U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 09:49 AM

8,604 posts, read 12,203,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeytraveler View Post
I'm not sure what makes this the first stop west of here but it's a few blocks away and a somewhat steep walk up the hill to even get across sycamore. There's also another playground between this one and prospect hill. With the uptick in violent crime in Otr seems have been staying pretty quiet up on the hill. Hopefully it stays that way and calms down everywhere.
In posts that are now missing, people from not around here were talking about walking to Findlay Market and other parts of OTR. Are you up by Milton's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 10:10 AM

306 posts, read 247,270 times
Pretty much next door, on Milton St.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Pretty much next door, on Milton St.
Well, if you like a local pub that would be a great spot. I can probably see your house from my office on Sycamore (four buildings down from Liberty). If you have not been in Ted Gantz house on the corner down from Milton's, it is a one of a kind perfect Victorian restoration. Everything in there is period authentic. He has an open house once a year and it is worth crashing (he won't mind) to see it.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:02 AM

Yep it's a good spot. Been in the current place about 3 years and in the neighborhood for 6ish. Your talking about the sculpture place right? Woud be cool to check out, I love that everyone here loves to show off there homes.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Yep it's a good spot. Been in the current place about 3 years and in the neighborhood for 6ish. Your talking about the sculpture place right? Woud be cool to check out, I love that everyone here loves to show off there homes.

I'll try to remember to post up when I get Ted's invitation if he is still doing the open house. His sculpture partner (as opposed to life partner) is a relative of mine and I'll see him on July 4 and will ask if the open house is on. Its quite a place. Like walking into a time machine.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:08 PM

9 posts, read 13,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
This is a complicated topic and I am typing on an I pad (can i just say that the I Pad is the stupidest device I have ever used. It has a software keyboard that they could program any way they wanted and it has neither a forward delete key nor arrow keys - Geez). , so I'll stop back and revisit this later, but this was the discussion that was had the other day to little avail.

A friend on mine, Julie Gerdsen essentially invented the rebirth of Prospect Hill. She was a UC professor and did the first 5 renovations up there. Its was utterly urban slum before Julie came. That was in the 80's. My nephew renovated and lived on Cumber.
Suffice it to say that while Milton and Boal have good views there is exactly zero shopping or amenities and there is no place to walk safely after dark. Because of that, it is not comparable to Hyde Park or Mt. Adams.
More later.

Prospect Hill is not part of Mt. Auburn, physically or socially. It is part of OTR and Pendleton.

I would add to GC's comment above that there is also a gay enclave up there with several guys concentrating on the beautiful architecture and the views. A close knit group however. Prospect Hill has some great houses with good views. There are a couple of anchors there. Ted Gantz, a renown architectural metal artist designing stairways and public sculpture is on Sycamore at Milton with a renovated museum like Victorian. There is a similar point at the intersection of Milton and Highland. And then there is Miltons. But cross Sycamore north of Liberty and head down McMicken and you are in danger.

There are only about 100 buildings of consequence up there. Everything else is urban slum.
Sorry to resurrect a thread that hasn't seen any action in about 5 1/2 months, but I figured I would comment, as I just moved into Prospect Hill.

Well, first let me say, my dad actually has been living in Prospect Hill on Milton since 1989. So he must have come in right around the time your friend did, Wilson!

Anyway, my father still owns the house at the top of Milton (in the 500 block range). For the last 4 or 5 years, he barely has lived in it, as he lives with his girlfriend down in Holden Beach, North Carolina. However, he still comes back to the house once a month as he still is a business partner in a local CPA firm.

My fiance and I moved into his house here on Milton, coming from Washington, DC. I got a promotion to come here with the federal government, and Cincinnati was a dream come true for us, as she and I are both from Iowa and wanted to get back to the Midwest...plus, its just a bonus that my dad is here off-and-on and allowed us to live in his house and keep an eye on it while he is away...rent free...while we save up for the wedding next year. We are in our early 30's and are looking to start a family after the wedding.

I must say, I LOVE Prospect Hill so far. This is not my first experience with it, as my brother and I would come visit my father every summer for 10+ years. We visited from the ages of 10 (back in 1989) through age 19 (1998) on an annual basis, and then college hit. Now, mind you, my bro and I grew up in Iowa, and Cincinnati always seemed like a big town to us (we grew up in a metro area, the Quad Cities, of about 275,000 people). However, we always felt safe on Milton and Boal Streets...two Iowa boys from a smaller city. My fiance comes from a town of less than 5,000 in Iowa and is loving the neighborhood so far, as are her parents who were fretting for her.

I will say, Wilson, that I must disagree with your comment that you can't walk anywhere after dark. Last month, when Wicked was in town, I took my fiance to see it as a bit of a "settling into Cincy" present. We walked back after the show, after dark, and felt VERY safe. We walked up Main from downtown, crossed Liberty, and turned right on Liberty, walking to Hiram Steps. We took the steps right up the hill to Milton.

You are correct that there are few amenities. However, the one amenity that it does have, Milton's Tavern, is extra special. The first week we were here last month, my fiance and I walked down the hill on Milton and got a drink at the tavern. We were thoroughly welcomed to the neighborhood by the bartender and his fiance who was with him. It just felt like coming home...being invited in like that. Neighborhood bars are a dime a dozen in every town...even in Iowa. But, Milton's has the distinction of being the only bar in Prospect Hill proper, and they seem to relish it and that is very special.

Anyway, I am enjoying reading all of these threads and I am sure I will be bantering with some more of you as we get acclimated to the city. If anyone knows of a Prospect Hill neighborhood group or club, please inform me with a private message! Looking forward to talking with all of you!

Last edited by IowanInCincy; 12-12-2011 at 05:07 PM..

Old 12-12-2011, 04:42 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,538,815 times
^ Great post! One of the most informative and positive posts about our inner city, from a newcomer, ever! Thanks! (I'm hoping to drop in "Milton's Tavern" v-e-r-y soon--like maybe tomorrow!)

Old 12-12-2011, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
^ Great post! One of the most informative and positive posts about our inner city, from a newcomer, ever! Thanks! (I'm hoping to drop in "Milton's Tavern" v-e-r-y soon--like maybe tomorrow!)
Thank you, Motorman! I might stop by myself, as the bartender who greeted us last month works on Tuesdays.

Oh, and just in case anyone was wondering how I found this thread, I was doing some Google research on the book "Prospect Hill: A Neighborhood Reborn," published in 1989, the year my dad moved into the neighborhood. This thread popped up on the third or fourth URL.

As an aside, does anyone know how I can get a copy of this book? It seems very rare...I was at the Main Library today on my lunch break and they have a copy, but is categorized as a "Rare Book" and I was about out of time and didn't want to go through the fiasco of having the library clerk pull it out for me when I only had 5 more minutes to spare! This neighborhood, its architecture, and inhabitants has got me really wanting to explore its history! (Besides the house we live in, which I found out was the Wehmer House a few years back when my dad and I did some exploring of the original title and deed with the county).

Old 12-12-2011, 06:43 PM

I'm not sure if it's the same book, but I looked at a similar one at the historic library at union terminal. It was a planning book that had lots of info about zoning, old pics, etc. I believe it was written when applying for the historic register. Neighborhood meetings are the first Mondays of the month at mitons at 7 I believe. Haven't been in a while but trying to get back into the swing of things. And most importantly welcome to the neighborhood!

Old 12-12-2011, 06:52 PM

Thanks, Joey! I may try to go this January, then. We will see how the schedule permits with the New Years holiday.

Is there a website that I can access in regards to the neighborhood association, and that is kept up-to-date? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati