U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 05:19 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,392,180 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who has two good-sized pole barns on his property in Liberty Township. The pole barns have dirt floors. In one he stables horses and the other is for equipment and a workshop. For the workshop area he put in a deck style floor to keep things more organized. He hates groundhogs because he says they burrow up through the floors in his barns, creating holes which can injure the horses and generally causing a mess. He sits out on his back porch with a 22 in the early morning and at dusk when the groundhogs are the most active. He is quite proficient at picking off groundhogs, poor things. Before some of you react about discharging firearms in a residential neighborhood, he sits on 25 acres and can still legally hunt during season.

I have a dislike for the damage which can be caused by the ordinary chipmunk as they burrow under patios, sidewalks and porches, etc. But they are also so cute I an not bring myself to actively attack them.

Years ago, when the children were young, my wife went to a farm implement place and bought a very large used tractor tire. It made a dandy sandbox for the kids, ready made and without any sharp corners for them to get injured on. When the kids passed the sandbox age, I still had it filled with sand and planted ground cover phlox in it. The phlox spills over the side, completely encases the tire, and creates a kind of furry mound. I put a bird bath in the center. It became the centerpiece of a circular flowerbed I still maintain. The chipmunks absolutely love it, maybe since the sand is so easy to burrow in.

I recognize the suburban sprawl has disrupted the life pattern of many wildlife species. To see how they can adapt and actually thrive under the conditions is a lesson we humans could benefit from. Quit bellyaching and do what is necessary to survive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 06:34 AM

10,139 posts, read 22,465,907 times
Shooting groundhogs is one of the few last remaining legal hunting of pests and it is a whole industry out west. The rifles and scopes have gotten so sophisticated that hitting these little pests at 300 yards is the norm (folks, that's a long distance when you are talking about a target the size of a 40 oz bottle). There are endless videos on the subject.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:59 PM

13,730 posts, read 22,893,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Shooting groundhogs is one of the few last remaining legal hunting of pests and it is a whole industry out west. The rifles and scopes have gotten so sophisticated that hitting these little pests at 300 yards is the norm (folks, that's a long distance when you are talking about a target the size of a 40 oz bottle). There are endless videos on the subject.

Add in feral hogs.

Most states are adopting a "shoot to kill" approach due to all the damage they cause.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:09 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,226,496 times
A few years ago we had a groundhog tunneling around our foundation here outside Lebanon. It was burrowing around a central air unit, making the compressor tilt. I trapped the ground hog with a cat sized Havaheart trap. Chunks of apples attracted it into the cage. I drove it out to a park along the Little Miami, and dumped it near the woods. I probably broke all kinds of game laws but that little !@^* was driving me NUTS.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:27 PM

171 posts, read 295,561 times
Found out today that you are not supposed to move them. I had an exterminator out today about a possum in my backyard and I was greatly surprised to find out that it is illegal to relocate wild animals, they must be enthunized (except bats). You are not allowed to kill bats as they are protected. He said that you can get a $1500 fine for moving animals as a non licensed person. If the exterminator moves them, they would cease his traps and fine him as well.

Next time, just call animal control and they will "take care of it".

Old 08-02-2011, 09:56 PM

405 posts, read 754,876 times
Interesting. However, why did you want to get rid of the possum? I've never had any problems with possums. They are a little spooky but never did anything that I knew of.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:58 PM

I've heard the $1500 fine cited too.

I didn't have the heart to kill him. Even though he wasn't very pleasant and I wanted to kick his fat little azz.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:34 AM

2,886 posts, read 3,960,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58 View Post
I've heard the $1500 fine cited too.

I didn't have the heart to kill him. Even though he wasn't very pleasant and I wanted to kick his fat little azz.
I really think our little group offers a solution to these wildlife quandries. Since Wilson thinks the regulations about relocating wildlife are overreaching, silly, and meant to be ignored--and that the people who think they apply to them are spineless wimps--just message him for his address, take your trapped nuisance wildlife over, and dump them in this yard. He'll then move them on over to the conveniently located country club property. Problems solved.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:53 AM

171 posts, read 295,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
I really think our little group offers a solution to these wildlife quandries. Since Wilson thinks the regulations about relocating wildlife are overreaching, silly, and meant to be ignored--and that the people who think they apply to them are spineless wimps--just message him for his address, take your trapped nuisance wildlife over, and dump them in this yard. He'll then move them on over to the conveniently located country club property. Problems solved.
Hilarious

We decided not to trap the possum at this time. We are pretty sure he/she lives under our deck. If the possum starts to come up next to the house, we will trap it since we have little kids and if they get cornered we are told they can attack and I definitely don't want my kids getting scratched/bit by a wild animal...

We have so many huge trees and established landscape here that we have animals everywhere. Never thought I would see more wild animals in Wyoming than in Lebanon.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen35 View Post
We have so many huge trees and established landscape here that we have animals everywhere. Never thought I would see more wild animals in Wyoming than in Lebanon.
I live near Lebanon and oddly, I can back that up fully. We live in Turtlecreek Twp in a very small development. I have never seen a raccoon, a possum, or a skunk around here. I once saw a deer about 1/2 mile away ... once. My wife claims to have seen an albino skunk a couple of weeks ago early in the morning wandering around the neighborhood. Aside from the stupid groundhog that wound up here, there's very little wildlife here.

The outer-ring suburbs close to town have a lot more wildlife than we do out here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or