U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 08:40 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,389,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
If it helps, I don't find the chili particularly thrilling, either.
I don't doubt there are people who do not care for it. But many must considering the number of chili parlors around. We have two Skylines, a Gold Star, and a Blue Ash right here in Mason. And you don't have to go far across the boundaries to find more.

And my daughters who live out of state are heroes when they import some for a hangout with their friends. It really goes over well during football season along with beer. I send them packets of the Cincxinnati dry mix all the time. The one in Oaklahoma reciprocates by sending me packets of Texas 5-Alarm mix as I can't find it around here.

This has nothing to do with good-looking P&Gers, but get me started on Cincinnati food and I will take off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 10:09 AM

74 posts, read 166,749 times
Johnny Burnette - Cincinnati Fireball:
YouTube - ‪Johnny Burnette - Cincinnati Fireball (STEREO)‬‏

Old 07-05-2011, 12:49 PM

901 posts, read 1,954,656 times
Well, I've always thought Cleveland had the cutest guys in this part of the country. So maybe the nicest looking ladies are in Cincinnati...? I'm sure it's all relative to our own definition of "good looking".

Old 07-05-2011, 01:21 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,226,156 times
According to Wikipedia, "Altogether, nine Fortune 500 companies and fifteen Fortune 1000 companies are headquartered in the Cincinnati area."

Big companies hire the following types, period: young graduates, and H1B/guest/offshore workers. Big companies don't usually hire undesirable, lazy middle aged types because they're no good for business and because they don't project the right forward image. **

So IMO, young professionals are slightly overrepresented in Cincinnati due to the businesses here.

It's not a regional genetic code or climactic thing. Go to Dayton or Middletown to see true Deliverance style people in an urban rust setting.

** Yes, I'm kidding.

Old 07-05-2011, 01:39 PM

5,807 posts, read 10,365,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58 View Post
According to Wikipedia, "Altogether, nine Fortune 500 companies and fifteen Fortune 1000 companies are headquartered in the Cincinnati area."

Big companies hire the following types, period: young graduates, and H1B/guest/offshore workers. Big companies don't usually hire undesirable, lazy middle aged types because they're no good for business and because they don't project the right forward image. **

So IMO, young professionals are slightly overrepresented in Cincinnati due to the businesses here.

It's not a regional genetic code or climactic thing. Go to Dayton or Middletown to see true Deliverance style people in an urban rust setting.

** Yes, I'm kidding.
Great post. This is why I think Cincinnati is in a certain class, and "cooler" than people realize. I totally got that impression when I visited.

Old 07-05-2011, 01:44 PM

Here is another interesting link about Cincinnati:

I don't want to necessarily offend anyone and suggest that one ethnic group is more "cosmopolitan" or "sophisticated" than any other, however there honestly a pattern I've seen that the stronger the Jewish heritage of an urban suburban area, the higher proportion of people who have made it big. Along with the classic architecture, Cincinnatis rich Jewish heritage makes also feel a bit more "east coast-like" than many of its midwest/upper south peers despite its heavy Appalachian population(Indianapolis, Louisville, etc). Here is a list of famous Jewish celebrities that were born or lived in the Queen City.

Famous Jewish Cincinnati

Old 07-05-2011, 05:54 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,226,156 times
^ There's a certain local arrogance and attitude here. I've ranted about the social backwash from that in the past on these pages. There is big money and success and tons of pride here and it gets pretty gag worthy at times.

However, these things give Cincinnati a relatively robust regional economy and sense of place that few other cities its size have. Cincinnati is pumpernickel in a field of white bread.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:30 AM

3,386 posts, read 3,708,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58 View Post

However, these things give Cincinnati a relatively robust regional economy and sense of place that few other cities its size have. Cincinnati is pumpernickel in a field of white bread.
Thanks for this observation! This unique city has probably never been summarized in such a pithy (and accurate) way.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:52 PM

577 posts, read 1,006,282 times
First of all, I must work on the wrong side of town because what I see on a normal day is usually someone pushing the limits of spandex and sucking on a Virginia Slim like it is their lifeline.

In my opinion, I always thought the best looking women were from Indiana. It just seems that when I meet beautiful women, they are usually from Indiana. Perhaps a coincidence.

As far as the food here in Cincinnati, I think that it would be the cause for the spandex abusing crowd more. Especially goetta (there - someone had to say goetta - this is a Cincinnati forum you know).

Old 07-08-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deg1114 View Post
First of all, I must work on the wrong side of town because what I see on a normal day is usually someone pushing the limits of spandex and sucking on a Virginia Slim like it is their lifeline.

In my opinion, I always thought the best looking women were from Indiana. It just seems that when I meet beautiful women, they are usually from Indiana. Perhaps a coincidence.

As far as the food here in Cincinnati, I think that it would be the cause for the spandex abusing crowd more. Especially goetta (there - someone had to say goetta - this is a Cincinnati forum you know).
Are you on the west side? That might make a difference.

Mt. Adams would likely be different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or