U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 01:38 PM

10,139 posts, read 22,461,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polishgirl View Post
1. 'Takes me ~25min. in traffic (AM) to get from 32 & 8Mile Rd. thru Newtown, to Columbia Pkwy. 50...to arrive at busy crisscross intersection of Taft and Col. Pkwy.!
You did notice, I hope, that she is working at WHTC at Center Hill and North Bend Rd, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 06:41 PM

5,324 posts, read 6,630,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polishgirl View Post
1. 'Takes me ~25min. in traffic (AM) to get from 32 & 8Mile Rd. thru Newtown, to Columbia Pkwy. 50...to arrive at busy crisscross intersection of Taft and Col. Pkwy.
2. MerciPlex; there is also an older "Y" on Clough Rd. in Anderson, near 8mile road.
3. Anderson doesn't have these!! I spend most my time in Hyde Park, Oakley, and Mt. Lookout for eateries. Shopping @ Rookwood Ctr., and Kenwood Malls. 'Avoid Eastgate Mall....unfortunately, outdated and forgotten.
4. Re youth sports--->I see Soccer leagues playing on the large open fields when departing from Newtown towards Columbia Pkwy. I have seen baseball leagues playing @ Julif's park on Clough Rd. Finally, there are soccer fields in Newtown off Roundbottom Rd.
'hope this helps!!

How is Eastgate mall outdated?

Old 08-13-2011, 01:21 PM

10 posts, read 21,559 times
Update : We are back from our house-hunting trip. We saw homes in Anderson, Blue Ash, Montgomery and Loveland.

While Anderson seems like a great area, we had a hard time loving the windy, curvy roads with dense woods. I felt like I was driving in a corn maze. We looked around Coldstream and Ivy Hills, mostly.

We loved Blue Ash (proximity to work, mostly) but there were a total of 3 homes in our price range and we felt like all 3 needed to be gutted and started over, which we aren't looking for.

We ended up choosing a home in Loveland, on the Hamilton County side and are very happy! Loved the proximity to Montgomery, downtown Loveland and the Bike Path.

Old 08-13-2011, 01:32 PM

2,886 posts, read 3,960,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryelizabeth78 View Post
Update : We are back from our house-hunting trip. We saw homes in Anderson, Blue Ash, Montgomery and Loveland.

While Anderson seems like a great area, we had a hard time loving the windy, curvy roads with dense woods. I felt like I was driving in a corn maze. We looked around Coldstream and Ivy Hills, mostly.

We loved Blue Ash (proximity to work, mostly) but there were a total of 3 homes in our price range and we felt like all 3 needed to be gutted and started over, which we aren't looking for.

We ended up choosing a home in Loveland, on the Hamilton County side and are very happy! Loved the proximity to Montgomery, downtown Loveland and the Bike Path.
Congratulations on your successful search. Sounds like you found what you were looking for!

Old 08-14-2011, 03:21 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,389,317 times
Quote:

A little surprised at your evaluation of Coldstream and Ivy Hills, in that the curvy roads and not seeing the same house coming at you from every direction is to me part of its charm.

But be that as it may, your choice of a home in Loveland should work out well. Don't know whether the commute to work will be I-275 or Ronald Reagan/Cross County but either should work.

I am curious on one aspect. Your original post said you previously lived in Mason. Loveland and Mason are not that far apart. Why did your current search exclude Mason, or for that matter West Chester? For a job in Winton Hills I do no see a significant difference in commute time.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
A little surprised at your evaluation of Coldstream and Ivy Hills, in that the curvy roads and not seeing the same house coming at you from every direction is to me part of its charm.

But be that as it may, your choice of a home in Loveland should work out well. Don't know whether the commute to work will be I-275 or Ronald Reagan/Cross County but either should work.

I am curious on one aspect. Your original post said you previously lived in Mason. Loveland and Mason are not that far apart. Why did your current search exclude Mason, or for that matter West Chester? For a job in Winton Hills I do no see a significant difference in commute time.
You are right about the commute time similarity. We drove from the home we chose to WH and averaged about 30 minutes. We also looked out in Miami Twp and the commutes were about 10 min longer.

We were not big fans of the ginormous schools in Mason and wanted a more "hometown" feel. Also, we didn't want to be in a cookie-cutter neighborhood, which is what 95% of Mason is.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:44 AM

10,139 posts, read 22,461,010 times
Quote:
You are right about the commute time similarity. We drove from the home we chose to WH and averaged about 30 minutes. We also looked out in Miami Twp and the commutes were about 10 min longer.

We were not big fans of the ginormous schools in Mason and wanted a more "hometown" feel. Also, we didn't want to be in a cookie-cutter neighborhood, which is what 95% of Mason is.

Your husband has my deepest sympathies. A 30 minute "average" commute in the middle of summer when school is out, the weather is good and people are on vacation portends a horrible future. I should have focused on this a little more instead of concentrating on Anderson (see above). If you are averaging 30 minutes now, you had better get a TV and some video games installed in your husband's car. In December, on a snowy Friday night, just tell him to sleep in the car.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:45 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,389,317 times
Quote:

I understand your dislike of the largeness of the Mason schools, they have become very big. Since I graduated form a HS with a senior class size same as the year 57 in 1957 I am in favor of smaller chools. I never felt deprived and realized in college I could walk with anyone there, maybe better as my teachers honestly had an interest in me.

As to the cookie-cutter aspect, most newer developments tend to follow what is working/selling. I will admit Loveland is less duplicate appearing since portions were developed over a longer period of time. But far as a plan, like most residential suburbs they never had one. It is called when the developers come and apply for annexation to build a subdivision we welcome them as it makes our city larger and our jobs more secure.

When I look at a map, Loveland appears to still have a good amount of developable land, which could grow its schools, etc. like Mason's. But in this economy it is not likely to happen soon.

According to the 2010 census the population of Loveland is 29,693 and Mason 30,172. So unless those people in Loveland procreate a whole lot less, why should the schools be much different in size? Loveland may have spread the elementaries out more, but when it comes to HS what gives? I have not heard of a Loveland East and West or any other division. Does the city of Loveland boundaries span multiple school districts like multiple counties?

Congraduations on your new house in Loveland. Being split across three counties never seemed desirable to me, but that is the way it is. Welcome back to the area and wish you the best.

Old 08-14-2011, 02:17 PM

From what I have learned, school district lines don't necessarily follow city boundaries.

Mason school district also pulls students from Deerfield Township which has nearly the same population as Mason (around 25k, I think). Some Mason and Deerfield addresses go to Kings schools. Loveland school district also pulls kids from Miami Township and Symmes Twp, but not all kids who live in Miami Twp and Symmes go to Loveland schools. Some of the areas of those two townships
go to Sycamore and Milford schools and possibly Little Miami. Confusing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati