U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2011, 09:51 PM

12,381 posts, read 22,642,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolden View Post
Hmm. Well, I grew up in a city with the old style streetcars, they were the size of a bus, about 10 times noisier, the ride was crap (really jerky).

Now, within the last year I rode the SF streetcar. They held about as much as a bus, but they were open to the air. The ride sort of sucked, but it didn't matter, because you were in SF, and at the end of the ride, you are at the ocean and Ghiradelli square.

I would doubt Cincy street cars will be open, since we have winters. No Ghiradelli square, no ocean...but we do have some great hills and great architecture!

So, maybe there is some sort of subtle reason it is better to make them ride on rails rather than just make slow moving busses that look exactly like streetcars and have a bell the "conductor" rings.
Well SF has Streetcars that are historic , only Portland , Philly and Toronto have Modern streetcars which are completely different. There enclosed , can hold up to 110 ppl standing and have alot of space for Handicapped people. There Heated and have AC , aswell as Auto announcements....there also quiet and barely shake or vibrate like historic ones...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 10:08 PM

405 posts, read 754,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Well SF has Streetcars that are historic , only Portland , Philly and Toronto have Modern streetcars which are completely different. There enclosed , can hold up to 110 ppl standing and have alot of space for Handicapped people. There Heated and have AC , aswell as Auto announcements....there also quiet and barely shake or vibrate like historic ones...
I looked up the Portland streetcars on Youtube. They seem pretty good. I don't really have strong feelings about the Cincinnati streetcar-- I must be the only one. If it works out and helps the city, thats great. I think the hills of OTR, Mt Auburn etc are awesome. I'd love to see the whole area turn around.

Old 12-15-2011, 05:59 AM

3,383 posts, read 3,700,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Average monthly salary in the Prague is $1,300 US. So tell me now how we should pattern Cincinnati after them.
Please return to my #159 post and read the "P.S." (okay?)

Old 12-15-2011, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insightofitall View Post
What exactly is that supposed to mean? What difference does it make if we watch those videos? It's not exactly like the streetcars will affect us....or are you advocating that we all move downtown?
No, out there in Oxford I don't think much of anything within the core of the Queen City would affect you--so just why ARE you so concerned about what transpires here, streetcarwise? It simply doesn't concern you!

Old 12-15-2011, 06:26 AM

2,886 posts, read 3,954,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
No, out there in Oxford I don't think much of anything within the core of the Queen City would affect you--so just why ARE you so concerned about what transpires here, streetcarwise? It simply doesn't concern you!
As I recall, you used to post frequently on the Cincinnati board when you lived in Franklin. Why did what happens here concern you at the time?

Old 12-15-2011, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Thanks for sharing the You Tube "SEPTA" videos, Nexis4Jersey and glad to see you entering this discussion on Cincy streetcars... (for those of you who aren't yet familiar with Nexis, he has traveled extensively throughout the dense NE corridor transportation networks and has provided "Urban Ohio" forum viewers with countless, fascinating videos of all kinds of rail)

Old 12-15-2011, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
As I recall, you used to post frequently on the Cincinnati board when you lived in Franklin. Why did what happens here concern you at the time?
A valid question, Sarah, and one with an answer. Virtually 2/3 of my life was spent in Cincinnati, except for three years abroad. Unfortunately, both my wife and I managed to completely screw up our lives IN Cincinnati, ending up having to find refuge and employment in Middletown, then Franklin. Over the last 1/3 of our lives, we simply became entrenched in middle aged fears of change, and thus clung to the jobs we had. Last year retirement came and (Presto!) we were "outta there." In hindsight, staying in Franklin so long was the dumbest thing we ever did. (as for myself, my psychic roots here in Cincinnati go deep, deep, deep...)

Last edited by motorman; 12-15-2011 at 07:25 AM..

Old 12-15-2011, 08:02 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,371,704 times
Hopefully construction on the streetcar will begin soon and finish sometime by the middle of the decade, with a minimum of cost extensions such as the $25 million versus $5 million utility relocation squabble. Frankly I cannot believe there is such a gap if any real planning has gone into the project, which is one of my concerns. But it is time to move the project forward. Everyone has had their say and the proponents have won.

I am disappointed in having to wait so long to see a result. It will either be a great boon to the central city or a huge bust. If the proponents are right we should see a flurry of new development along the route even prior to its completion, just in anticipation.

Was I correct in reading one respondent's post the car capacity will be 110 people standing? How many seated? I find it hard to believe a modern transportation system expects people to stand. Of course that is how they do it in Japan, far more people standing than sitting. But that is Japan, not Cincinnati.

But that is just kibitzing. Let's get the show on the road so we can use hindsight to measure the results.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:30 AM

2,886 posts, read 3,954,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
A valid question, Sarah, and one with an answer. Virtually 2/3 of my life was spent in Cincinnati, except for three years abroad. Unfortunately, both my wife and I managed to completely screw up our lives IN Cincinnati, ending up having to find refuge and employment in Middletown, then Franklin. Over the last 1/3 of our lives, we simply became entrenched in middle aged fears of change, and thus clung to the jobs we had. Last year retirement came and (Presto!) we were "outta there." In hindsight, staying in Franklin so long was the dumbest thing we ever did. (as for myself, my psychic roots here in Cincinnati go deep, deep, deep...)
Maybe the person to whom you wrote "No, out there in Oxford I don't think much of anything within the core of the Queen City would affect you--so just why ARE you so concerned about what transpires here, streetcarwise? It simply doesn't concern you!" is similarly interested in what happens in Cincinnati. The evident hypocrisy in the assumptions you seemed to be making was really my only point.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:09 AM

41 posts, read 64,949 times
Well, I'm going to put my chips on the streetcar. Just bought a vacant storefront on the route, and I'm encouraged to see others moving in around me. You are all welcome to come visit our progress anytime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati