Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 06:47 AM

65 posts, read 128,522 times

Advertisements

I have been wanting to move to Cincinnati for over a year now, but different things keep coming up that make me open my search back up again. We are originally from the South Bend, IN area and currently live in Lubbock, TX, but are wanting to move more north and be closer to family. My big question is, and I know it is probably a common question, but anyone with knowledge of both places are the winters worse or better in Cincinnati than in South Bend, IN up by Lake Michigan?

Any answers on this I would appreciate,
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 06:54 AM

901 posts, read 2,386,016 times
I'm not familiar with South Bend itself...ie. cultural amenities, cost of living, economy, etc.

But I will say there is absolutely NO comparison when it comes to winters. Cincinnati winters are much milder and far less snowy than South Bend. So depending on your definition of "better", hopefully that little tidbit of info will help you out.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:15 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,975,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanns6 View Post
I have been wanting to move to Cincinnati for over a year now, but different things keep coming up that make me open my search back up again. We are originally from the South Bend, IN area and currently live in Lubbock, TX, but are wanting to move more north and be closer to family. My big question is, and I know it is probably a common question, but anyone with knowledge of both places are the winters worse or better in Cincinnati than in South Bend, IN up by Lake Michigan?

Any answers on this I would appreciate,
Thank you
I'm familiar with South Bend's weather, having made many trips to the area at all times of year. Cincinnati typically only gets 2 or 3 snowfalls of 4-8 inches in a winter. Several more of an inch or 2. There's more sleet, freezing rain, and cold rain than in South Bend. The most important thing for you to know is that the hilly terrain here makes a big difference in the impact of weather that creates adverse driving conditions. And the patchwork of local government units means that some are better at clearing/salting the roads than others.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:27 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,460,769 times
You can see the data right here:

http://www.city-data.com/city/South-Bend-Indiana.html

http://www.city-data.com/city/Cincinnati-Ohio.html

There is a lot more snow in South Bend and the temperature is a little colder. But that does not tell the whole story. South Bend is quite flat and easier to get around in the snow and ice. And, the temperature is less variable making it a little easier to endure the winter months.

Study those graphs in the links provided and you will get the picture.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:28 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,939,098 times
the winters are just as gray but far less snowy.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:47 AM

Thank you, that is what I was hoping to hear. I don't mind winter, but did not want as severe of a winter. I figure you can look at all the statistics you want but I find it better to find out from the people themselves.

Old 07-14-2011, 05:00 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,788,546 times
Cincy does get less snow, but as commented the hilly terrain makes driving more of an adventure, particularly on ice. I am fortunate being retired and having no place I have to be so I can just sit tight and wait for the road crews to do their thing. Usually if it snows overnight by noon I can nagivate with no problem. If it snows heavy during the day I just return home beforehand and sit tight once again. If you have to report to a job on a rigid schedule it can be quite nerve wracking. This past winter some normally 45 minute commutes turned into over 2-1/2 hours.

I am surprised at the number of businesses who seeem to be so thick-headed they do not let their people leave early in obviously adverse weather. Most of the time it appears there is no one in charge who wants to be responsible.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:27 PM

What do you guys think about the St. Bernard or Norwood area?

Old 07-23-2011, 10:35 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,019,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanns6 View Post
What do you guys think about the St. Bernard or Norwood area?
Both St. Bernard and Norwood are largely blue-collar enclaves situated very near each other in virtually the center of the much larger city. Although each of these communities prospered decades ago because of their proximity to then large industrial complexes (St. Bernard/P&G; Norwood/GM), today they still exist on a more modest scale. Both communities offer inexpensive rental units and residential properties for families seeking urban living, both communities are considered safe, and both are served by major roads and bus routes to downtown and other major shopping.

There have been several recent commentaries on each locale (for example, goyguy's informative observations on St. Bernard) that might be helpful, but please allow me to add something about Norwood that I think makes it so attractive to those who love city life. First, its Surrey Square Kroger store is one of the biggest and busiest anywhere. But a Norwood resident can easily travel to the Oakley/Hyde Park shopping meccas only a few miles away, especially for gourmet food items. And by traveling north only a few miles, there's the Ridge Rd. shopping complex. And north of that is the fabulous Kenwood retail paradise. Need I say more? Norwood's centralized location is a tremendous advantage here. Lastly, don't underestimate how well served Norwood is by public transportation. The Metro #4 bus runs frequently not only on weekdays, but on Sat/Sun/holidays, and the Metro #51 is a popular crosstown bus that can take a resident to either Hyde Park or Clifton/UC. And don't overlook the fact that an amazingly transformed and enlarged XU campus now anchors Norwood to the SW. Location, location, location--Norwood!

Old 08-03-2011, 02:20 PM

Thank you, now everything just relies on trying to find work. I am hoping to apply and find a company willing to work with a phone interview and get me a job there so I can move immediately. Any suggestions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: