U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 04:37 PM

9,588 posts, read 20,471,944 times

Advertisements

Hello

Just curious exactly how most people divide Cincinnati up into sides of town. Seems like it is mostly West vs East, with Mill Creek/ I-75 being the divider? I've also heard the term "Northside" tossed around.

In the 1960s much of my family moved from rural KY to the Lockland/ Carthage area. Would that be considered the West side?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 05:09 PM

901 posts, read 1,951,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Hello

Just curious exactly how most people divide Cincinnati up into sides of town. Seems like it is mostly West vs East, with Mill Creek/ I-75 being the divider? I've also heard the term "Northside" tossed around.

In the 1960s much of my family moved from rural KY to the Lockland/ Carthage area. Would that be considered the West side?
I don't really think of Lockland/Carthage being east OR west. It's basically north central. For me, you don't really get into the west until you get past the rail yards in Queensgate, and then west of Hamilton Avenue. To me, the "east" is anything east of I-71 and south of Deer Park. Everything else is either in the central area of the city, or else the northern suburbs.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:34 PM

10,139 posts, read 22,424,007 times
Vine Street

Old 06-29-2011, 07:20 PM

9,588 posts, read 20,471,944 times
What about the Colerain/ Forest Park areas? Is that West or North/ Central?

Old 06-29-2011, 07:50 PM

698 posts, read 1,427,770 times
Among my peers and I've been trying to coin the term "North Cincinnati". I go to school in Toledo and whenever I'm asked about what part of the 513 I'm from, that is what I refer to. Its boundaries are Spring Grove Ave to the south, I-75 to the east, Rt. 127 to the west (Hamilton Ave/Mill Rd.) and the county line to the north.

There was a discussion on my community's (Finneytown) Facebook page about what side of town we were considered, and the consensus was North Central. I'd describe Colerain as being its own side of town or simply Northwest.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:13 PM

60 posts, read 130,447 times
I never viewed it as westside / eastside; more like westside / not westside.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:38 AM

3,335 posts, read 5,729,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Hello

the term "northside" on this forum generally refers to an ironically central neighborhood called simply northside. once upon a time it was called north cumminsville, but its name was shortened.

Cincinnati is a classic west versus east division. there is no north - south division because Cincinnati doesn't have a south side.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:50 AM

2,509 posts, read 3,354,585 times
Technically, Vine street is the dividing line. Streets change names from East X to West X when crossing over Vine, However, when it comes to neighborhoods, 'central' is an option. If someone says they live on the West side, they are typically not talking about Gaslight Clifton or Northside. As you get further north, the distinction fades as well. No one considers Mason eastside or West Chester westside.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:38 AM

901 posts, read 1,951,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
Technically, Vine street is the dividing line. Streets change names from East X to West X when crossing over Vine, However, when it comes to neighborhoods, 'central' is an option. If someone says they live on the West side, they are typically not talking about Gaslight Clifton or Northside. As you get further north, the distinction fades as well. No one considers Mason eastside or West Chester westside.
Not to be splitting hairs here, but technically West Chester would be considered on the EAST side IF the east/west division extended further north into Butler County. Vine Street basically becomes Springfield Pike after it gets into Hartwell/Wyoming - which is Rt. 4. And West Chester is east of Rt. 4.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:06 AM

3,335 posts, read 5,729,880 times
why is vine street the dividing line? i always thought of mill creek as the divider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati