Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 06:55 PM

5 posts, read 29,709 times

Advertisements

Thank you everyone for you responses! It is hard to know where we will fit in, and where we will finally setlle, but I think that we have a lot of options in Cincinnati. With the housing market down, we should be able to find a good deal too.

I do have another question though. Do we need to consider a lower price point, and send our kids to private school?

Cincy IU29- I am not from the North Shore of Chicago, we live in the Western Suburbs of Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 07:08 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy4Kids View Post
Thank you everyone for you responses! It is hard to know where we will fit in, and where we will finally setlle, but I think that we have a lot of options in Cincinnati. With the housing market down, we should be able to find a good deal too.

I do have another question though. Do we need to consider a lower price point, and send our kids to private school?

Cincy IU29- I am not from the North Shore of Chicago, we live in the Western Suburbs of Chicago.

We have some really superb private schools. And that includes some really spectacular Catholic schools and some great non sectarian schools.

The big advantage for private schools is that you can live in Hyde Park, Cincinnati's most livable community. When my family moved from Riverside IL years ago they fit right in to Hyde PArk and I'm still here.

Tell whether you are interested in parochial schools or not and I'll post up some info. Also, in the meantime check out the rating of Walnut Hills High School, a public school which your children could attend.

PS Price wise, roughly, parochial elementary schools from $4000-$12000 and private $12-15k. High schools: parochial $5000-14k, private: $16-24k.

One really cannot compare these private schools often with one teacher per two students and unique learning opportunities like foreign travel and famous lecturers, etc. with the best public schools.

I was lucky to have one private school kid and one Walnut Hill High School kid. The WHHS kid got a full ride to Rensselaer Poly. Inst. (They like WHHS out there in the world, I tell you.)

Last edited by Wilson513; 06-28-2011 at 07:20 PM..

Old 06-28-2011, 07:21 PM

5 posts, read 29,709 times
Wilson513,

We are catholic, so would consider sending the kids to private/parochial schools. I suppose I should share that our budget is max $800,000. But that is sending the kids to public school. If we are spending upwards of 10-20,000 per year/per child - we can afford up to $550,000. Also, we have a beautiful house in Chicago that is completely renovated. We want the same when we move, but I am getting discouraged that we will find this in Cincinnati. We have a new kitchen, new baths, very nice but small yard.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 06-28-2011, 07:26 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
Quote:
Wilson513,

We are catholic, so would consider sending the kids to private/parochial schools. I suppose I should share that our budget is max $800,000. But that is sending the kids to public school. If we are spending upwards of 10-20,000 per year/per child - we can afford up to $550,000. Also, we have a beautiful house in Chicago that is completely renovated. We want the same when we move, but I am getting discouraged that we will find this in Cincinnati. We have a new kitchen, new baths, very nice but small yard.

Thanks in advance for your help!

I think you should sort out your school choice first. With parochial schools you will be well under the 10,000 average over time. You will probably have one or more at WHHS, other choices.I'll look up a couple of parochial school tuition and give you some examples.

EDIT:

Check this place out, its incredibly posh and well respected, right in the heart of Mt. Lookout (Hyde Park=Mt. Lookout):

http://www.stursulavilla.org/tuition.php

Be sure to check out the photos:

http://www.stursulavilla.org/viewofthevilla.php

Oh, here's some good info, from 2008 so add 5-10% but it has them all:

http://books.google.com/books?id=TB4...uition&f=false

Last edited by Wilson513; 06-28-2011 at 07:46 PM..

Old 06-29-2011, 11:28 AM

64 posts, read 81,645 times
Quote:
Hmm. Trust-fund brats in Terrace Park....

And is that so about Indian Hill "elite"? Does that mean they are snobby? We are not snobby people.
But, there are many homes for sale in Indian Hill that are comparable in price to Mt. Lookout/Hyde Park, Mariemont and Terrace Park. Seems that you get a lot more land, and it seems similar to the Northwest Suburbs of Chicago. We do not want to live in Mt. Lookout/Hyde Park area though, as it's too close to the "city" and seems that you MUST do private school.

Where do all of the nice, down-to-earth people live?
Indian Hill is a bizarre neighborhood. You've got the mansions and the like on a gazillion acres, but then you also have 2500 s.f. homes on 1 acre lots with a decided "neighborly" feel on streets like Clippinger and Graves. Not everyone is trust-fund snobby. A number of people who live in the neighborhood-y parts actually inherited or bought the homes from their parents and chose to live there because of the neighborhood feel, and are incredibly nice, down-to-earth people.

There are some overpriced homes there, certainly, but there are also some good deals to be had. If you need a good realtor to help you navigate the maze of those neighborhoods, send me a direct message and I'll give you the name and number of a realtor who knows Mariemont, IH, and Terrace Park like the back of his hand.

Also, I was driving down a road called Demar the other day and saw a nice ranch that was FSBO. I do believe it had been updated in the past 5 years and might be in your price range with enough left over to do any desired additional "beautification."

You really can't go wrong with any of the three areas you have chosen. There are great parks, great schools, great neighborhoods, and great people in all three. Perhaps not great diversity, from an economic, ethnic and/or religious standpoint, but...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati