U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2011, 05:00 PM

3,389 posts, read 3,726,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
>one car costs $3.5-$4 million dollars

A modern streetcar such as the Skoda-based car that visited Cincinnati last year lasts three times as long (the average bus is retired after 12 years, whereas the average electric transit vehicle, be it subway, light rail, or streetcar, operates for 30+ years). So to compare a modern streetcar to a bus, you actually have to compare one streetcar & its maintenance over 30+ years to three buses and their work over 12 years apiece...
Glad to see you sharing this information on "City Data," jmecklenborg! (I'm most accustomed to reading your input over on "Urban Ohio") I think your comment here (combined with CinciFan's #226 post) will alleviate many various lingering fears. There's certainly more to say about those beautiful Skoda-based cars, but right now many of us just want to witness them, in person, on our downtown streets...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 05:22 PM

526 posts, read 1,263,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insightofitall View Post
I've said enough. I did NOT want to come back in here just to get upset and run my mouth again. I've done that too much, for which I apologize...but I can't help it sometimes. Things just get under my skin and I let loose. So carry on with the discussion. No need to respond to anything I've written, as it doesn't really matter much anyway.
Not at ALL! Thanks for sharing!

It is refreshing and informative to hear from someone with some first-hand experience in these matters rather to have a bunch of hypothetical hand waving about things -- the same kind of hand waving that we did 15 years ago when we decided to build two stadiums we couldn't afford on the hope and wish that it would bring all kinds of wealth to the area.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:44 PM

2,176 posts, read 877,179 times
Havent been on in a while whats happening with the streetcars?

Old 12-28-2011, 01:23 AM

864 posts, read 1,201,453 times
The design for the streetcar stops has been finalized. Link:Cincinnati selects final streetcar station design — UrbanCincy

The city received another $10.9 million in funding, so the route will go from the riverfront all the way up past Findlay Market.

The city should be making a decision on the actual streetcar rolling stock soon. They are choosing between 7 different models, 2 of which do not require overhead wires.

Construction should begin within the next couple of months, and the system will be operational at the end of 2013.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:29 AM

2,554 posts, read 5,856,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
I was there years ago in the dead of winter and I fell in love with its skyway system, too. How's ours working for you?

Seriously, I'm starting to get a clue about what drives the streetcar fanatics. I think a lot of you've visited cities which for whatever varied reasons Cincinnati can never even aspire to emulate. (For example, our cultural heritage and political climate could not be more different from Minneapolis if it were located on the far side of Mars.) You quite reasonably WISH Cincinnati were like those places. You quite naively think that a couple of high-profile, costly, big-quick-fix projects will transform Cincinnati into a prosperous, forward-looking, economic and educational powerhouse.

I wish you were right.
No, nobody wants to see Cincinnati become like Minneapolis; stop assuming things. It doesn't take much to realize that Cincy and MSP are two completely different cities. It also doesn't take much to realize that Philadelphia and MSP are two completely different cities, or Charlotte or even Memphis. But all of these cities have some type of rail system that actually has promoted growth in the area of rail and has been very successful. You get out and travel, you realize that wow, rail really is a benefit. Instead, most people around here think buses create the same type of high density, great quality growth that rail will bring; once again, it takes traveling around the country to see otherwise. Nobody wants Cincinnati to be anything but Cincinnati, you just notice another city's strengths and wish that you can build off some of that... hopefully.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
Well Salt Lake City has the support of the state and don't get funds yanked away from them.
Yes, must be nice. Doesn't it say something when UTAH is backing rail?

Old 12-28-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
I get what you're saying. But the City's track record of keeping other infrastructure, utilities, property, etc. clean, safe, well-maintained and efficient is honestly not very good. And they're cutting what resources they did expend on those efforts all the time. So what will make this investment different, I wonder?
Quote:
I just wish the city could come up with the, what, couple thousand dollars it might cost them to repave my street. It really does need it.
The way I see you complain about Cincinnati is truly amazing and seems like you don't get out much. Cincinnati is kept up and much cleaner than most cities I go to. I guess you fail to realize Cincinnati is an older city and isn't going to have roads and infrastructure like you find out in West Chester. Maybe a newer city will fit your bill? Charlotte, the other Queen City, might work for you.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insightofitall View Post
I've said enough. I did NOT want to come back in here just to get upset and run my mouth again. I've done that too much, for which I apologize...but I can't help it sometimes. Things just get under my skin and I let loose. So carry on with the discussion. No need to respond to anything I've written, as it doesn't really matter much anyway.
Hey, that's what this site is for... DISCUSSION. You're fine, and you did exactly that, you added to this discussion. We all have our opinions here, so no worries.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:52 PM

2,886 posts, read 3,970,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
No, nobody wants to see Cincinnati become like Minneapolis; stop assuming things. It doesn't take much to realize that Cincy and MSP are two completely different cities. It also doesn't take much to realize that Philadelphia and MSP are two completely different cities, or Charlotte or even Memphis. But all of these cities have some type of rail system that actually has promoted growth in the area of rail and has been very successful. You get out and travel, you realize that wow, rail really is a benefit. Instead, most people around here think buses create the same type of high density, great quality growth that rail will bring; once again, it takes traveling around the country to see otherwise. Nobody wants Cincinnati to be anything but Cincinnati, you just notice another city's strengths and wish that you can build off some of that... hopefully.
The point about the skyway system is that at the time it was supposed to be the big instant fix du jour for all downtown's problems. But apparently I didn't make that point literally enough, because both you and other poster completely missed the point.

Please, give me a break with the insulting assumptions you've made about me in several posts. You really know nothing about my personal history or experience. It's quite a bit broader than you seem to think. Just because someone reaches different conclusions from yours does not necessarily make them provincial or ignorant. It does not necessarily mean they are discontented with their circumstances. It just makes them different.

I'm going to stand by my contention that Cincinnati could do a lot better in terms of basic cleanliness and maintenance. You're welcome to disagree or to discount my attitude that people AND government organizations should maintain and take care of what they have before taking on large amounts of debt for risky public works projects. Again, you are most welcome to disagree. Your personal attacks are, however, most UNwelcome.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:
The point about the skyway system is that at the time it was supposed to be the big instant fix du jour for all downtown's problems. But apparently I didn't make that point literally enough, because both you and other poster completely missed the point.

Please, give me a break with the insulting assumptions you've made about me in several posts. You really know nothing about my personal history or experience. It's quite a bit broader than you seem to think. Just because someone reaches different conclusions from yours does not necessarily make them provincial or ignorant. It does not necessarily mean they are discontented with their circumstances. It just makes them different.

I'm going to stand by my contention that Cincinnati could do a lot better in terms of basic cleanliness and maintenance. You're welcome to disagree or to discount my attitude that people AND government organizations should maintain and take care of what they have before taking on large amounts of debt for risky public works projects. Again, you are most welcome to disagree. Your personal attacks are, however, most UNwelcome.
Skyway systems are a joke! I haven't said anything about them, so where you are getting at that with me is going over my head. They take life and vibrancy off the street. Doesn't take much to realize that though. Look at Dallas with the underground tunnels, tell me how lively downtown Dallas is with all those people underneath the ground.

Oh come on, like you have any room to even talk? Pot, meet kettle. You have sat there and typed post after post insulting peoples' opinions and where they get their credibility from. It is very evident in the way you post on here that you think Cincinnati is alone in just about everything. For instance, rail maybe. Risky? Cincinnati hasn't taken any risks in years, thousands upon thousands have left, and no one brings up any type of new development or way of thinking to promote and make the city a better place. The streetcar is one thing and won't be a complete game-changer, but it will be a game-changer in some of the most important parts of the city. Fixing YOUR street is YOUR priority, but not the city's. I am finally glad Cincinnati is taking an approach to building good quality development that brings in new people, income, more tax dollars, etc. Because the people that have whinned the city hasn't done enough for THEM specifically are the people that have kept Cincinnati from reaching its full potential. I can talk about Seattle/Tacoma which I was in not too long ago, and speak on rail and how well it has done even in a smaller city like Tacoma. Your experience recently with how well a city should do is Lexington, Kentucky... right! If you consider that a personal attack, than cry me a river and grow up. And about the whole "provincial and ignorant", what do you want me to say? Every single post you talk about in the manner you do with Cincinnati reeks of ignorance.

Once again, I don't give care if you think I should or shouldn't disagree with you, Cincinnati is much cleaner and well kept than most areas around the country, and once again, the whole older city/older infrastructure comes into play. I speak as someone who works more on the road than works more at home. I would think as someone who literally complains in almost everyone of her posts, that you would leave and find greener pastures elsewhere.

Welcome to City-Data, this is a discussion, and once again you do what you do best, assume. You're assuming I am attacking you on some personal level, which couldn't be any further from the truth. You have had a problem with me and anyone else who has a different opinion than you, and I frankly don't care because once again, this is City-Data, you're going to find that here. Everyone has a different opinion, and its going to be expressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati