U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 06:16 PM

42 posts, read 70,178 times

Advertisements

Ok, so had the inspection on what was supposed to be our new house and this place has rodents in the attic, and termites in the garage, trees and starting in the basement (no bears, just through that it).

let me start off with stating i have an irrational fear of rodents. I scream like a little girl when i see a mouse. I cant explain it. I just scared of mice. leave it alone.

The realtor is telling me that its really not a big deal, that many many people have termites here, and that you just trap and bait rodents. I think she is nuts, but am willing to seek other opinions.

So would these things keep you from buying a house? Do many folks really have termites? I am from NY, where termites are not the norm. Are they really normal here????

And as for rodents I have had mice in my house plenty of times. Usually in the kitchen or basement, never in the attic. Thoughts????

On a side note, it really pisses me off that these people knew they had termites and did not disclose it. There are tubes hanging in the garage and termite rot in obvious places they HAD to see.... just shows those disclosures not worth the paper they are printed on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 06:38 PM

10,139 posts, read 22,424,007 times
Are you down on the valley floor or did you buy up on the hill? This is important because the elevation at Oak and Wyoming is just a few feet above the water level of the Mill Creek and termites are expected in damp substrate. I don't know much about that hillside but it is probably pretty dry up there and one would not expect the termites to be a serious problem. Annual treatments usually control termites without a problem.

Old 07-16-2011, 06:52 PM

42 posts, read 70,178 times
this is in the village a block east of springfield pike, IDK if that is the valley or not.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:56 PM

It is in the valley, not much above the Mill Creek. Low areas like Houston, New Orleans and every river valley are prime ground for termites and regular treatments control these pests. It should not be a problem once the repair work is done and the ground treated.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:04 PM

3,335 posts, read 5,729,880 times
okay so the thing about realtors. they downplay things because their best interest is to get a transaction. so you have to trust yourself and if you are feeling unsure, talk to an unbiased inspector. pay for an inspection and don't ask your realtor for a recommendation for an inspector, find one yourself. do not go to the realtor with questions like "is it a big deal." because of course 9 out of 10 realtors will say, no, of course it isn't.

despite all that, i don't have a problem with realtors at all, but just know what their role is.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:16 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,367,556 times
Discovered termites in my first house here over 40 years ago. A large bay window had floor joists close to ground level which is where they entered. Had the entire foundation perimeter treated. Last time I drove by the bay window and rest of the house appeared just like when I sold it.

Naturally I would want any termite damage repaired and the home thoroughly treated prior to or as part of any purchase. If an agreement can be reached on this I would not be overly concerned as reasonably regular treatments can prevent a recurrence.

Rodents in the attic seem a little strange unless the larger variety like squirrels. Broken screening behind attic gable or soffit vents is their normal means of entry.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:47 PM

31,193 posts, read 57,331,348 times
Have the seller treat the house for termites. You'll pay an annual maintenance fee and be covered for any subsequent infestations.

Did the inspector give you any clue on how the rodents are getting into the attic? However they're getting in, that needs to be repaired. Have they caused any damage? That should be repaired, too.

Don't jump on the sellers for not knowing what a mud tube is. Some people just don't know what termite damage looks like.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:55 PM

405 posts, read 753,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bopfletch View Post
Ok, so had the inspection on what was supposed to be our new house and this place has rodents in the attic,
Not sure what you mean by "rodents". If it is just mice, yes, mice are everywhere. They prefer to live indoors especially in winter. You can get rid of them with a little persistence.

Our cat has caught at least one mouse in every house he's lived in (now five residences) varying from 20 year old contemporary or 110 year old house (Pittsbugh) to 25 year old house, 100 year old house, or 80 year old tudor (here).

The only problem is, he is well fed. So, he just brings the mice to me and expects me to play with them, with him. Probably not what you would want!!

Last edited by wolden; 07-16-2011 at 10:55 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-17-2011, 05:37 AM

Every house needs a good mouser.

Old 07-17-2011, 05:45 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,367,556 times
wolden... We have one of those cats too. Just brings the mouse to us and drops it alive, then looks dumbfounded it doesn't want to play. Drives my wife crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati