U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 06:40 PM

42 posts, read 70,156 times

Advertisements

Ok, so as some of you are aware, i have been looking for a home for some time in the wyoming / HP / Mt Lookout areas without much luck.

On a whim I pulled up Indian hill today, and see several houses in my price range. Not exactly what I was looking for initially, as it is looks more suburbia, but at this time, i am starting to get hard pressed. I need to find and close on a house within the next 2 months.

So whats the deal with Indian Hill? How are their schools? I dont hear much talk on here about it. There are a couple of houses on Drake that look nice enough within my price range. Any info would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 08:58 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,358,349 times
Indian Hill Schools are very well regarded and rank high. Portions of the school district also encompass parts of Kenwood.

Also in Indian Hill is Cincinnati Country Day School, a K-12 private school which is quite exclusive. Some parents in Indian Hill prefer it due to smaller class sizes the tuition ($17,000-$21,000) and endowments can readily support.

The very large 200 acre sized estates have mostly been subdivided as the heirs could not afford to keep them intact, but Indian Hill in total must still be regarded as the premier residential neighborhood in Cincinnati. In its heyday the large estates were set up as gentleman farms, complete with large horse barns, riding trails, and the annual call to the hounds for the fox chase. There is a long-time effort to retain as much of a rural type genteel character as possible. They still call it the Village of Indian Hill, though by population it has city status. If you look at a map, the entire village is surrounded by a greenbelt to ward off encroachment of undesirables. Also of note is there are no businesses of any kind within the village, not a gas station nor a restaurant, doctors office, no nothing. You must go to the surrounding communities of Madeira, Montgomery, Milford, Mariemont, and Madisonville to avail yourself of any commercial business or even down a pint except at Camargo Country Club. I also have it on rather good authority that as the surrounding areas grew Indian Hill purposefully only upgraded their roads to a certain degree. There was no way they wanted such good roads they became desirable avenues for others to cut through the village. I find the rather windy two-lane roads to be part of the charm. But they can create havoic in the winter.

I am not up on the specific rates, but I would caution to evaluate the taxes on any property you consider in Indian Hill. Some say Indian Hill is full of snobs, but I doubt that. I rather believe many of the current residents bought nice homes on large lots in a beautiful surrounding. But it is the opposite of urban walkable, I can't think of any reason I would want to walk somewhere in Indian Hill except maybe for physical exercise.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:11 AM

10,139 posts, read 22,404,584 times
With no disrespect intended, I think that the OP is pulling our leg. With a budget of 300k, at some point increased to "less than 400K" the OP says he exhausted HP and Mt. Lookout where there are 127 listings under 400K.

We then went on a wild goose chase through Wyoming, of all places, made recommendations in Clifton and Amberely, and here we are in Indian Hill where there are two or three total munters in his price range in a community where 800K is really the entry level and we are talking about Country Day School.

OP, get a realtor. You need one. He or she will be worth every penny to you and to us.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:40 AM

Wilson, frankly if you have nothing constructive to say, butt out.

We have up'ed our budget to <450 and yeah we have exhausted most everything in HP/Mt L/Wyoming. We have put unsuccessful bids in on 5 places. One went for more than asking price. So yeah we are having a rough time finding a place. Not that its your business, but my family is cramped into a tiny apartment where the kids are miserable, we are miserable, and yeah we are getting quite desperate to get out.

While our focus has been and remains HP/MTL/Wyoming, we are running out of time and options, and are widening our scope. We have been eyeballing clifton as a possibility, but are frankly nervous about the school system. If our kids dont draw into the german school we are screwed. Amberly does not do it for us.

On a whim I pulled up Indian hill, because I hear it has good schools, and I know we are at the BOTTOM of the price range for the homes there, but there are 2 houses in the low 400's that could be acceptable. So I turn to this board to get some more perspective on the place. How would it be living there? Will the people look down on us as poor people in town because our house is not $1,000,000?

And yes I have a realtor. I use this site as a place to get more than one perspective. The purpose of forums are to chat and discuss issues. Frankly I wonder why do you bother to read or post if you find it a waste of time? maybe you would be happier doing something else?

I am sorry if my situation and questions dont fit into your box of what I should be asking. If you dont like my questions and find I am wasting your time, then............dont answer them.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:46 AM

10,139 posts, read 22,404,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bopfletch View Post
Wilson, frankly if you have nothing constructive to say, butt out.

