Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2011, 02:26 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,790,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinciFan View Post
The streetcar won $10.9 million in TIGER III grants!

Cincinnati streetcar wins $10.9M from feds - Business Courier
Whoopdeedoo! They ask for 56.8 and get 10.9. From what I understand that won't even pay for the disputed utility relocation costs. So is the uptown link once again out the window? So where are those so positive of the TIGER III award now? They threw Cincinnati some crumbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 02:55 PM

865 posts, read 1,471,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Whoopdeedoo! They ask for 56.8 and get 10.9. From what I understand that won't even pay for the disputed utility relocation costs. So is the uptown link once again out the window? So where are those so positive of the TIGER III award now? They threw Cincinnati some crumbs.
Haha. You're the one who didn't think we would get any money. And now we have $11 million more, which if my sources are correct, will cover the extension to the Banks. So Whoopdeedoo indeed!

Old 12-13-2011, 03:05 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,790,065 times
Quote:
Haha. You're the one who didn't think we would get any money. And now we have $11 million more, which if my sources are correct, will cover the extension to the Banks. So Whoopdeedoo indeed!
Unless it is burnt up on utility relocation costs before they ever get to the Banks. Of course they can always just deny the utility costs and stick the citizens with the overrun. That is more likely what will happen.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:06 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,466,639 times
Quote:
The streetcar won $10.9 million in TIGER III grants!

Cincinnati streetcar wins $10.9M from feds - Business Courier
This is great news indeed. There were 828 applicants around the country for $526 million, so do the math. There are hundreds of projects that didn't get a thing. Of course you'll have the haters that are dancing around that Cincinnati didn't get the full $50 million, but they're irrelevant. This $11 million will allow the line to extend down to The Banks or it is a significant step toward realizing the uptown portion of the plan.

Either way, great news! Can't wait for the groundbreaking!

Old 12-13-2011, 05:47 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,975,677 times
Quote:
I still wish I knew what your "sources" are. When I asked before, you directed me to another internet forum and information that you said was a year old. Can you recall where you read the cost estimates for the Banks spur? Now that the project is moving ahead, I'd really like to find out SOMETHING about it.

Old 12-13-2011, 06:21 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,466,639 times
It's absolutely unreal the difference in tone on this board and more pro-Cincinnati boards such as UrbanCincy and UrbanOhio. Over there, the news is overwhelmingly being greeted positively, with celebratory posts and grateful relief that we're going to be able to expand the project (likely to The Banks) before ground is broken early next near. There's also an understanding that the Cincinnati streetcar was one of more than 825 applicants to request a TIGER grant and was the only Ohio project to be awarded with funds.

Here, predictably, it's the same old, same old: The rush to condemn, criticize, mock and forecasts of failure and gloom by people who have absolutely no idea what is going on.

Good God.

Does anyone remember the Debbie Downer skits on SNL? I swear at she posts on this board:

http://panasonicyouth.buzznet.com/us...uring-lindsay/

Last edited by abr7rmj; 12-13-2011 at 06:42 PM..

Old 12-13-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
I still wish I knew what your "sources" are. When I asked before, you directed me to another internet forum and information that you said was a year old. Can you recall where you read the cost estimates for the Banks spur? Now that the project is moving ahead, I'd really like to find out SOMETHING about it.
I will try to locate it. I get most of my information from the UrbanOhio forum. I have been following it daily for years, and people post links to this type of information as it becomes available. It's usually in the form of news releases, feasibility studies, etc.

As far as the Banks spur, I believe I read it right after the city was forced to shorten the route after Kasich took away the $50 million that had already been awarded to the streetcar. I will go back and try to find it. If I remember correctly, it was in the $7-9 million range.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:22 PM

Still looking. Found these along the way and thought they were interesting.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:46 PM

Found it. The cost of the Banks streetcar spur will cost $9 million.

Cincinnati to break ground on smaller streetcar starter route this fall — UrbanCincy

Old 12-13-2011, 07:47 PM

329 posts, read 699,898 times
Very interesting...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati