U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 11:08 AM

3 posts, read 5,450 times

Advertisements

I'm possibly relocating to Cincy area and working out the neighborhoods seems nearly impossible at this point.

We have an interracial family so diversity is important. I want something at least somewhat walkable. I need decent schools - and I mean public - looking for at least an effective rating for the elementary. We like a city environment, which usually the walkability takes care of. Looking to purchase or lease/purchase between 160K and 260K, at least 2Ksq ft, at least 3 bedrooms.

As you can guess with the walkability and diversity requirement this usually puts us in the older parts of any city so neighborhood dynamics strongly come into account.

I'm currently in German Village in Columbus and really like it if that helps. Diverse, schools (if you do the lottery) are fine, very walkable, but purchase price for that square footage is over 260K and my family is in SW Ohio so we would like to get closer (but not too close).

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 11:25 AM

10,139 posts, read 22,440,335 times
I urge you to move beyond the "diverse" thing. there isn't a single nice neighborhood where your family's racial mix will make any difference whatsoever. This is 2011. People don't even notice the mixed race family makeup anymore.

But there is no diverse neighborhood in Cincinnati if that means a neighborhood with a racial mix spread of less than 50 percentage points. You will find 90/10, 80/20 but you will not get beyond that.

My SIL and her AA husband live in the most often touted "diverse" neighborhood (Kennedy Heights) and she is the only white person living on her street. Diversity on my street means a black cardiologist and two Indian families and two gay couples.

You will search for the diversity you are looking for and will not find it because it does not exist. Just come to Hyde Park, MtLookout or Oakley, find a nice house and relax.

Last edited by Wilson513; 07-24-2011 at 11:34 AM..

Old 07-24-2011, 11:30 AM

Default RE: Diversity

I don't need a 50/50 mix, or even 25/75. I just need a presence. I don't want my son to have the only brown face on the street. So your example of one black family and two Indian families would work for me.

I would, of course, prefer a better mix. There isn't any decent neighborhood where more than 10% of the population is black, without it tipping to 80% black?

I don't think I'm going to find a 2K SF house in Hyde Park for under 260K. Am I misunderstanding that neighborhood? I thought Oakley or Pleasant Ridge might fit the bill. What are your thoughts on those neighborhoods?

Old 07-24-2011, 11:40 AM

3,335 posts, read 5,733,381 times
Pleasant Ridge fits the bill. The brand new Montessori school has tons of community support, I've posted at greater length about it before. Most of the "new wave" of kids is younger than what they are testing for at the state, but we'll see what happens. Also, North Avondale, College Hill, Kennedy Heights, and Hartwell

Check out this report:
http://www.cincinnatusassoc.org/atta...s/1/stable.pdf

It is called "hidden treasures - stable integrated communities in Cincinnati" or something to that effect. another related link: Stable Integrated Communities Issues Page

Old 07-24-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briggsy4 View Post
I don't need a 50/50 mix, or even 25/75. I just need a presence. I don't want my son to have the only brown face on the street. So your example of one black family and two Indian families would work for me.

I would, of course, prefer a better mix. There isn't any decent neighborhood where more than 10% of the population is black, without it tipping to 80% black?

I don't think I'm going to find a 2K SF house in Hyde Park for under 260K. Am I misunderstanding that neighborhood? I thought Oakley or Pleasant Ridge might fit the bill. What are your thoughts on those neighborhoods?

I call my SIL's neighborhood Kennedy Heights since she lives just a few blocks from my employee in Kennedy Heights, but it is no doubt Pleasant Ridge. I doubt there is a single block in Pleasant Ridge where there is better than 80/20 either way.

North Avondale maybe. But who wants to live there? It is not walkable except up and down the street. You certainly would not want your child to walk to teh store or school.

Old 07-24-2011, 11:56 AM

Default Thanks Progmac!

Your links are extremely helpful. I really appreciate it.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:50 PM

While the links are interesting, and tend to prove my point, it is instructive to see how useless statistics are. East Walnit Hills is indeed diverse by a neighborhood statistical analysis. But I doubt that you could find 1% of the the city blocks in East Walnut Hills that meet the criteria because EWH is one of the most segregated neighborhoods in all of Cincinnati on a street by street basis. Try to find a single black family on Beechcrest, Keys Crescent, the 2700 and 2800 blocks of Wold, Dexter or Annwood.. Try to find a white family on Woodburn, Hackerry above 2800 or Hewitt. Etc. One street is all white, the next all black. At least in HP we are all mixed together.

Last edited by Wilson513; 07-24-2011 at 01:56 PM..

Old 07-24-2011, 03:34 PM

3,335 posts, read 5,733,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
While the links are interesting, and tend to prove my point, it is instructive to see how useless statistics are. East Walnit Hills is indeed diverse by a neighborhood statistical analysis. But I doubt that you could find 1% of the the city blocks in East Walnut Hills that meet the criteria because EWH is one of the most segregated neighborhoods in all of Cincinnati on a street by street basis. Try to find a single black family on Beechcrest, Keys Crescent, the 2700 and 2800 blocks of Wold, Dexter or Annwood.. Try to find a white family on Woodburn, Hackerry above 2800 or Hewitt. Etc. One street is all white, the next all black. At least in HP we are all mixed together.
There is some truth to that about parts east walnut hills - especially the very rich areas in the north section around Dexter, etc. Looking at the whole, the peebles corner area of walnut hills is very poor and all black and the northern part east of madison is very rich and all white. But there are some mixed middle class and yuppie streets farther south like Ashland, Upland, the other part of Hackberry, Cleinview, etc. Plus down around the park, the streets are very mixed racially. It isn't perfect but it also isn't completely segregated.

Walnut Hills is a funny example because you have the very poor and the very rich living in relative proximity. The other neighborhoods mentioned in this thread - Pleasant Ridge et al, are more generally middle class. I know that when I go to the park or library, my kid plays with white and black children. And the montessori school is like a brochure for integration. Not to say this isn't the case other places like Hyde Park and Oakley. On the other hand, my particular street is about 90% white, to Wilson's point.

Old 07-24-2011, 03:54 PM

3,383 posts, read 3,703,315 times
As mentioned before, Pleasant Ridge and Kennedy Heights. Affordable, diverse, and walkable.

Old 07-24-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
There is some truth to that about parts east walnut hills - especially the very rich areas in the north section around Dexter, etc. Looking at the whole, the peebles corner area of walnut hills is very poor and all black and the northern part east of madison is very rich and all white. But there are some mixed middle class and yuppie streets farther south like Ashland, Upland, the other part of Hackberry, Cleinview, etc. Plus down around the park, the streets are very mixed racially. It isn't perfect but it also isn't completely segregated.

Walnut Hills is a funny example because you have the very poor and the very rich living in relative proximity. The other neighborhoods mentioned in this thread - Pleasant Ridge et al, are more generally middle class. I know that when I go to the park or library, my kid plays with white and black children. And the montessori school is like a brochure for integration. Not to say this isn't the case other places like Hyde Park and Oakley. On the other hand, my particular street is about 90% white, to Wilson's point.

And, Bantry to which I referred before looks like an ideal diverse neighborhood street in Pleasant Ridge with a beautiful park on one side and the lovely Orchard Street on the other side and yet, there is one white person on the whole street. Its still a nice street and I could live there quite comfortably (I am not against living on a mostly all black street), but Pleasant Ridge also gets much of its "diversity" from statistics and not real house to house integration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or