today. It depresses me. I love my home and neighborhood, but I fervently wish it were in some other governmental jurisdiction than the City of Cincinnati.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:35 AM

15 posts, read 10,056 times
Really consider North Avondale, many of the people who are scoffing and being skeptical at the idea of living there probably haven't been there in 10 years or have not ever approached the place. Yes, if you are looking for a neighborhood with many little shops and stores to go to and many great schools North Avondale isn't exactly so fit. But other neighborhoods such as Terrace Park and Indian Hill are some of the best places to live in the city statiscally and all they have to boast are gas stations and post offices. Indian Hill does have incredible large estates that cost multimillions, but Terrace Park is just filled with overated expensive homes that all look and seem the same. But anyways with north avondale, it is very close to neighborhoods that have large shopping centers like Rookwood Pavillion, or Hyde Park Square. Addressing the safety, you would very safe in North Avondale on streets like Rose Hill , Beechwood, Betula and all the other amazing streets with beautiful homes off of Clinton Springs. At 9:00 PM you can see people jogging and walking there dogs and elderly taking the stroll down streets. A out of the ordinary shooting three-five years ago sent uproar throughout the whole community. On streets like these you will see beautiful lovely old large homes which are all well kept and made sure they are on par by the North Avondale Neighborhood Association. As for the economic feel of the North Avondale it is really an eclectic mix on income. On streets like Rose Hill, Beechwood, Betula it is respectively upper middle class with many BMW's and Mercedes parked on large driveways. Jobs from cardiologists, lawyers and accountants as well to a number of different musicians such as members of the prestigious Cincinnati Symphony. These homes range from the 200 ks with average in mid 400k some of the nicer and largest ones upwards of 600k near the 900k. Look up these streets on google maps and take a gander at this beautiful place or simply drive there. On other streets such as Wess Park Ln, and parts of Clinton Springs are more middle class with homes in midd 100k and 200k these homes are not nearly as grand but are still quiet and beautiful. And as for the proximity to danger, yes, Avondale is right next to it but Madisonville is also Mariemont's neighbor and we all know how that neighborhood is. Much crime happens there all the time with a considerably large influx of low income people. Also not a little then a year a go there was a shooting and murder in Mariemont. So still consider North Avondale and what it has to offer. Oh, I left out something, North Avondale also boasts the Clinton Hills swim club an amenity usually featured in suburbs. It features tennis courts and large swimming pools.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:27 PM

406 posts, read 470,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmandmc1991 View Post
Terrace Park is just filled with overated expensive homes that all look and seem the same.
I know it sort of is a tradition on this board to slam any neighborhood that is not your own.

However this statement about TP is ridiculous! One of the most charming features of TP is that all the houses are so different. It is really an extremely pleasant place. Drive around Miami, Stanton, Marietta etc.

Not to mention there is almost zero crime. No armed robberies, no robberies, no assaults, etc etc. The most recent crime report included "removal of sick racoon".

If you combine almost zero crime, great school districts, nice houses, decent flat lot sizes, and a family environment great for kids, I think you start to understand the house prices in TP. Hard to find this in Cincinnati.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:21 AM

8,705 posts, read 6,811,639 times
fiskkm... Have you already made a decision or still debating? Since you have had multiple threads in this forum it is a little difficult to know where you stand. Another poster with a similar problem of determining where in the City to locate has just chosen Wyoming. It is understandable your attention may vary from area to area as you investigate what is available.

Somehow your questions concerning North Avondale got comments about TP mixed in. Just more examples of defensive postures by members of the forum. But if the concern is a safe, family environment, there is no comparison - TP hands down, and yes that is why the property valus there are so high.

Old 07-17-2011, 05:21 AM

85 posts, read 135,006 times
Default My Status

My move has been delayed quite a bit, which is why I originally started posted on this forum months ago and I'm still at it now. But, we will be moving at some point in the near future, so we have been visiting the area and checking things out regularly. When we visit a new part of the city, we sometimes think it would be a possibility (like Glendale and North Avondale). But, in the end, I think it will come down to something in one of the following areas (in rank order).

1) Mariemont - we LOVE the neighborhood feel, the age of the housing, and that you can walk to a nice town square, but the houses are a little small for the price. We also like Terrace Park and the houses in Columbia Township that attend Mariemont schools.

2) Hyde Park/Mt. Lookout/Oakley - the area that attends Kilgour will work for us and the housing is a great fit. We like the size of the housing, the age, and the walkability. Some parts of this area feel to urban, but we LOVE Victoria Ave and streets like it.

3) Madeira - the houses here are a little newer than we usually like, but this is still a great option for the schools, location, and that is a little more affordable than Mariemont.

4) Kenwood - I need to spend more time here, but the schools and location are a great fit. There are a few houses we like in this area, but it doesn't really have the neighborhood feel we want.

The other areas I looked at - Montgomery, Blue Ash, Symmes Township, Wyoming, Glendale, N. Avondale, etc - have fallen further down the list for various reasons.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:39 AM

8,604 posts, read 12,203,810 times
Quote:

2) Hyde Park/Mt. Lookout/Oakley - the area that attends Kilgour will work for us and the housing is a great fit. We like the size of the housing, the age, and the walkability. Some parts of this area feel to urban, but we LOVE Victoria Ave and streets like it.
I am pretty sure that the Saybrook, Bellecrest Ault Park Ave, area which has houses just like Victoria feeds Kilgour School. Other similar houses with somewhat higher prices are found on Aultview, Custer, etc. and very walkable to Kilgour.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:59 AM

1,873 posts, read 1,451,864 times
Quote:

The street directly north of Victoria, running parallel, is called Portsmouth and is a fine street as well with a slightly lower price tag. My good friend has a house there loves the street and the house. On the north side of the street, the back of the lots do face against railroad tracks, which has historically lowered their price, but recently the train volume is less than one a month and there is a plan in place to convert the tracks into a bicycle path.

I would also talk to a realtor about Mariemont. I do like the neighborhood, but I have a slight concern that it is becoming overdeveloped. When I was growing up in the mid 80's the square was the only commercial development in the village and in the summer there was as much walking and bicycle traffic as cars. The library was considered on the outskirts and everything down the hill on Wooster pike was wooded. If you look at real estate listings, you can see that there are quite a few high price condos being built in Mariemont now, which will increase the population density even more. While the parks and green space are currently very nice, the community is no longer the sleepy pastoral one that it was fifteen to twenty years ago, and the development trend seems to be picking up in pace very recently.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:56 AM

33 posts, read 45,703 times
I live in Altanta now but have a home and many friends in North Avondale still though I have been gone 20 years. We still own our house there. It is currently leased to Pharmacist and a Chemistry Professor, both six figure people and they lvoe the neighborhood.
North Avondale has many very affluent residents. Several "old money" families continue to live in the area descended from the original families who lived there. You also have a high incidence of several members of the same upper middle classed and affluent families all owning homes in the area. Two families of NATIONAL prominence also live in North Avondale.
Frankly a lot of people who cut down North Avondale are people who cannot afford to live there!!! We call it jealousy, the young people today call it "hating."

Old 07-19-2011, 08:22 PM

406 posts, read 470,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post

I would also talk to a realtor about Mariemont. I do like the neighborhood, but I have a slight concern that it is becoming overdeveloped. When I was growing up in the mid 80's the square was the only commercial development in the village and in the summer there was as much walking and bicycle traffic as cars. The library was considered on the outskirts and everything down the hill on Wooster pike was wooded. If you look at real estate listings, you can see that there are quite a few high price condos being built in Mariemont now, which will increase the population density even more. While the parks and green space are currently very nice, the community is no longer the sleepy pastoral one that it was fifteen to twenty years ago, and the development trend seems to be picking up in pace very recently.

This is a very interesting point. I believe that population density eventually (decades and decades) leads to neighborhood decline. But it starts like this, because the area is so desirable that greedy developers cram units into there to maximize their profits.

After a long time, however, the area becomes less desirable, the rents get lowered to attract tenants to pay the bills, and then the population density becomes a down side. The lowered rents lead to less money for upkeep and renewal, etc in a big cycle.

Anyway I tried to avoid areas that are densely packed and or have zoning that would allow such a thing. If you have one house per acre and no multi-units (eg Amberly) it is very hard (not impossible!) for blight to creep in.

Just some random thoughts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati