U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 05:37 PM

10,139 posts, read 22,424,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincybound2 View Post
Yikes!!! This is the sort of thing I was afraid I'd hear. My husband loves the idea of living in an area like Clifton, but I don't think he is prepared for this type of reality. There are some undesirable areas a few streets in all directions, and it's inevitable that things similar to what you describe will happen (not crazy, gun wielding men walking the streets every day, but certainly undesirable things of that sort).

Greendale is not one of the areas included when we describe "gaslight Clifton."

Not to worry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 06:16 PM

2,886 posts, read 3,952,895 times
Quote:
Yikes!!! This is the sort of thing I was afraid I'd hear. My husband loves the idea of living in an area like Clifton, but I don't think he is prepared for this type of reality. There are some undesirable areas a few streets in all directions, and it's inevitable that things similar to what you describe will happen (not crazy, gun wielding men walking the streets every day, but certainly undesirable things of that sort).
You really really have to look at the individual streets, even within the best of the Gaslight district. I only dimly realized at the time what heavy foot traffic Greendale gets from what is undeniably an undesirable neighborhood. Go a couple streets away onto one of the quiet cul-de-sacs off Clifton and I think it's a different story. Having observed a lot of Cincinnati's neighborhoods in the intervening years, you really don't want to get onto one of those footpaths, cut-throughs or whatever you want to call them. I now live all the way back into a subdivision which has only one way in and out, at the end of a cul-de-sac. Happy camper.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:50 PM

405 posts, read 753,922 times
Quote:
What can you tell me about the Clifton area? It seems to have some lovely older homes.
We loved Clifton when we were looking for places to live a few years ago. Instead of buying a house we rented to see what it was like. We rented a 3BR apt in the Gaslight district (Lorraine Ave). Here are the things (all happening in the space of a few months) that eventually made us leave in a relative hurry:

Our apartment building was burglarized twice. Once apparently in broad daylight when my wife was there alone. They were professionals. A man (owner of Ambar) was shot in the face sitting in his car outside his restaurant where we used to walk to the coffee shop all the time. An older Clifton resident (man) was robbed and pistol whipped outside the former nice restaurant (I forget the name--it closed) right where we used to walk in the business district. "Pass throughs" could be seen going through the neighborhood all night looking into cars, cars were constantly broken into for change or anything.

Finally one night when I returned from a business trip around 1 am a swat team showed up across the street with guns drawn, dogs, flashing lights etc. That was the last straw,we then moved to Hyde Park.

We concluded that we loved what we thought Clifton could be but thought the neighborhood was declining and house values going down. Also, we didn't feel safe walking outside at night anymore. Its just one family's experience, of course.

Last edited by wolden; 07-10-2011 at 11:54 PM.. Reason: error

Old 07-11-2011, 09:44 AM

149 posts, read 386,020 times
Clifton can by sketchy at times. Although I've never had any issues (I'm a big dude) I would imagine some people do. Remember, Clifton is right up the hill from Over the Rhine.

I live on W. McMillan, so a completely different neighborhood than the Gaslight District, but right down the street. I've witnessed "thugs" walking around yelling for no apparent reason, a few vagrant types, scraping for metal but nothing that I thought would be endangering to myself.

Well, just my thoughts on the situation.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:57 PM

8 posts, read 14,075 times
I've lived in Gaslight Clifton for 12 years, never been afraid, never encountered a problem. Greendale can be a problem street because it cuts down to a tough part of Vine St....it's a passthrough to Clifton. Other streets on the east side of Clifton Ave are cloistered dead-ends or circles (like Lafayette) and don't suffer the potential problems of Greendale. As to all the paranoia and citing of random crime data, a kid in Hyde Park beat his brother to death with a baseball bat a few years ago; heroin dealers have been arrested in Indian Hill. Cincinnati's a semi-big city; you just have to keep your eyes open anywhere. The cultural diversity of Clifton is as good as it gets here, and its proximity to other things of value in the city is exceptional. If you're able to stay for 3-4 days, there's a new Hampton Inn close to UC and 2 minutes by car from the Gaslight. Visit, walk around, talk to the residents, get a feel for it. You can't extrapolate reality from a few postings here.

