Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2011, 06:15 AM

42 posts, read 104,370 times

Advertisements

Im a transplant from the West (Utah/Colorado) and am very much into the outdoors specifically camping and getting on the water. I have found however that all camp sites out here are the drive in, park next to someone 15 ft. away from you and setup your tent type. Is this normal?

I am really looking for a place we could drive into (4X4) and have some privacy. Is this not allowed out this way?

Places ive been and found this same issue: Smokeys, OH, Red River Gorge, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 06:58 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,296,597 times
You will not get any privacy at a popular camping location where you can drive to your campsite. At Red River Gorge, you can camp anywhere you want as long as it is 300 ft off the road and 100 ft from a cliff. I recommend the Koomer Ridge trail for this, although you have to carry your gear about a mile and a half to get what I consider real privacy.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:07 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,939,098 times
there is plenty of back-country camping, but for the most part it is trail, backpacker based, not drive-in-with-a-4x4.

however, check with the state forests: shawnee, etc - look in the southeast part of the state. also check wayne national forest. it would have similar regs to the national forests you are accustomed too out west. my suspicion is that car-camping is very common in the woods of southern and southeast ohio, but as to if there is a website somewhere with more info, i have no idea.

by the way, welcome!

Old 07-12-2011, 07:31 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,460,769 times
I used to go to Dale Hollow which had no rules, but primitive campsites. Look up their web site and see what it is like now.

If you are really into off roading, then take a look at Black Mountain:

http://www.harlancountytrails.com/index.php

Old 07-12-2011, 09:38 AM

149 posts, read 439,200 times
I think this is what you're looking for.

Haspin Acres | Off-Road & Motocross Park in Laurel, Indiana

Old 07-12-2011, 11:14 AM

Thanks for the responses all!

Wilson513: Harlan County Trails is looking as close as I have gotten out here.. its still the "resevered spots" but it is remote enough and so few spots it will give me close to what I am looking for. Gonna check this out within the next few weeks!! Thank you!

Old 07-12-2011, 11:24 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,460,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGreekDude View Post
I think this is what you're looking for.

Haspin Acres | Off-Road & Motocross Park in Laurel, Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty_420 View Post
Thanks for the responses all!

Wilson513: Harlan County Trails is looking as close as I have gotten out here.. its still the "resevered spots" but it is remote enough and so few spots it will give me close to what I am looking for. Gonna check this out within the next few weeks!! Thank you!

If you want to go to Haspin Acres just let me know. I've been over every square inch of their 900 Acres and probably have 1000 photos of my off road rigs there. Camping is done there, but it is mostly the "10 guys and 14 cases of beer and a big bonfire" type of camping. Pretty wild crowd on the weekends camping and you have to watch your stuff every minute. But it is a wild time. And, Haspin has every obstacle that you would find out west except for boulders.

I posted Black Mountain because it is highly scenic and very isolated. You won't get much sleep at Haspin, that's for sure.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:39 PM

I am looking primarily for scenic, isolated, camping with 4x4 access. Which Black Mountain appears to deliver all. The only thing I dont like is the designated camping spots. Im used to just driving in somewhere and finding a good spot. Kingdom Come although designated has only a few spots which is nice... we shouldnt have a problem taking them all for the weekend leaving us fairly isolated. I will report back and let you know how it turns out... Thanks again.

Old 07-14-2011, 05:41 PM

149 posts, read 439,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
If you want to go to Haspin Acres just let me know. I've been over every square inch of their 900 Acres and probably have 1000 photos of my off road rigs there. Camping is done there, but it is mostly the "10 guys and 14 cases of beer and a big bonfire" type of camping. Pretty wild crowd on the weekends camping and you have to watch your stuff every minute. But it is a wild time. And, Haspin has every obstacle that you would find out west except for boulders.

I posted Black Mountain because it is highly scenic and very isolated. You won't get much sleep at Haspin, that's for sure.
I lived out that way for a few years, and yes you are right, drunken all nighters are very common. Everybody I knew with a four-wheel drive went there on a regular basis, and there was ALWAYS alcohol involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati