U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 03:29 PM

2,886 posts, read 3,957,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
We live up here in the wilds of Southern Montgomery Co. and our home backs up to a nature preserve. We have deer or an occasional possum stroll through the yard.

Leaving the house for work at 10 p.m. one night, I had just turned onto the main road from our subdivision. I encountered three deer. The first two grazed the front of my pickup truck. The last one slammed square into my driver's side door. Fortunately, he didn't break through the window. But he did have a "paned' look on his face...

Our cat, Lord Byron, oversees his domain solely from the comfort of the house.
Lord Byron...haha, I like that! Glad you didn't have more damage than you did from the deer. Sometimes we encounter actual herds of 6 or 7 of them on the streets in our neighborhood. Something startled a bunch of them one day and they stampeded, almost running down an elderly neighbor who was out for her daily walk. Like the Wild West.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 04:22 PM

405 posts, read 754,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
Lord Byron...haha, I like that! Glad you didn't have more damage than you did from the deer. Sometimes we encounter actual herds of 6 or 7 of them on the streets in our neighborhood. Something startled a bunch of them one day and they stampeded, almost running down an elderly neighbor who was out for her daily walk. Like the Wild West.
Our general rule: if you see one deer, slow down fast. There are almost always more.

A motorcyclist right near here was critically injured this am when he hit a deer. This is one of the most dangerous hazards of motorcyles, seldmo discussed. Hitting one with a car is one thing...

Old 07-27-2011, 01:09 PM

6,351 posts, read 18,900,730 times
Good advice, Wolden!

Sarah Perry: We see deer occasionally at night but not as often as we iused to. Don't know if it's just the weather. Or we're just not up when they come around.

Wife's an English Lit fan, hence the name "Lord Byron"!

Old 07-30-2011, 09:04 PM

288 posts, read 235,417 times
Since I have a wooded area in my back yard which is apart of Winton Woods. We have Raccoons (a major problem since they get into the trash), Deers, and rabbits. Every blue moon you will see a wild turkey and I have only seen one skunk one day in my yard..

Old 07-31-2011, 04:58 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,381,264 times
Raccoons are extremely adaptable animals. In my neighborhood they live in the storm sewers along the streets. I guess they are smart enough to know when to exit so as not to drown during a storm. It is interesting to observe them at the right time of day scurrying in and out of the storm drains. They are difficult to observe in true action.

Speaking of water, I have a storage building on the back of my lot. It is on a low spot which becomes literally a pond in the spring. Underneath it is a groundhog in residence. Somehow he is able to avoid the consequences of his whole burrow being filled with water. Every time I think he has met his demise he shows up again. A next door neighbor says her two Springer Spaniels keep showing up with young dead groundhogs as presents so I guess they are holding down the population. I know they are varmints, but he is kind of cute. In the fall he sits under my apple trees on his hind quarters and just gorges himself.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:55 AM

10,139 posts, read 22,446,164 times
Quote:
I know you're the attorney and I'm not, but are you relocating those raccoons under some exception to the statement quoted below? Hubby and I wanted to trap them, too, but several years ago the SPCA told us this same thing.

"Nuisance or sick raccoons may be trapped without a permit, but it is illegal to live trap and relocate them to a new area. In order to prevent the possible spread of raccoon diseases in Ohio, all live trapped raccoons must be released again on the homeowner's property or humanely euthanized. Consult your district wildlife office for further information."

Nuisance Species: How to deal with them

Well, that is a regulation promulgated by the ODNR which like most bureaucratic statist organizations exceeds its statutory authority whenever it feels like it, but always seem to screw things up with their unintended consequences.

Old 07-31-2011, 02:20 PM

2,886 posts, read 3,957,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Well, that is a regulation promulgated by the ODNR which like most bureaucratic statist organizations exceeds its statutory authority whenever it feels like it, but always seem to screw things up with their unintended consequences.
So you agree that notwithstanding some kind of constitutional challenge, which I personally don't have the time or interest for, it's illegal to dump those coons you trap in your yard onto Hyde Park Country Club's property. Thanks for clearing that up. Watch out for the free Internet legal advice, folks!

Old 07-31-2011, 04:59 PM

10,139 posts, read 22,446,164 times
Quote:
So you agree that notwithstanding some kind of constitutional challenge, which I personally don't have the time or interest for, it's illegal to dump those coons you trap in your yard onto Hyde Park Country Club's property. Thanks for clearing that up. Watch out for the free Internet legal advice, folks!

Its not a constitutional challenge. the ODNR Director is authorized under the statute to issue regulation to implement the statute. The statute doesn't say anything about finding a raccoon a safe home where he won't get shot in the head for his misdeeds. It says that people won't abuse animals. At least that what I think it says. So you can let some sniveling bureaucrat push you around if you want to, but its not in my nature.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:40 PM

405 posts, read 754,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post

Speaking of water, I have a storage building on the back of my lot. It is on a low spot which becomes literally a pond in the spring. Underneath it is a groundhog in residence. Somehow he is able to avoid the consequences of his whole burrow being filled with water. Every time I think he has met his demise he shows up again. A next door neighbor says her two Springer Spaniels keep showing up with young dead groundhogs as presents so I guess they are holding down the population. I know they are varmints, but he is kind of cute. In the fall he sits under my apple trees on his hind quarters and just gorges himself.
Personally I dont see what people have against groundhogs. I agree they are darn cute. In our former city they used to come up on our porch and eat all the potted plants. We didn't mind. It was rewarding to see them go from skinny and hungry after winter, to fat and happy by end of summer. But, I guess that eating thing is what people hate

Old 07-31-2011, 10:27 PM

7,704 posts, read 5,427,930 times
We live in a populated area of Fairfield. I have photos of 5 deer in our yard (2, a doe and a fawn, are white with tan spots and a 10 pt buck) We have also had fox, coyote, raccoon, groundhogs, possums and our least favorite a family of skunks that move between several of our yards

We are on a 1/3 acre lot with a fenced in yard
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or