Old 07-15-2011, 05:40 AM

2,886 posts, read 3,952,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avondale View Post
...and its proximity to other things of value in the city is exceptional. If you're able to stay for 3-4 days, there's a new Hampton Inn close to UC and 2 minutes by car from the Gaslight. Visit, walk around, talk to the residents, get a feel for it. You can't extrapolate reality from a few postings here.
Clifton's location within the greater Cincinnati area is one of the things that attracted my husband and me to it. I agree it's exceptional--that's actually not too strong a word. Also agree with your other point. The postings here can be a pretty good starting point, though, especially when several people chime in with the same read on a situation.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:51 AM

All the streets directly north of Ludlow are very quiet, with charming Queen Annes and Victorians. I hadn't been there in a while and forgot how nice it is. If I were to move to Clifton, this is the area I would choose. The best part is, you're only a couple minutes walk from everything on Ludlow.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:49 PM

318 posts, read 672,951 times
The geography of good and bad neighborhoods and how they change over time fascinates me. Many cities have large ghettoes in one or two areas and the rest of the city is decent or good. Cincinnati has, from what I've seen, a complex mix of good and bad all over the city. Including in one neighborhood like OTR. Does the character of a neighborhood change from one extreme to another in a block frequently here? Do many good neighborhoods get a lot of crime from passers by from the neighboring bad neighborhoods, or is this mostly limited to Clifton as has been described above? I've heard (and experienced) that criminals almost always commit crimes in their bad neighborhood even when there's a much nicer neighborhood 3 or so blocks away.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:06 PM

37 posts, read 115,720 times
The area down near Ludlow is a bit different and nicer, but do NOT live near the Ohio Avenue area. It's convenient to walk to the eateries, but the nightmare of traffic, derelicts, and old homes with termites, spiders, etc is simply not worth it.

Be advised that Uptown Rent's massive new apartment complex has unleashed a massive insect problem on the entire Ohio Avenue area. The construction uprooted hundreds of thousands of springtails, which poured into all of the apartment buildings. They brought house centipedes, spiders (including hobo spiders), ants, etc.

Again, parts of Clifton are okay down near Ludlow but I've had such a nasty taste left in my mouth that I'm moving to Hyde Park.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeamish View Post
The geography of good and bad neighborhoods and how they change over time fascinates me. Many cities have large ghettoes in one or two areas and the rest of the city is decent or good. Cincinnati has, from what I've seen, a complex mix of good and bad all over the city. Including in one neighborhood like OTR. Does the character of a neighborhood change from one extreme to another in a block frequently here? Do many good neighborhoods get a lot of crime from passers by from the neighboring bad neighborhoods, or is this mostly limited to Clifton as has been described above? I've heard (and experienced) that criminals almost always commit crimes in their bad neighborhood even when there's a much nicer neighborhood 3 or so blocks away.
I would say that there are neighborhoods in Cincinnati that have always been sketchy, and always will be. I think what you described in a city as a "complex mix of good and bad" is apparent in any city, or any city I've ever been to.

I believe the gentrification of OTR has possibly spread out some of the lower income families throughout the city, but then again, we are only talking about a couple thousand people.

Maybe the fact that our city is made up of a bunch of smaller towns has something to do with it, giving each former town its own little flavor.

CUF, in my opinion is all pretty much the same, with the exception of Fairview. Fairview actually has a few nice older type homes that you would expect to see in the Gaslight area.

I believe the reason the Clifton area is sometimes subject to crime is because we are very close to OTR, and it's a college town with young kids that are partying. Any place with a high concentration of younger kids, mixed with alcohol is usually not the best formula for a quaint neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati