Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 08:50 PM

31 posts, read 49,190 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Cincy from Louisville, originally from Dayton, OH so I know the area a little but not enough to know exactly where I want/need to be. I am looking for a rental in Ohio and need to be inside 275, and or close to 71 or 75 - someplace where I can still make it to Lexington in under 2 hours as I do Field Service work and have a client there. Part of my dilemma is that I need to find a place by the end of the month, also I have a dog. I would like to stay under $900 a month, would like a 2 bedroom (flexible) and would prefer not to be in a large complex. Duplex or townhouse would be great, home would be even better. I've been scouring craigslist and it seems I can get more for my money in Deer Park than say Hyde Park or Oakley (both of which is where friends have directed me.) Where I currently live it is easier to find a place by driving around and looking for rental signs than checking craigslist, I guess because it is a popular area and the landlords would get bombarded with calls and emails. Are Hyde Park and Oakley similar to that?

. Where is you current location and environment? Highlands neighborhood Louisville
. Are you looking for similar in Cincinnati or a change?yes

. Where will your work location be?varies
. Maximum commute time desired?less than 2 hours to Lexington

. What is you budget for housing?$900
. Rent or buy?rent
. Type (Apt., Condo, Single Family)house, duplex, apt
. Size (Approx. Sq. Ft., # Bedrooms & Baths)2 bedroom
. Other specifics?dog

. Neighborhood environment?
. Mid-urban, close in neighborhood or suburb, stable investmenty
. Suburban, low maintenance, quiet streets, soccer mom atmospherey
. Very safe, low crime area?y
. Can tolerate some degree of crime potential? How Much?minimal
. Private neighborhood association, swimming & fitness facilitiesno

. Schools?
. Not applicable
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 09:58 PM

8 posts, read 14,604 times
Would you consider staying in Kentucky? Maybe Ft Thomas/Newport? It's by 471, but that would avoid going through the city on your trips to Lexington. Mt Washington on the Ohio side might be a good option next to 275, with a straight shot to 75 south. Fort Mitchel or Ludlow might be other Kentucky options.

I live near Oakley and Hyde Park, which I agree can be pricey. Nearby is less-pricey Norwood, but access to route 50 is more difficult, and that might be your preferred way to get downtown and across the river on 471 (though still quicker than Deer Park). I am not very familiar on Deer Park, so couldn't tell you. I'm personally not a huge fan of visiting the Kenwood Shopping Center (just east of Deer Park), but if you like having all your retail needs at your fingertips Deer Park could be good for that.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:39 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,829,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaeff23 View Post
Where I currently live it is easier to find a place by driving around and looking for rental signs than checking craigslist, I guess because it is a popular area and the landlords would get bombarded with calls and emails. Are Hyde Park and Oakley similar to that?
In a word - YES!!!

Deer Park handily meets all your criteria, as does neighboring Reading. Both are quintessential mid-century suburbs, though Reading also has a much older section that's traversed by the street bearing its name. As long as the aesthetics of the place where you hang your hat aren't a major consideration, you should find plenty of options within your price range. The apartment houses in that vicinity are anything but distinctive - by and large they're what I call "brick boxes," some from the 1920's to '50s and others which are a bit newer and come complete with "columns" at the front entrance as well as ornamental window shutters. From either community you have easy access to the Cross County Highway (OH 126), an expressway which does what its name implies and connects to 71 and 75 in the process. Neither have any local attractions that would appeal to the generic "young single professional" type, although there are restaurants and watering holes.
For "windshield tours" of potential rental properties in Deer Park, I recommend traveling along Galbraith and Plainfield Rd's. Reading Rd, and Jefferson + Columbia + Koehler Ave's, are good streets to tour in Reading. Adjacent to Deer Park to the east - sandwiched between the Jewish Hospital campus and the north end of the Kenwood mall sprawl - are a few quiet streets paralleling Galbraith, off Kenwood Rd, which are lined with a higher-end sort of brick boxes and have cutesy names like Happiness Way and Frolic. There's hardly any place better for not only shopping 'til you drop, but for seeking medical treatment after dropping.

By all means, don't rule out NKY, though.

Old 10-10-2014, 09:35 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,973,036 times
I assume the OP doesn't have kids so schools aren't important, and it sounds like his friends are in the Oakley / Hyde Park area. Given he'll be working a lot in Kenucky----I'd recommend Oakley, Clifton....and yes even Deer Park. As well as Mt. Lookout, Downtown, and maybe Northside up off I-75.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:57 AM

Thank you all. Some good info here. I am going to make a drive up tomorrow. Yes, I have no kids. I plan to check out the areas mentioned. Does anyone know of a town in louisville, Dayton, or columbus that would compare to Deer Park? I feel like I don't have a good grasp on it. I have spend a few nights in Hyde Park so I believe I understand that area. In regards to getting across the river, I assume the east side of town is better because of access to 471 as opposed to the west side basically only having the Brent Spence. Is my thinking correct here?

Old 10-12-2014, 07:39 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,159,743 times
OP, Deer Park is giving me a very strong vibe similar to Patterson Park in Dayton city limits or the area around Shroyer and Dorothy in Kettering.

Price points, housing styles, and schools (which look very comparable to Kettering IMO) all point to this.

Old 10-12-2014, 08:24 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,583,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaeff23 View Post
Thank you all. Some good info here. I am going to make a drive up tomorrow. Yes, I have no kids. I plan to check out the areas mentioned. Does anyone know of a town in louisville, Dayton, or columbus that would compare to Deer Park? I feel like I don't have a good grasp on it. I have spend a few nights in Hyde Park so I believe I understand that area. In regards to getting across the river, I assume the east side of town is better because of access to 471 as opposed to the west side basically only having the Brent Spence. Is my thinking correct here?
You can get to 471 pretty easily from the westside, it will just take an extra few minutes.

Old 10-13-2014, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
OP, Deer Park is giving me a very strong vibe similar to Patterson Park in Dayton city limits or the area around Shroyer and Dorothy in Kettering.

Price points, housing styles, and schools (which look very comparable to Kettering IMO) all point to this.
I agree with this. I actually grew up not too far from that area and driving around Deer Park reminded me of that area. Great comparison.

I filled out an app for a home in Deer Park but they decided to rent to an older couple, so back to the drawing board.

I really wanted the house but I think I have to accept that it's going to be an apartment hunt now. I liked Oakley and I though Mt Lookout was impressive. I have a few feelers out so hopefully I can find something soon.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:20 AM

89 posts, read 112,828 times
Louisville to Cincinnati transplant here. We lived in Germantown (off of Barret Ave) before moving to Cincinnati. We bounced around Cincinnati for quite a bit before settling in Cheviot on the west side. You are not going to find anyone on this board recommending the west side, but come check it out you might be surprised! Lots of great stuff going on over here right now and super affordable housing prices. I drive 74 to 75 to 471 quite a bit and it is not bad at all. I'm 15 minutes from downtown, which is a little further than we were in Germantown or from the Highlands.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:15 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,941,150 times
kimberleymarie - i and others here have a respect for your part of town. just yesterday as i took the backroads back from harrison, i was commenting about how much there is to like about the west side. we need more west-siders on the board. post more often!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati