U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2011, 10:51 AM

71 posts, read 109,390 times

Advertisements

I live in the Eastgate area and recently started working in northern Sharonville near the Mosteller Rd. exit. The morning drive is an easy 30 minutes, but at 5:00 in the evening the drive time home is a crap shoot. Normal return times are around 40 minutes, which I consider okay, but the record slow time was 1.5 hours. The real bottleneck area is from about Rt. 42 to Montgomery Rd. I imagine it only gets worse in the winter.

I realize that no back roads will be a shorter drive home than 40 minutes. That said, if it looks like it will take a while just to get on 275 at Mosteller, what is my best bet? Take Kemper and get on at Reed Hartman? Maybe a reasonable way to get further east to get on from Montgomery Rd?

Christopher
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 01:53 PM

2,509 posts, read 3,354,585 times
While painful, you can take 32 all the way in to Newtown, up Wooster Pike through Mariemont to Plainville, then cut through Madisonville to Stewart Road, then get on I-71N at Stewart and either take 71 to Cross County to Reed Hartman or take Kenwood Rd through Blue Ash to Glendale Milford. I would only do this if there was a serious accident or lane closures on 275, though. I think this route would take about 40-45 minutes with no traffic at all, and an hour+ during rush hour.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:40 PM

71 posts, read 109,390 times
Kemper all the way to Branch Hill Guinea, then maybe pick up 275 at Rt. 28 or stay on the back roads from there looks easiest. On the map that is. I may try it some evening after work and see how long it takes.

Someone sent a PM suggesting moving closer to work, which may be considered but is not doable now.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:22 PM

520 posts, read 1,694,475 times
I used to a have a similar, though shorter, commute from the Milford area to Sharonville. Kemper is probably the best back route but in my experience, when 275 is slow, Kemper is slow. Many times I jumped off 275 at Mosteller and got back on at Reed-Hartman, 42, or Loveland-Madiera. In most of these cases, it would have been faster (but maybe more aggravating) to just stay on the highway.

Most people I know that make that commute either stay late in the evening or arrive at work early so they can leave around 4PM.

Kemper to Branch-Hill Guinea to 28 will take forever. Kemper is slow from Mosteller to 42. Lots of lights. Lots of businesses. Lots of traffic. From 42 to Reed-Hartman usually isn't bad. From Reed-Hartman to Montgomery Road traffic slows again. All the commuters coming home. When 275 is slow, everyone takes Kemper.

Kemper doesn't directly connect to Branch-Hill Guinea so you need to make a decision. From Montgomery road, you can go south and jump onto 275. Or you can continue past 275 and turn left on Weller road. Weller runs into Weil which deadends at Hopewell. Hopewell becomes Branch-Hill Guinea when you cross Loveland-Madiera Rd. Hopewell is a nice road but this is a long route. Might as well just get back on 275.

Or you stay on Kemper when you cross Montgomery Road... and things back up again. It's one lane and there is a stop sign 1/2 mile up the road. At 5 when everyone is coming home, this is a very aggravating stop sign. At the stop sign you can turn right onto Weller and then left onto Weil and continue on Hopewell. Or you can stay on Kemper through two more stop signs and turn right onto Loveland-Madiera. This is what I usually do.

Once you hit Loveland-Madiera you can continue to 275 or turn left onto Branch Hill Guinea. The turn lane onto Branch-Hill Guinea backs way up at rush hour and you could sit through 2 or 3 or 4 lights. I've seen it back up all the way to Kemper many times. Once you're on Branch-Hill Guinea, its ~10 minutes to 28.

28 to 275 sucks. Lots of traffic. Stop lights. Shoppers. Commuters. I live off Branch-Hill Guinea, about a mile from 28, and I avoid 28 as much as I can - rush hour or not.

So, Kemper to Branch-Hill Guinea to 28 to 275 looks nice on the map but at rush hour, especially on a day with bad traffic, it would take well over an hour. The only way I would take that route is if the highway was shut down. You are almost always better off just staying on the highway.

Try it out though. Some people like back routes. I need to be in the right mood.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:56 PM

577 posts, read 1,004,714 times
That is a horrible commute. I used to travel to Eastgate from Forest Park to work everyday and it would take anywhere from 35 minutes on a good day to 50 minutes on a bad day just on that section of 275. One morning 275 was closed somewhere around Indian Hill and I went 275 to 71 to 471 back to 275. I was surprised that it did not really add to my commute and at times the traffic was a little lighter but after trying it several times I found that it was tiring getting on and off of exits and the straight shot down 275 was more appealing.

I also tried going straight down Kemper and over to 275 near Milford. Nice drive if you have some time on your hands and want to enjoy the scenary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or