U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2011, 07:47 AM

6 posts, read 13,796 times

Advertisements

Hey all-

I've been on the house hunt for a while, as I am moving to Cincy in September to go to grad school. I've been scouring Craigslist for 2 bedroom rentals either in Ludlow/Gaslight area, Hyde Park, Oakley, Mt. Adams, Walnut Hills etc. The best listings I find on Craigslist point me to a website called RentInCincinnati.com When I explore the website I see all kinds of appealing rentals, but you have to register and pay to view their full catalog of listings. Has anyone used this website before? It looks cheap and crappy, so I am a bit wary that it is a scam. Anyone have any insight? Craigslist hasn't really been turning up many gems, as far as finding the things I want in a place to live.

Thanks,
Ryan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 08:00 AM

10,139 posts, read 22,409,188 times
Hyde Park is best searched by driving around and calling the numbers. Start with Madison Road and go east from Grandin to Oakley Square. Then double back and take Observatory to Linwood and go east to Beechmont Levee. Then double back and look at Delta north and south of Linwood.

That will give you 50 phone numbers of units in nice areas to work with. As time permits go back and forth on the side streets off of the foregoing.

PS: Can I say this without offending anyone? Craigslist is not the best place to find good tenants for Hyde Park. Sign in front of the house or building gets the best quality tenants (other than corporate relocation services of course).

Old 07-23-2011, 03:18 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,360,925 times
Wilson... Why do you say signs in front of the building is the best for quality tenants? Is it simply due to the fact people spending time looking in a specific area are more likely to be reliable or what?

My niece has a very nice condo in Deerfield Township. She recently got married and she and husband are living in Indianapolis. As you probably know condo sales have been in the dumpster for some time. She finally found someone to lease the condo. Due to a recent water leak which turned out to be in another unit, and request for access she has determined the tenant is trashing the place. We are talking some significant damage here. Since the lease is being paid, what recourses if any does an owner have?

Old 07-23-2011, 03:57 PM

10,139 posts, read 22,409,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Wilson... Why do you say signs in front of the building is the best for quality tenants? Is it simply due to the fact people spending time looking in a specific area are more likely to be reliable or what?

Its just the way it has always been. I don't want to sound snooty, but if a person is walking around in an area like Ashworth/Traskwood which we were discussing elsewhere, they probably belong there, have friends there, know the neighborhood, etc. In the rental game, it is not about renting an apartment, it is about renting it to someone who will stay for a long time, not be a problem and leave it in good condition.

Owners who live on the premises want locals from the neighborhood. There may be a racial component in it, at least historically, but that is not at all the whole story. When I rented the two family I owned on Michigan, I made the mistake of a Craigslist ad and three out of four calls began with "do you take section 8?"

Old 07-24-2011, 12:32 AM

405 posts, read 753,674 times
Quote:
Due to a recent water leak which turned out to be in another unit, and request for access she has determined the tenant is trashing the place. We are talking some significant damage here. Since the lease is being paid, what recourses if any does an owner have?
I would think everything would depend on the terms of the lease. Hopefully it was a professional lease vetted by attornies etc. The ones I have signed in the past have several specific provisions about damages and paying for them if caused by the tenant.

Of course then there is the problem of enforcing those terms...the nightmare of owners renting their properties...

Old 07-24-2011, 07:57 AM

4,730 posts, read 10,931,493 times
Default This thread will now be placed back on track

This is one of those "once in a blue moon" times when wilson and I agree on something. craigslist would be my resource of last resort where rental housing is concerned. Whenever I've browsed the listings there, whether in my original or adopted home cities, what turns up is usually "meh" at best. A lot of what's offered on CL in Cincinnati is cheaply outfitted units in complexes that are past their prime and were nothing to write home about when they were in their prime. In other words, they're crying for some sucker to move in. Many of the ads blare out the fact that "vouchers" (code for Section 8) are gladly accepted. The buildings are typically within largely "good" neighborhoods but on "bad" streets therein (McHenry in Westwood, for example.) You do stumble on some gems occasionally. But, of course, so do many other people - those ads disappear quickly.
Landlords of "desirable" properties know it, and are well aware that all they need to do is plant a sign on the front lawn or in the living-room window of the available apartment. If by chance word of mouth from the departing tenant or neighbors doesn't do the trick, somebody walking or driving by will see the sign and make the call. There's fairly high turnover in the uber-nice Mt Lookout and Hyde Park communities simply because many students and young career people soon outgrow the space, get married, or change cities. Less than an hour spent traveling Edwards Rd south from I-71, thence onto Observatory and then Linwood into Mt Lookout Square, will probably yield over a dozen for-rent signs. Forays onto intersecting and parallel streets will turn up still more. The same holds true throughout Clifton, and at no time more than the present when there's the typical cycling of students. Few if any of the buildings with signs in front will ever appear on CL. An afternoon of "windshield inspections" goes a long way.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:59 PM

171 posts, read 295,018 times
Quote:
Due to a recent water leak which turned out to be in another unit, and request for access she has determined the tenant is trashing the place. We are talking some significant damage here. Since the lease is being paid, what recourses if any does an owner have?
Did they get landlord insurance? When we rented our last house we talked to our insurance agent and took out a Landlord policy, which covered any damage after a $1000 deductible. Only cost us about $900/yr on a $350k house. Made us feel so much more comfortable prior to renting since you never know what they are doing in the house.

If they don't have a landlord policy, I would just have a lawyer review the lease and take legal action if necessary. If it's just garbage/minor stuff, I would just go check on the house more often and deal with it until the lease is done.

fyi...we actually rented it out through Craigslist and we got a great tenant, just did the background & credit checks ourselves when she applied and had no issues.

Old 07-30-2011, 01:28 PM

2 posts, read 4,097 times
Stay away from sites like RentInCincinnati. They own heaps of properties and I've heard nothing but bad things about them. Keep hunting CL and I would also suggest taking Wilson's advice as far as driving and getting numbers. It's a little more time consuming to call about each one so when you start calling just make sure you have a list together of everything you want.

I found a great place on CL so don't give up!

Old 08-05-2011, 12:03 PM

6 posts, read 13,796 times
I appreciate all of the replies.. However, I've still had VERY little luck. I have made two trips from Nashville to Cincy to apartment hunt. I have looked at around 14 properties. Of those 14, 10 were found via Craigslist. Of the 14, ALL but two of them were complete DUMPS. The problem I'm running in to is that the properties look appealing from the outside, but once inside they are run down. It seems that most of the homes in Cincy are 1940's era or older. That can be a really cool thing-- You can get a unique house with character. However, if they haven't been well maintained, the inside is a **** hole. Unfortunately the two places I put applications on were rented to other applicants.

I did do some For Rent sign scouring both times I was in town. I'd go down side streets in Oakley, Hyde Park and Mt. Lookout. When I found one I'd park, call the number and leave a message. Of those I maybe got 1 call back, and it was out of my price range. But honestly, I didn't find any rent signs on the streets that I hoped I would. One thing that tripped me out was how quickly nice areas turn ugly and vice versa. One block I'd be in a really nice looking neighborhood, and 300 yards later I was in a crap area again. Its really quite difficult house hunting from a remote location. :/ I got in touch with a real estate agency today, perhaps they will be able to help.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:45 PM

34 posts, read 63,790 times
To the OP, I do a lot of business with rentals, as I'm an agent. If you're not represented by an agent yet, view my profile and contact me through there. I know of a few two bedrooms in the Oakley and Hyde Park areas that might be appealing to you. My service is free to you, just thought you should know. Hope I can help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or