U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 01:56 PM

2,886 posts, read 3,951,520 times

Advertisements

Wow, those CPS school report cards are interesting. OP, suggest you take a look at Hartwell and its beautiful, newly renovated building. Might be more along the lines of what you're looking for. Can't beat the numbers for diverse.

http://www.ode.state.oh.us/reportcar...ILD/015529.PDF
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 02:04 PM

41 posts, read 64,936 times
Easy Ms. Perry,

Winton Montessori (http://www.ode.state.oh.us/reportcar...ILD/041863.pdf) is relocating to their new building in Northside next year. It is an effective school, with strong parental support.

Chase has struggled, as many community schools have. But, it has also improved since last report card under a new principal.

As you would probably expect, many children in the neighborhood attend magnet public schools, particularly Fairview (http://www.ode.state.oh.us/reportcardfiles/2009-2010/BUILD/011247.pdf. ).There are strong public school options in the area.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:13 PM

307 posts, read 440,927 times
I'll put out prospect hill as an option well. Diversity on a "per street" basis is probably one of the better in the city. Out of folks with kids I'd guess half are non-white. School wise it seems to be mainly scpa or fairview. Nothing can be going to check all these places out and seeing what "clicks" for you.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:27 PM

2,886 posts, read 3,951,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlliesThoughts View Post
Easy Ms. Perry,

Winton Montessori (http://www.ode.state.oh.us/reportcar...ILD/041863.pdf) is relocating to their new building in Northside next year. It is an effective school, with strong parental support.

Chase has struggled, as many community schools have. But, it has also improved since last report card under a new principal.

As you would probably expect, many children in the neighborhood attend magnet public schools, particularly Fairview (http://www.ode.state.oh.us/reportcardfiles/2009-2010/BUILD/011247.pdf. ).There are strong public school options in the area.
"The area" is a vague concept that can be drawn to a whole lot of different sizes, but if you want to change the parameters, Fairview's indeed not a bad option at all. It's just in a different neighborhood from Northside, and it's a specialized language magnet school. Winton Montessori, to my knowledge, is nothing to write home about, and if the school's not open yet, it isn't in Northside, either. Just being a Montessori school doesn't necessarily mean it's a school I'd want my kids in, but maybe that's just me.

I'm never sure what it means when people say that a school "has struggled." It sounds so warm and fuzzy, like "the poor, dear, brave school is trying its hardest, really it is!" Without assigning blame, a bad school is still a bad school. If Chase has improved to the extent that it's now meeting two indicators out of 15 instead of one, or if it now has 35 percent of kids making the grade in some category instead of 32 percent, I guess that's better than nothing--especially for parents who really have no choices. But I'm still afraid I'd have to say no thanks.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:15 AM

41 posts, read 64,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
"The area" is a vague concept that can be drawn to a whole lot of different sizes, but if you want to change the parameters, Fairview's indeed not a bad option at all. It's just in a different neighborhood from Northside, and it's a specialized language magnet school. Winton Montessori, to my knowledge, is nothing to write home about, and if the school's not open yet, it isn't in Northside, either. Just being a Montessori school doesn't necessarily mean it's a school I'd want my kids in, but maybe that's just me.

I'm never sure what it means when people say that a school "has struggled." It sounds so warm and fuzzy, like "the poor, dear, brave school is trying its hardest, really it is!" Without assigning blame, a bad school is still a bad school. If Chase has improved to the extent that it's now meeting two indicators out of 15 instead of one, or if it now has 35 percent of kids making the grade in some category instead of 32 percent, I guess that's better than nothing--especially for parents who really have no choices. But I'm still afraid I'd have to say no thanks.
I'm not sure why a struggling school gives you a "warm and fuzzy" feeling.

I agree, Chase is not a great school right now, but it doesn't characterize the neighborhood. In Cincinnati, magnet schools draw many students from all over the city. If you attended public school here, or have children who do, you know that. To imply you are limited to only the schools within the geographic boundaries of your neighborhood is misleading. Northside parents who who seek a quality education for their children have strong options within the area (a 5-10 min drive).

Winton Montessori is currently open, and will be called Parker Woods Montessori at its new location.

Old 07-30-2011, 05:36 PM

288 posts, read 235,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
I thought maybe I was somehow misinformed about Chase School, the elementary which serves Northside. Please tell me you were just kind of talking off the top of your head, and that YOU don't have a kid in this school, at least by choice.

"Academic Emergency. Number of state indicators met out of 15:1. Performance Index (0-120): 68." This is a "decent" school to your way of thinking? Are you kidding me?

And diverse? Black, 86 percent; economically disadvantaged 92 percent? Are you kidding me?

http://www.ode.state.oh.us/reportcar...ILD/006015.pdf

I went to chase elementary school and hated it! All people used to do was fight, it didn't matter if you were black or white, but that was years ago I would be very surprised if all of that has changed. I was so happy when my mother took me out of that school and put me in Clifton Elementary..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or