We have up'ed our budget to <450 and yeah we have exhausted most everything in HP/Mt L/Wyoming. We have put unsuccessful bids in on 5 places. One went for more than asking price. So yeah we are having a rough time finding a place. Not that its your business, but my family is cramped into a tiny apartment where the kids are miserable, we are miserable, and yeah we are getting quite desperate to get out.

While our focus has been and remains HP/MTL/Wyoming, we are running out of time and options, and are widening our scope. We have been eyeballing clifton as a possibility, but are frankly nervous about the school system. If our kids dont draw into the german school we are screwed. Amberly does not do it for us.

On a whim I pulled up Indian hill, because I hear it has good schools, and I know we are at the BOTTOM of the price range for the homes there, but there are 2 houses in the low 400's that could be acceptable. So I turn to this board to get some more perspective on the place. How would it be living there? Will the people look down on us as poor people in town because our house is not $1,000,000?

And yes I have a realtor. I use this site as a place to get more than one perspective. The purpose of forums are to chat and discuss issues. Frankly I wonder why do you bother to read or post if you find it a waste of time? maybe you would be happier doing something else?

I am sorry if my situation and questions dont fit into your box of what I should be asking. If you dont like my questions and find I am wasting your time, then............dont answer them.
I have plenty constructive to say (note that I have 3138 positive rep comments) but sadly wasted it on your game. You are not looking for a house. You are looking for a conversation about a house. Its obvious. You can't find a house in HP when you budget is 300K but now you are interested in what are two tear down candidates in Indian Hill. You have to realize that I have probably responded to 50-100 house hunters here and a person who changes their budget by 50% and starts looking at garbage houses in a neighborhood where the average price is three times their budget is just not serious. Just sayin'.

Last edited by Wilson513; 07-10-2011 at 08:58 AM.. Reason: Be even nicer than my usual cheery self. :)

Old 07-10-2011, 11:08 AM

I'd ask you to refrain from posting on my questions then. You are not really helping me. Frankly I find the inference that I am not actually looking for a house obsurd. to imply that a persons wants and search parameters will not change over the course of the search reveals that you don't understand the house hunt process.

Telling me that those are treat down houses is useful info. I appreciate that, but wish it could come without the trolling for a fight

Old 07-10-2011, 11:11 AM

meant "tear down"

Old 07-10-2011, 01:14 PM

2,886 posts, read 3,949,834 times
A general comment, for what it's worth: my husband and I were in similarly unnerving circumstances when we bought the home we still absolutely love 11 years later: our other house had sold, time was running out, and we dreaded an interim move into an apartment. We didn't find this house until we'd completely scrapped the neighborhoods we were looking in, as well as the age and style of houses we were looking at. In retrospect, we'd fallen into some kind of mind game with ourselves about what we thought we SHOULD want. We didn't like anything we looked at because we hadn't been honest with ourselves about what we DID want. Our realtor seemed only mildly surprised at the outcome of our search. I have a feeling it wasn't the first time she'd seen this syndrome of behavior. Not saying your situation is similar, it would be silly for me to make such an assumption about someone I don't know. Just sharing my experience.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:24 PM

2,886 posts, read 3,949,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bopfletch View Post
I'd ask you to refrain from posting on my questions then. You are not really helping me. Frankly I find the inference that I am not actually looking for a house obsurd. to imply that a persons wants and search parameters will not change over the course of the search reveals that you don't understand the house hunt process.

Telling me that those are treat down houses is useful info. I appreciate that, but wish it could come without the trolling for a fight
I'm sure Wilson is much more conversant with everything having to do with Cincinnati's uber-wealthy than I am, but the houses listed for sale on Drake don't look like tear-downs to me. If I wanted to get my kids into that school district, and wasn't worried about an affluence gap, I might consider them. The issue that'd concern me is not so much my kids learning that real values are not dependent on how much money a family has, but whether I could afford to pay for the kinds of genuinely worthwhile activities their friends could. Safe bet that they'd be the poor kids in the school.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:23 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,358,349 times
I feel too much can be made of the plight of the kids relative to their peers. My wife attended Indian Hill for Junior and High School when her parents returned to Cincinnati after an extended stint in Chicago where she was born. Of course that was over 50 years ago. They were on the fringe so to speak as their home was 1 door from the Montgomery boundary. Fact is there are quite a number of homes in Indian Hill which are certainly not uber-wealthy. Nice homes for sure, but not able to indulge all of their kids desires. And don't forget Indian Hill School District extends to Camp Dennison on the East and portions of Kenwood on the North/West.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati