U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 10:39 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,665,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubby513 View Post
Moerlein beers are great. To double up on the previous reviews...the OTR, Northern Liberties, and Helles are excellent. I really like the Barbarossa too, among others. I absolutely love supporting local brews, so I go with Mt. Carmel and Rivertown sometimes too. Of course, it's fun to try any good tasting micro brew...recently been having some Avery Brew Co. beers and they've been great. Bell's from MI is awesome too. Anything is better than Bud Light, Miller, etc...that **** is awful.
This ^

If I have to do cheap, mass-produced domestic beer, I'll go with Coors Light over Bud Light and Miller, only because I love Denver and don't really care for St. Louis or Milwaukee.

I can't imagine a scenario where I'd willingly order a Bud Light. If I'm at someone's house and that's all they have, that's one thing. But at a restaurant or pub? No way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 10:45 AM

279 posts, read 577,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
This ^

If I have to do cheap, mass-produced domestic beer, I'll go with Coors Light over Bud Light and Miller, only because I love Denver and don't really care for St. Louis or Milwaukee.

I can't imagine a scenario where I'd willingly order a Bud Light. If I'm at someone's house and that's all they have, that's one thing. But at a restaurant or pub? No way.
Hell yeah. I know everyone is allowed and should have their own tastes, but damn...it just kills me how people will drink Bud Light at a bar or restaurant when you could pick dozens of better beers...I can't help but assume they are just so over-marketed that people don't even consider anything past Bud, Miller, etc. Yuck.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:59 AM

3,335 posts, read 5,748,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubby513 View Post
Anything is better than Bud Light, Miller, etc...that **** is awful.
I feel like those beers have too little flavor to actually be considered awful

no joke, a bartender friend tells me they would frequently run out of one of the bud/miller/coors light beers and switch the keg with one of the others but keep the handle, so for example you might order a bud light, watch the barkeep pour a beer out of the bud light handle, but actually end up with a miller lite.

so the funny part - and the reason they did this - they had many customers that ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED bud or coors or miller lite (it was "their beer"). and in all the years (literally) of doing "the switch," NOT ONE PERSON COMPLAINED.

Old 07-03-2011, 03:55 PM

5,324 posts, read 6,647,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
It's not quite so simple. States do have the authority to restrict movement of alcohol into the state, and many states have restrictions as to how much you can bring in from the outside before you have to declare it and pay taxes on it. Now Ohio probably isn't as uptight about this as Pennsylvania, but when I lived in Pittsburgh I remember the big deal was the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board actually used to station agents in West Virginia liquor stores and report back to waiting state troopers the license plate numbers of Pennsylvanians who were stocking up the sauce. It was probably happening in other bordering states too but we heard about the WV stores because a) they were closest to our local market, and b) WV caught on and kindly told the PLCB agents to fk off and get the hell out of their state.

Outside of local interest in Pennsylvania, I simply do not understand the appeal of Yuengling. It must be the novelty of it because it sure doesn't taste like anything special enough to merit the interest so many people seem to have in it.

Anyway, glad to see there's some movement thanks to this Morelein fellow but it almost sounds like he has the local craft-brew maret cornered (Rock Bottom and Hofbrau don't count though they have their own merits). How about some more players?

And what about just plain decent beer bars that sell regional/national/international craft beers? I've been to Beer Sellar. Expansive tap lineup but it's all stuff that isn't too hard to get your hands on elsewhere. Plus I felt like I was at a frat party and I'm too old for that nonsense. Allyn's has a good bottle selection but where are the tap lines? Dilly Deli (or "Dilly Cafe" as I suppose it's now called) had excellent beers on their lines -- but only had 10 lines. Have they expanded their options recently?

I also had the chance to hit up BarrelHouse's brewpub in OTR many years ago. That was a really cool place. Was it just not generating enough business or was something else involved in the closure of the brewpub? What about the brewery post-brewpub?

Back in the 1980s, Ohio liquor agents would scope out liquor stores just over the border in Indiana. One of my friends used to stock up on booze in Indiana and bring it back to his fraternity at Miami U. He never got caught because his vehicle license plate was registered to an Eaton mailing address, but he lived in the frat house in Oxford.

Old 07-03-2011, 03:57 PM

5,324 posts, read 6,647,894 times
Quote:
Sort of. They're really more of a combined marketing arm than a combined brewing company. Miller is owned by SAB (South African Breweries), but SAB does not own Coors. It's a strange arrangement. In fact Coors is the only one of the major three that is still American-owned -- and only half-so at that.

Is any beer still brewed in Milwaukee?

Old 07-03-2011, 04:05 PM

38,691 posts, read 87,070,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Is any beer still brewed in Milwaukee?
Oh sure, Miller churns out 10 million barrels from their Milwaukee plant every year. There's also a Leinenkugel's outpost there. I don't know if they sell Leinenkugel's down there; it's a smallish regional brewery distributing mostly in the upper Midwest that was bought by Miller a few years ago. Their main brewery is in western Wisconsin but they decided it was a good idea to have a presence in Milwaukee too. There's a a couple of smaller craft breweries like Sprecher and Lakefront, a number of local brewpubs, and a Rock Bottom to boot.

Old 07-03-2011, 05:19 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,665,096 times
Quote:
Oh sure, Miller churns out 10 million barrels from their Milwaukee plant every year. There's also a Leinenkugel's outpost there. I don't know if they sell Leinenkugel's down there; it's a smallish regional brewery distributing mostly in the upper Midwest that was bought by Miller a few years ago. Their main brewery is in western Wisconsin but they decided it was a good idea to have a presence in Milwaukee too. There's a a couple of smaller craft breweries like Sprecher and Lakefront, a number of local brewpubs, and a Rock Bottom to boot.
Yea, Leinenkugel's is sold down here. In fact, they're really advertising heavily during Reds TV broadcasts this summer. I had the summer shandy the other day (it's the only beer on tap at Cadillac Ranch downtown) and loved it.

Isn't Red Dog and Ice House brewed in Milwaukee too?

Old 07-03-2011, 05:46 PM

38,691 posts, read 87,070,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
Isn't Red Dog and Ice House brewed in Milwaukee too?
I don't know if they're brewed specifically in Milwaukee, but Icehouse is a Miller brand and Red Dog probably is too. I know AB has (or had?) their own Red something-or-other too but I can't remember which was who's.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:08 AM

31,333 posts, read 57,569,985 times
Quote:
Party in the Park is a real pooper now. Just say no to Bud Light. But then it appears that event is targetting the lowest taste denominator in all aspects of what makes a good music fest.
That's a bummer; even if the beer was lousy, the music was usually decent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
I've been drinking Yeungling (lager) for over 20 years now before it became popular outside of PA.
Well, bless your heart.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:38 AM

73 posts, read 72,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
I feel like those beers have too little flavor to actually be considered awful

no joke, a bartender friend tells me they would frequently run out of one of the bud/miller/coors light beers and switch the keg with one of the others but keep the handle, so for example you might order a bud light, watch the barkeep pour a beer out of the bud light handle, but actually end up with a miller lite.

so the funny part - and the reason they did this - they had many customers that ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED bud or coors or miller lite (it was "their beer"). and in all the years (literally) of doing "the switch," NOT ONE PERSON COMPLAINED.
Absolutely true, my Dad worked at a family bar and people never noticed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or