U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2011, 01:40 PM

466 posts, read 880,738 times

Advertisements

My husband and I where thinking of moving to Cincinnati, but now I read of the bed bugs infestation of Ohio. Is it really that bad?

Last edited by kagicre; 07-05-2011 at 01:57 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 06:10 PM

1,879 posts, read 2,121,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagicre View Post
My husband and I where thinking of moving to Cincinnati, but now I read of the bed bugs infestation of Ohio. Is it really that bad?
Probably no worse than a lot of other places, to be misquoting some spokesperson out of (I think it was) Hamilton County. The people are simply what is called "more pro-active."

Translation:

People in some places yell, scream and stomp their feet about something bad more so than do the people in other places. (That's usually based on whether they expect anyone to do something about it.)

The statistics are based on calls to pest control companies. If the companies don't get called, that doesn't mean the bugs aren't there. It simply means the company providing the statistics didn't get called.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:41 AM

5 posts, read 10,454 times
Default Hype from the press...

The "infestation" is hype from the press.
Bed bugs (like head lice) are mostly a lifestyle consideration. If you keep a clean and clutter free house, treat for pests at first siting, don't let trash accumulate etc. Pests (bed bugs included) are not an issue.

When you think of how bed-bugs spread equate it to a pest like head-lice or fleas. Like fleas and lice, Bed bugs do not crawl from house to house - they are carried and hitch rides from one place (or body) to another - looking for a warm-blooded meal.

Keep a clean and clutter free house, treat on first siting (as with ALL pests) and you will likely never have fleas, head lice or bed bugs.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:14 PM

246 posts, read 881,963 times
Well, we had 'em last summer. And we keep a clean house.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:57 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,360,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tntnb View Post
Don't doubt someone who maintains a clean house can get a bedbug investation. But don't forget, they hardly travel overland to get there. They need a host to provide transportation. This can also be very innocent in nature, pass bye in close proximity and they will hop on board, like fleas and ticks.

From the people who have experienced an investation, it sounds like a scary condition. From reading about them I have become quite paranoid. Every time I feel a strange bite I cannot explain I feel Oh My God Bedbugs. But the typical house, even a clean one, will experience spiders and various other forms of insects which will raise a welt if they bite you.

From what I can tell, there is a much higher percentage of homes which have had NO bedbug problems than those who have.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:04 AM

3,335 posts, read 5,726,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tntnb View Post
You have to have a clean house and not let any human inside, ever, under any circumstances.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:05 PM

87 posts, read 235,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperT View Post
The "infestation" is hype from the press.
Bed bugs (like head lice) are mostly a lifestyle consideration. If you keep a clean and clutter free house, treat for pests at first siting, don't let trash accumulate etc. Pests (bed bugs included) are not an issue.

When you think of how bed-bugs spread equate it to a pest like head-lice or fleas. Like fleas and lice, Bed bugs do not crawl from house to house - they are carried and hitch rides from one place (or body) to another - looking for a warm-blooded meal.

Keep a clean and clutter free house, treat on first siting (as with ALL pests) and you will likely never have fleas, head lice or bed bugs.

Your assertion seems to be that dirty people get bed bugs and lice...which is categorically false. anyone can get them...including you, as immaculately clean as i'm sure your house it. as you mention, the key is treating on first detection...unfortunately, in the case of bed bugs, first detection may be too late for an easy fix.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Don't doubt someone who maintains a clean house can get a bedbug investation. But don't forget, they hardly travel overland to get there. They need a host to provide transportation. This can also be very innocent in nature, pass bye in close proximity and they will hop on board, like fleas and ticks.

From the people who have experienced an investation, it sounds like a scary condition. From reading about them I have become quite paranoid. Every time I feel a strange bite I cannot explain I feel Oh My God Bedbugs. But the typical house, even a clean one, will experience spiders and various other forms of insects which will raise a welt if they bite you.

From what I can tell, there is a much higher percentage of homes which have had NO bedbug problems than those who have.

They reportedly can and do travel overland. It may be about 100 feet, but I think it's 100 yards (about a half of a city block). That's one way they move from one apartment to another when a "treatment" is going on in an infested one.

They are also tiny, especially the very young. Some people claim they can't fly, etc., but, put some in front of a good fan and you may very well see them "fly."

I don't remember if I listed this (yet) in my "bed bug discussion" thread, and can't look as my computer is barely working recently, so I'm posting it here at least as the point came up here. (It is in my notes. You bet it is.)

Old 07-18-2011, 12:39 PM

662 posts, read 739,845 times
WLWT.com

Related To Story
[CENTER][RIGHT]http://www.wlwt.com/images/structures/buttons/button_enlarge.gif (broken link)[/RIGHT]
http://www.wlwt.com/2010/0721/24337754_240X168.jpg (broken link)
[RIGHT]CDC[/RIGHT]
[/CENTER]

Time Focuses on Cincinnati as Ground Zero for Bedbugs

DOD Experts Called To Ohio To Help Combat Problem

POSTED: 10:55 pm EDT August 18, 2010
UPDATED: 4:35 pm EST February 3, 2011

CINCINNATI -- The bedbug problem in Cincinnati is making national headlines. Time magazine used the Queen City as the centerpiece of its exploration of the bedbug problem in the United States, and Ohio in particular.
The publication claims the problem is so dire, people are choosing to sleep in the streets, claims News 5 could not confirm.
Moderator cut: quote shortened, copyright protection, please read the tos

Copyright 2011 by WLWT.com. The Associated Press contributed to this report. All rights reserved. This material

Read more: Time Focuses on Cincinnati as Ground Zero for Bedbugs - Health News Story - WLWT Cincinnati (http://www.wlwt.com/health/24681758/detail.html#ixzz1SU2qDIeU - broken link)

Last edited by Yac; 07-19-2011 at 01:35 AM..

Old 07-18-2011, 04:21 PM

I'm fairly sure I posted a link to the state assessment report released earlier this year in the other thread.

Sorry, don't have the chance to dig it out -- maybe with this mention someone else will.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati