U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 09:05 AM

1,879 posts, read 2,125,588 times

Advertisements

News reports talk about the mayor wants them and some concerned citizens do not.

I used to have an apartment downtown on Walnut street and lived through not only nearby construction but all the buses heading south down Walnut street to where the buses congregate at the old federal building. Meanwhile, I grew up in Dayton riding trolley buses -- quiet, clean, etc.

I'm tempted to say anything's better than a collection of Metro buses, but I'm not sure about clanky, noisy streetcars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 09:48 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,381,264 times
All seems to be quiet on the streetcar front. Is anything happening? Are they going ahead with construction or not?

Old 07-31-2011, 12:25 PM

34 posts, read 63,831 times
The streetcar system recently passed an environmental assessment, concluding that no harm would be done. Other than that, we are at a stand still. Tax payers got robbed on Paul Brown Stadium, so I believe a lot of people are very leery about sinking more of their money into a "blighted" area.

Old 07-31-2011, 01:14 PM

4,730 posts, read 10,949,231 times
The streetcars of today (please don't say "light rail vehicle") aren't the "clanky, noisy" contraptions of old. (Although the clanking of trolleys on the street in front of the place I once lived in Boston was more like music. The hiss of the wires and clattering of the tracks used to lull me to sleep. I'm weird like that, I know.) Modern visions zip along without much more than a "whoosh" of air and a random clatter of the tracks. And in congested areas where there isn't enough distance to pick up speed much you don't even get the "whoosh." It's more like what Steely Dan once called a "mechanized hum." Better still, the blasts of heat and exhaust that we all do not love from buses are obviously non-existent.

Despite Kooky Kasich ("Let's have an OK Corral at the Golden Corral") yanking earmarked funds, a truncated streetcar project in Cincinnati is still on the table. But I've gone from full support to "on the fence." A route from Corryville downtown had potential. One that loops between the river and Findlay Market, not so much. In everybody's favorite city to hate, Detroit, the elevated Downtown People Mover monorail has been an unmitigated financial disaster. All it does is travel in a circle around what's still a mostly blighted and empty area. As for Motown's "heritage trolley," an attempt to bring nervous suburbanites back to the formerly posh Washington Blvd shopping district, that entire project has been scuttled and in mothballs for some time. No one took the bait. The restored skinny trolleys imported from Lisbon always had plenty of room for sitting as they plied the decaying boulevard. Cities throughout the US are (re)establishing streetcar lines at a rapid clip, and the public is loving it. But those lines go somewhere. 'most everyone who lives/works downtown and is car-less gets around on foot. Few tourists or conventioneers find themselves north of Court St (8th, for that matter) for any reason. OTR is still wracked by crime and sleaze regardless of section "rebrandings," fluorescent acorn lamps, and fancy new academic buildings. So I think that installing "light rail to nowhere" is an invitation to a fiasco. And the response on both sides is already predictable: "What a colossal waste of money! And it would've been that much worse if the line had gone all the way to UC!" "If the line had gone all the way to UC we wouldn't be having this discussion!"
Still, it's a start albeit a very weak one.

Old 07-31-2011, 02:12 PM

12,381 posts, read 22,655,217 times
They use these types of Streetcar made in the US by a US Company taken from a Czech Design.

Providence
Stamford < This system will be used to connect the different parts of the city to each other
New Haven < NH SC will be used to connect the different parts of the city to each other
New Brunswick
Philly < has the largest and will have the longest Streetcar lines by 2035 , also has the second busiest Streetcar system after Toronto with 110,000 daily riders.
DC
Baltimore
Northern Virginia < will bridge the gap between Metro and Bus network
Charlotte
Atlanta
Dallas
Tulsa
Minneapolis
St. Louis
Reading
Lancaster
Harrisburg
Brooklyn < a Small line connecting one historic neighborhood to the Core of Brooklyn.
Salt Lake City
Toronto < Has the busiest Streetcar network for now in North America
Vancouver,CN
Boise
Portland
Tacoma
Sacramento
San Francisco < Mostly tourist and historic streetcars
Los Angeles
Tucson
Seattle
Portland,ME
Manchester,NH

^ All plan on building or expanding there current streetcar systems. Streetcars tend to be cheaper to run and build and are perfect for smaller or mid - sized cities. They also attract younger people and Developers to cities and neighborhoods... Sometimes there used to connect isolated Neighborhoods like in Providence or Portland. There not a waste of $$$ like some people claim or old tech....

&#x202a;Portland Streetcar passing SW 10th/ Morrison&#x202c;&rlm; - YouTube

&#x202a;Streetcars in Portland, OR&#x202c;&rlm; - YouTube

Old 07-31-2011, 02:35 PM

34 posts, read 63,831 times
Here's a recent news article.

Latest anti-streetcar effort a detour for all light rail | Cincinnati.com | cincinnati.com

Old 07-31-2011, 03:17 PM

6,351 posts, read 18,900,730 times
According to the Talking Heads on WLW, there's an effort to put the street car construction issue on the ballot in November. I NEVER thought I'd be on the same side of an issue with the NAACP, but they're against it, too...

Old 07-31-2011, 06:07 PM

1,879 posts, read 2,125,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
The streetcars of today (please don't say "light rail vehicle") aren't the "clanky, noisy" contraptions of old. (Although the clanking of trolleys on the street in front of the place I once lived in Boston was more like music. The hiss of the wires and clattering of the tracks used to lull me to sleep. I'm weird like that, I know.) Modern visions zip along without much more than a "whoosh" of air and a random clatter of the tracks. And in congested areas where there isn't enough distance to pick up speed much you don't even get the "whoosh." It's more like what Steely Dan once called a "mechanized hum." Better still, the blasts of heat and exhaust that we all do not love from buses are obviously non-existent.
Ahem, goyguy....

The "trolleys" in my neck of the woods have great big TIRES on their wheels.

Dayton Trolley Coach Flyer 921 at Fifth and Main on April 21, 1999

Old 07-31-2011, 07:33 PM

12,381 posts, read 22,655,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
Ahem, goyguy....

The "trolleys" in my neck of the woods have great big TIRES on their wheels.

Dayton Trolley Coach Flyer 921 at Fifth and Main on April 21, 1999

Those aren't Trolleys , there Trolleybuses......these are trolleys...

&#x202a;SEPTA Subway--Surface Trolley Lines&#x202c;&rlm; - YouTube

&#x202a;PCII Heritage Trams in Philadelphia&#x202c;&rlm; - YouTube

Old 08-01-2011, 09:58 AM

41 posts, read 64,979 times
A streetcar could have huge impact on development Downtown. I drove the abbreviated route, and to imagine the buildings along Elm and Race reinvigorated got my adrenaline going. The buildings are incredible.

Five years ago I would have been less enthusiastic about the project. But OTR/Downtown has a lot going on now. There are people on Fountain Square every night now. Final Fridays on Main St are packed with people coming to check out the art. You can hardly get into the new restaurants in the Gateway Corridor.

There seems to be a pent up demand for urban life and activity, and the Streetcar could be the spring board for the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati