U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2011, 07:54 PM

864 posts, read 1,197,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
Thanks. I don't think I'll spend that kind of time looking for year-old information. Seems odd that since Schneider is a city official, the city can't officially update the taxpayers once in a while, as opposed to somebody giving hints on some internet forum. Then again, what am I saying? It's not really that odd at all.
I know. It is kind of frustrating. The hints are usually along the lines of "Stay tuned for a big announcement tomorrow at noon" or something similar. But, it helps me keep up with things, so I'm not really complaining. Still, it would be nice to hear it officially announced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 07:16 AM

2,886 posts, read 3,953,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinciFan View Post
I know. It is kind of frustrating. The hints are usually along the lines of "Stay tuned for a big announcement tomorrow at noon" or something similar. But, it helps me keep up with things, so I'm not really complaining. Still, it would be nice to hear it officially announced.
And I promise this is not to criticize you personally, but "kind of frustrating" and "not really complaining" is so typical of the attitude people express here all the time. To me it seems pretty outrageous and unresponsive to the citizen taxpayers that the City of Cincinnati hasn't bothered to put up any information about the status of their project in months. They can't possibly think this lack of communication is appropriate, but what they know for sure is that they can get away with it exactly because so many people share your attitude.

For those of you who think I'm just somebody who hates progress, or as one poster's fond of saying, "wants Cincinnati to fail," can you see a problem here at all?

Old 12-12-2011, 09:45 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,655,183 times
After years of delays, setbacks and inaction, it looks as if the much-discussed U-Square project in Clifton Heights between Calhoun and McMillan is finally ready to break ground in January. With office, retail and restaurant tenants already on board, and a hotel close to being finalized, the project should be open by fall 2013.

This project, by the way, is in the area of the original uptown route for the streetcar. Should Cincinnati receive the TIGER grants to reinstate the original route plan, this new development will be linked to downtown (and tens of thousands more potential daily customers) by rail.

I wonder if, after nearly a decade of inaction on this project, its sudden groundbreaking slated for next month has anything to do with capitalizing on the streetcar? Or if it says anything about the likelihood of Cincinnati's awarding of the grants?

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...|topnews|text|

Old 12-12-2011, 12:49 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,369,950 times
Again, I am asking whether this reported dispute over the cost of utility relocation is for the original route, sometimes named the uptown route. Or is it for just the abbreviated route? Seems to me to be a big difference. $25 million claim by Duke vs a $5 million claim by the City. Who did the City's evaluation, some consulting engineering firm or what? What I am still asking and have not received a response to is whether these numbers are for the complete uptown route or just the abbreviated route. If just the abbreviated route I can easily see the uptown route, if OKed by the TIGER III grants, easily escalating the utility costs to double or over $50 million. This eats up the majority of the TIGER grant. So how can you proceed?

Granted, I am not a City resident. But after more than two years of repeated referendums to build the streetcar, these unknowns exist?

Why is the City so silent on this matter? I would have thought after the last ballot referendum they would be out their pumping their fists and ballyhooing the start of construction.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
..Granted, I am not a City resident. But after more than two years of repeated referendums to build the streetcar, these unknowns exist?

Why is the City so silent on this matter? I would have thought after the last ballot referendum they would be out their pumping their fists and ballyhooing the start of construction.
Bingo.

Old 12-12-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Bingo.
While the silence may not be the most appropriate thing to do, can you really blame them? Smitherman, Luken, and the rest of COASTare CONSTANTLY trying to find something to b&%$# about, and are always trying to devise a new lawsuit that will stop this project. Did you hear? COAST is trying to get the FAA in on the issue, saying the money that came from the sale of the Blue Ash airport ca n't be used for the project. This has got to be some of the most insane, desperate opposition to an issue like this in the US, so I really don't blame them for trying to actually get things done behind closed doors.

Old 12-12-2011, 03:15 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,655,183 times
Quote:
While the silence may not be the most appropriate thing to do, can you really blame them? Smitherman, Luken, and the rest of COASTare CONSTANTLY trying to find something to b&%$# about, and are always trying to devise a new lawsuit that will stop this project. Did you hear? COAST is trying to get the FAA in on the issue, saying the money that came from the sale of the Blue Ash airport ca n't be used for the project. This has got to be some of the most insane, desperate opposition to an issue like this in the US, so I really don't blame them for trying to actually get things done behind closed doors.
Those people are so obsessed that it's pathetic, really.

Old 12-12-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
They're simply doing what's worked well in the past, the kind of thing that leads to sweetheart deals under the table and in secret, and depending on the attitude of people like yourself who're willing to have public money spent without transparency or accountability. You may think it's the best way to get what you want, but in the long term this entrenched way of doing business leaves us all with a second-rate city, where public money doesn't accomplish what it's supposed to. You've been played.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
They're simply doing what's worked well in the past, the kind of thing that leads to sweetheart deals under the table and in secret, and depending on the attitude of people like yourself who're willing to have public money spent without transparency or accountability. You may think it's the best way to get what you want, but in the long term this entrenched way of doing business leaves us all with a second-rate city, where public money doesn't accomplish what it's supposed to. You've been played.
You don't know me. Don't try and tell me that I'm "willing to have public money spent without transparency or accountability." That is certainly NOT the case. I have been a conservative all my life, and I am all for responsible government. However, I care about my city more than any of this political bulls%$#. Look around. The city has half the people it used to, and has not done anything bold or creative in decades. This needs to change in order for this city to be anything more than "second-rate". If Smitherman and his lovable band of losers had their way, Cincy would stay the way it is forever. Therefore, I am all for the city doing what it takes to move forward. In your quest to be informed on the issue, have you gone to any of the streetcar information sessions the city has held? Have you been reading up on the project daily? I have done both, and I am confident that when there is something that needs to be announced, it will be.

Old 12-13-2011, 01:56 PM

The streetcar won $10.9 million in TIGER III grants!

Cincinnati streetcar wins $10.9M from feds - Business Courier
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati