Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 04:15 PM

405 posts, read 891,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by briggsy4 View Post
I don't think I'm going to find a 2K SF house in Hyde Park for under 260K. Am I misunderstanding that neighborhood? I thought Oakley or Pleasant Ridge might fit the bill. What are your thoughts on those neighborhoods?
You have a shot in what is called east Hyde Park, around Erie and heading over to Oakley. It is a reasonably diverse place. There are lots of houses around 200k. But, you have Cincinnati Public Schools, which many people think are not so hot.

Personally I would pick east Hyde Park over Oakley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 08:04 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,797,022 times
You mentioned early on decent public schools are desired. From everything I have read herein, Pleasant Ridge and their new schools, particularly elementary, seem to fit the bill if HP is too expensive.

Personally I would flee to the outer suburbs where you can certainly find good schools and a 2K SF house in your price range. Trade-in your walkability for a great community center the whole family can enjoy. As far as diversity, others have commented Cincinnati does not really have much of that, even within diverse neighborhoods indiividual streets are typically not by a 90/10 or so ratio one way or the other.

With regard to interracial families, I believe the acceptance level has changed dramatically during my lifetime. I observe several in my neighborhood and unless I am totally naive do not perceive any overt acts towards them, in fact the opposite such as your kids and our kids attend the same schools and activitites and are friends.

I will frankly state the biggest offenders I currently come into contact with are people in my own generation bracket, 65 years plus. These are the ones who apparently cannot agree the environment they were brought up in was wrong and they need to change. It is hard to argue with idiocy on either side.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:49 AM

171 posts, read 354,357 times
Wyoming is where we moved for diversity (racial and financial) great schools and walkability. Your price point may be a little tough, but you can find good houses at your price as well, there will just be some duds out there that you have to filter through. Kids mostly all walk to school. A few shops are downtown and there's a village green where they have events on a weekly basis during the summer. You will not find tons to walk to, but it's enough for me. Couple of restaurants, meat market, bakery, dry cleaner, library, bike shop, etc are all walkable from my house.

Wyoming is very well known for schools (generally in the top few in the state every year...2nd last year and 1st the year prior) so you will not have to worry about public schools, which is a concern of some of the areas that were mentioned.

May not work for you, but thought I would throw it out there as you narrow your search.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:42 AM

41 posts, read 76,826 times
I would strongly encourage you to check out Northside. I'm surprised it doesn't get more attention in this forum. It is central - 5-10 mins form downtown. As of last census, it was 60/40 (and offers other forms of diversity). Northside scores a 91/100 on Walk Score's walkability index, with a bunch of restaurants, bakeries, shops, library, parks. It has the old architecture like German Village, and it's extremely affordable, with nice single family homes available from $100-200K. It has a strong montessori moving in next year.

You should have a look.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:10 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,941,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlliesThoughts View Post
I would strongly encourage you to check out Northside. I'm surprised it doesn't get more attention in this forum. It is central - 5-10 mins form downtown. As of last census, it was 60/40 (and offers other forms of diversity). Northside scores a 91/100 on Walk Score's walkability index, with a bunch of restaurants, bakeries, shops, library, parks. It has the old architecture like German Village, and it's extremely affordable, with nice single family homes available from $100-200K. It has a strong montessori moving in next year.

You should have a look.
I love northside and agree that it is a good choice. I sometimes think the vibe of our board as, perhaps, a little stodgy keeps the northside boosters at other websites like urbanohio.

Northside has perhaps the best and most interesting business district in the city, which is a huge plus given how many lousy business districts we have. Some of the transitional areas are also potential great investment areas. Even now they are building and selling new condos in northside. On the other hand, I note a fairly substantial income divide between the races in that neighborhood and wonder about racial tension similar to OTR.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:24 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,022,823 times
Quote:

You should have a look.
I strongly second this recommendation! (Northside is all of the above.)

Old 07-25-2011, 11:53 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
I love northside and agree that it is a good choice. I sometimes think the vibe of our board as, perhaps, a little stodgy keeps the northside boosters at other websites like urbanohio.

Northside has perhaps the best and most interesting business district in the city, which is a huge plus given how many lousy business districts we have. Some of the transitional areas are also potential great investment areas. Even now they are building and selling new condos in northside. On the other hand, I note a fairly substantial income divide between the races in that neighborhood and wonder about racial tension similar to OTR.
I've posted before here more than once about the positive trend in Northside as far as rehabs, property vaues and the retail that follows that kind of development. I'd give Northside a "most improved neighborhood" hands down over the 11 years I've been in Cincinnati.

To say Northside has "perhaps the best business district in the city" is a gross mischaracterization, though and downright laughable when compared to Clifton, Hyde Park, Mt. Lookout, Milford, or even Cheviot, Mt. Washington, old Montgomery or old Blue Ash. Or probably others I haven't even thought of.

Upward trending property values aside, I certainly don't think it's a desirable or even appropriate choice for a family like the OP's as described in the initial posting. Racial balance on paper doesn't mean a thing in the context of wanting a safe, middle-class environment to raise kids in. Sad to say--and admittedly generalzing to some extent--most of Northside's African-American population is either very poor or making a good living off the drug trade. The white Northsiders are a mix of reasonbly well-off gay couples; young, childless artsy types; and the poor Appalachians who've populated the neighborhood for generations.

I agree that the ginormous condo development that actually appears to be finally happening is going to give Northside another big boost. But in good conscience I don't see how anyone can tout it as a place to raise kids--yet.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:43 PM

41 posts, read 76,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
I've posted before here more than once about the positive trend in Northside as far as rehabs, property vaues and the retail that follows that kind of development. I'd give Northside a "most improved neighborhood" hands down over the 11 years I've been in Cincinnati.

To say Northside has "perhaps the best business district in the city" is a gross mischaracterization, though and downright laughable when compared to Clifton, Hyde Park, Mt. Lookout, Milford, or even Cheviot, Mt. Washington, old Montgomery or old Blue Ash. Or probably others I haven't even thought of.

Upward trending property values aside, I certainly don't think it's a desirable or even appropriate choice for a family like the OP's as described in the initial posting. Racial balance on paper doesn't mean a thing in the context of wanting a safe, middle-class environment to raise kids in. Sad to say--and admittedly generalzing to some extent--most of Northside's African-American population is either very poor or making a good living off the drug trade. The white Northsiders are a mix of reasonbly well-off gay couples; young, childless artsy types; and the poor Appalachians who've populated the neighborhood for generations.

I agree that the ginormous condo development that actually appears to be finally happening is going to give Northside another big boost. But in good conscience I don't see how anyone can tout it as a place to raise kids--yet.
I would invite the OP to make that decision for them self. There are a lot of young families in Northside (even inter-racial!) In fact, many young families are moving to the neighborhood to find the same things the OP seeks. It is a "safe, middle-class environment to raise kids in," with racial and economic diversity, walkability, an interesting business district, and decent public schools.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
I would invite the OP to make that decision for them self. There are a lot of young families in Northside (even inter-racial!) In fact, many young families are moving to the neighborhood to find the same things the OP seeks. It is a "safe, middle-class environment to raise kids in," with racial and economic diversity, walkability, an interesting business district, and decent public schools.
Well, I can certainly agree with your first sentence. Anybody who'd make a decision about where to live based on what people say on these boards needs more help than anyone here can possibly give them.

I personally wouldn't choose Northside (and especially its public school) for my family. School-wise, you could hardly do worse, and although you may be privy to population shifts I'm not aware of, it surprises me that middle-class people who can afford different would choose it for their kids. There are simply much better choices which still offer the diversity the OP asked about. But yeah, sure...have a look, just don't OVERLOOK the school rankings. Or the crime stats.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
... It is a "safe, middle-class environment to raise kids in," with racial and economic diversity, walkability, an interesting business district, and decent public schools.
I thought maybe I was somehow misinformed about Chase School, the elementary which serves Northside. Please tell me you were just kind of talking off the top of your head, and that YOU don't have a kid in this school, at least by choice.

"Academic Emergency. Number of state indicators met out of 15:1. Performance Index (0-120): 68." This is a "decent" school to your way of thinking? Are you kidding me?

And diverse? Black, 86 percent; economically disadvantaged 92 percent? Are you kidding me?

http://www.ode.state.oh.us/reportcar...ILD/006015.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati