U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 07:55 AM

2,886 posts, read 3,950,603 times

Advertisements

The "commuter" posts on this thread have me thinking about the fact that there are a variety of kinds of commuting, too. I don't know what the University of Kentucky is like now, but when I lived in a dorm as an out-of-state student in the late 1960s, it was amazing how the dorms and for that matter the entire campus emptied out by about 4:00 on Friday afternoons. Even though at the time freshmen were required to occupy a dorm room. These particular commuters, if you want to call them that, made a two, three or four-hour drive home EVERY WEEKEND. All that said, I don't think people called UK a commuter school, it was instead viewed simply as the flagship state university.

That all may have changed, and there's no point really except to say that a lot of factors influence student housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 07:46 PM

5,310 posts, read 6,610,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
I have a lot of inside information but no neutral opinion. First, nothing that Xavier does is in "response" to what UC does. The two schools are not in the same universe. Xavier is a top quality school offering a Jesuit undergraduate education to a small number of mostly students from out of town. UC (my alma mater) is a huge commuter school offering a second rate education to an enormous mob of undergraduates but offering some very good post graduate technical schools.

Other than the cross-town shootout, I would doubt that Fr. Graham or any of the board ever thinks of UC. I suspect they pay a lot of attention to what Loyola, John Carroll, Georgetown, and Marquette are up to.

I would be surprised if one of 50 students applying at Xavier also applies to UC.

I don't think the expansion of the XU campus means anything much to the locals except that it is nice to finally have the remnants of that chemical plant gone.

How, exactly, is a UC education second rate?

Old 07-05-2011, 07:32 AM

10,139 posts, read 22,409,188 times
Well, the authoritative index, US News Rankings of the best national universities, ranks UC tied for 156th place. That is out of 191 rankings. Or, for the math majors at UC, the bottom 20% of all national universities.

But that is only part of the story. UC has some spectacular undergraduate programs, such as the College Conservatory of Music, DAAP, and its Co-op Engineering program (top ranked by grad schools everywhere). None of the other bottom of the barrel national universities have anything like these marvelous programs. The rankings are a composite or average of the entire university. Even with the CCM, DAAP and Engineering programs, UC ends up in the cellar at #156.

To me that means that the remainder of the UC programs, including the Business College where I received a BBA, are dismal to say the least. So, that is why I say that the vast majority of UC undergrads get a second rate education.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:16 AM

5,310 posts, read 6,610,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Well, the authoritative index, US News Rankings of the best national universities, ranks UC tied for 156th place. That is out of 191 rankings. Or, for the math majors at UC, the bottom 20% of all national universities.

But that is only part of the story. UC has some spectacular undergraduate programs, such as the College Conservatory of Music, DAAP, and its Co-op Engineering program (top ranked by grad schools everywhere). None of the other bottom of the barrel national universities have anything like these marvelous programs. The rankings are a composite or average of the entire university. Even with the CCM, DAAP and Engineering programs, UC ends up in the cellar at #156.

To me that means that the remainder of the UC programs, including the Business College where I received a BBA, are dismal to say the least. So, that is why I say that the vast majority of UC undergrads get a second rate education.

The engineering co-op program is for undergraduates. It would not be ranked by grad schools.

A better measure of the quality of education is how many job offers the average graduate receives. This shows what industry really thinks of a particular school.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:40 AM

10,139 posts, read 22,409,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
The engineering co-op program is for undergraduates. It would not be ranked by grad schools.
Wrong. Grad schools care more about the quality of the undergrad program than any other aspect of the applicant's qualifications. And, these days an advanced degree is essential for engineering since so many entry level engineering tasks have been outsourced abroad.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:51 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,360,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post

A better measure of the quality of education is how many job offers the average graduate receives. This shows what industry really thinks of a particular school.
I don't understand why an undergraduate program would not be ranked by grad schools. We are not talking about the ranking of the grad school itself, we are talking about the grad school ranking what feeds them, since this is a measure of their own likelihood at success. The Co-op program at UC is far and away their best outside of medical and law. The practical experience it provides creates a level of maturity beyond the student's years. I can well understand why grad schools would welcome UC Co-op students, anyone who spends 5 years to get a 4 year degree must have a focus on where they are going.

As far as the contention the number of job offers reflects the quality of the education, I want to see a slightly different statistic. Not only the number of job offers, but the average annual salary as a percentage of the total cost of education at that school. Then throw in a second statistic, the Loan Dollars Owed as a percentage of the average annual salary.

Just as we have seen the Housing Bubble burst, it is time we see the College Education Cost burst. Both have come from a society makeup which is no longer our norm.

Old 07-05-2011, 05:59 PM

2,554 posts, read 5,835,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Are all student who are Columbus natives but go to Ohio State commuters?

Based on my college experience being a commuter vs residential student isn't about geography but mentality. A commuter student never gets involved with on campus activities, feel detached from the rest of the student body, and generally dislike their school and only attend to get a degree. A residential student takes advantage of the opportunities available to get involved in campus life.
Exactly.

My point is, I don't care if you are international, from another state, or lived down the road, if you live near campus or in the neighborhoods around campus, it adds to the college vibe and feel to the area. UC has a far better college vibe to it than a majority of campuses around the country, and I have to say it is a pretty damn good-looking urban campus too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati