U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-01-2011, 10:22 AM
 
Location: Mason, OH
9,259 posts, read 13,395,175 times
Reputation: 1920

Advertisements

So regardless of your definition of a Trolley, are Mayor Mallory and his cronies going to push ahead with their streetcar project or not? In the heat of the moment they avowed to continue regardless. But I have heard little the past number of weeks. Sounds like another political project to me, confirmed undying commitment until the first bump in the road when they fold like a pair against a full house in poker. To me getting a mass transit system off the ground in Cincinnati has about as much chance of success as a balanced Federal budget - pi**ing in the wind. As long as the politicians can divert the responsibility to our grand and great-grandkids they will.

I would think the current Federal Government problem of the national debt will overshadow many state and local projects. Today may result in a compromise 11th hour vote to extend the Federal Debt ceiling to avert a disaster. But it is nowhere close to an answer.

I just love such statistics as Philly has the largest streetcar system in the US by patronage with 110,000 daily riders. With a metropolitan area which ranks in the top 10 in the US of over 5,000,000 that is absolutely peanuts. I will bet there are several cab companies who transport more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-01-2011, 11:03 AM
 
Location: Clifton Heights, Cincinnati
75 posts, read 148,586 times
Reputation: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
So regardless of your definition of a Trolley, are Mayor Mallory and his cronies going to push ahead with their streetcar project or not? In the heat of the moment they avowed to continue regardless. But I have heard little the past number of weeks. Sounds like another political project to me, confirmed undying commitment until the first bump in the road when they fold like a pair against a full house in poker. To me getting a mass transit system off the ground in Cincinnati has about as much chance of success as a balanced Federal budget - pi**ing in the wind. As long as the politicians can divert the responsibility to our grand and great-grandkids they will.

I would think the current Federal Government problem of the national debt will overshadow many state and local projects. Today may result in a compromise 11th hour vote to extend the Federal Debt ceiling to avert a disaster. But it is nowhere close to an answer.

I just love such statistics as Philly has the largest streetcar system in the US by patronage with 110,000 daily riders. With a metropolitan area which ranks in the top 10 in the US of over 5,000,000 that is absolutely peanuts. I will bet there are several cab companies who transport more.
I love it, when people are on the opposite side of the issue, they become "cronies". May I ask why you are so concerned with how we Cincinnatians spend our tax dollars, considering you live in Mason?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2011, 01:14 PM
 
Location: Covington, KY
1,879 posts, read 2,128,101 times
Reputation: 595
Thank you for the correction, Nexis4Jersey. As I understand it, technically they are ETB's or "electric trolley buses." (The site says so somewhere.)

Since the fleet has "non-trolley" buses for the suburbs, to most of the natives "trolley" means the ones with the wires and poles.

Incidentally:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post

Those aren't Trolleys , there Trolleybuses......these are trolleys...
I think you mean they're not there.

.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2011, 01:45 PM
 
Location: Mason, OH
9,259 posts, read 13,395,175 times
Reputation: 1920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomomo11 View Post
I love it, when people are on the opposite side of the issue, they become "cronies". May I ask why you are so concerned with how we Cincinnatians spend our tax dollars, considering you live in Mason?
The same old song and dance. You don't live in Cincinnati so butt out of our business. But the first thing you will ask for is state and federal money for the project. And where does the Cincinnati money come from in the first place, not from those who live in the city but those who work there and/or spend money there. The bulk of the property tax dollars for those who live there go to the schools, or have you invented another scenario the rest of us have missed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2011, 03:17 PM
 
41 posts, read 65,043 times
Reputation: 33
One thing I find interesting about the Streetcar debate, is that the state recently broke ground on a $500 million project to add a lane and redo some exit ramps to I-75, (I-75 Mill Creek Expressway), and hardly anyone knows or cares.

As soon as the city tries do anything visionary, there is some grumpy fuss. I want city leaders who will LEAD us in new directions, try innovative strategies for growth, and make this an exciting place to live. This project is an investment in city infrastructure, which will spur economic activity, create jobs, and pump new life into the city center. Of course there will be some people who won't use it, Mr. Brill, but there will be may more who will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2011, 04:52 PM
 
10,139 posts, read 22,470,999 times
Reputation: 8244
The trolley car proposed is a toy, not a public transportation solution. Not even the start of a transportation system. It is an exercise in greedy irresponsibility by crooked politicians that are on the take of some developers and business people. It will ratchet the City down another notch just like the visionary statiums ratcheted down the county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2011, 05:04 PM
 
Location: Cincinnati near
2,511 posts, read 3,363,879 times
Reputation: 5621
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlliesThoughts View Post
One thing I find interesting about the Streetcar debate, is that the state recently broke ground on a $500 million project to add a lane and redo some exit ramps to I-75, (I-75 Mill Creek Expressway), and hardly anyone knows or cares.

As soon as the city tries do anything visionary, there is some grumpy fuss. I want city leaders who will LEAD us in new directions, try innovative strategies for growth, and make this an exciting place to live. This project is an investment in city infrastructure, which will spur economic activity, create jobs, and pump new life into the city center. Of course there will be some people who won't use it, Mr. Brill, but there will be may more who will.
I feel like we've been through this before. The reason why no one fusses about roads is that EVERYONE directly or indirectly benefits from roads. The trucks that stock our stores use roads, our police and fire use roads, our garbage gets hauled away on roads, etc. The streetcar benefits a very small group of "winners". I know I don't speak for all streetcar opponents, but my principle problems with the streetcar are threefold:
1) It's all style, no substance. Buses do the same thing at less cost and more flexibility, but are not as sexy.
2) It doesn't help commuters. The only time traffic is an issue at all in downtown Cincinnati is during rush hour and when there is a big event like a baseball or football game, and the bottlenecks are on the highway exit ramps. Public transportation is most successful in places where high population density creates congestion that can be bypassed by using public transit.
3)It's being forced without a public mandate. I understand the difference between mob rule and representative government, and I understand that there is a time for leadership to do something unpopular, but this is a clear case of a project that will benefit a small group at the expense of many. If we're in the business of wringing money out of the masses to benefit a small group, I would rather see the money spent on the mentally ill or victims of crime rather than the yuppies that are too cool to ride a bus, too lazy to walk, or too cheap to call a cab.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2011, 09:56 PM
 
Location: Clifton
36 posts, read 231,858 times
Reputation: 28
Can you pronounce "G-A-R-A-B-G-E"? The $treetcar $ystem $hall make money for ... ... ... certainly NOT the mayor & council peeps, eh?

BTW, if you want to ride on the oldest streetcar system in America, ride on the 1923 Thomas cars of the Saint Charles streetcar line in N'awlins. Yep, the cars were built for N'awlins in 1923! Here is a photo of one: http://www.neworleansonline.com/imag...treetcar.2.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2011, 08:19 AM
 
41 posts, read 65,043 times
Reputation: 33
Yes, I've ridden the street car in NOLA, and loved it. It serves as a means to move people from one business district to another. It also encourages development along the line, as business owners can capitalize on the visibility and foot traffic. I've also ridden the T in Boston and noticed the businesses that sprout at the stops. I've ridden the L in Chicago, and noticed the development along the line. I've ridden the MTA in New York and seen what a powerful tool rail can be.

All Cincinnatians would benefit from a thriving OTR/Downtown that brought more people, more business, and more money into the city.

"If I had asked my customers what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse." Henry Ford
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2011, 12:25 PM
 
6,351 posts, read 18,914,592 times
Reputation: 9895
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlliesThoughts View Post
One thing I find interesting about the Streetcar debate, is that the state recently broke ground on a $500 million project to add a lane and redo some exit ramps to I-75, (I-75 Mill Creek Expressway), and hardly anyone knows or cares.
Um, I-75 is THE North-South NAFTA route between MI/Canada & Florida. LOTS of highway users, not the least of which are several thousand trucks ever day. So the Mill Creek is nore than just a Cincinnati project. As I've previously stated, I LOVE street cars, busses and the rest of the mass transit vehicles. But we are already heavily invested in highway infrastructure. We must maintain/improve them before we consider funding for nice-to-have-but-not-neccessary transit project in these trying economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top